View topic - Diesel Particulate Filtering systems???

Diesel Particulate Filtering systems???

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Part of the furniture

Diesel Particulate Filtering systems???

Been looking at buying the new Suzuki GV diesel and one of the things that has popped up as a negative is the DPF system and how it continues to bring on a warning light and that it needs to be driven at a particular speed for a period of time to clear it or it is a trip to the dealer. In one of the posts someone mentioned that the new Pajero has the same type of system and that it is a nightmare too.

What is the go with this type of system? If it can't handle town/city driving then why is it being used? How many other new diesel 4x4's are using this system? What advantage is there with this system?

While looking through some stuff last night I noticed that the 4dr Jeep Wrangler sells at about $35k + on road as does the Suzuki GV and the onroad costs are going to have minimal differences, so the thought popped into the noggin that I could get a bigger 4x4 with more off-road ability for the same price and it would have a stronger driveline and more avenue for modification later (if the Mrs lets her guard down). Does any one know if the Jeep has this DPF system?

Any help on this would be appreciated as it is now decision time and this poor filter system could be a deciding factor in the final outcome.

Cheers

PP
You can only work with the tool God gave you.:D

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » March 11th, 2008, 9:16 am

Part of the furniture

Don't know about this DPF, but your question about getting a stronger vehicle; - If it were me, I would look at long-term fuel consumption if it was a daily driver and your current/future towing obligations.
I live V6

Unread postby v6hilux » March 11th, 2008, 9:29 am

Part of the furniture

Yeah the GV diesel is quoted at 7.6L/100 combined consumption and that is gunna be real hard to beat.

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » March 11th, 2008, 9:43 am

Part of the furniture

the DPF is basicly a exhaust carbon filter kinda like a cat conv on a petty engine. I think you will find that all new diesel vehicles will now have them fitted esp the ones comming out of japan and europe as they are about 5-10yrs ahead of us with emmisions control. In the scense of emmisons they are great, but as for servicing they are a pain, they have to be vac'ed out at service intervails........just another way of the manufacture grabbing you buy the n**s in regard to dealer servicing.
78 BJ40, 4" lift, 33's
82 HJ60, 4.5" lift, 33's
09 ML Triton GLXR, 3.5" lift, 32's

Unread postby fullmetaljacket » March 11th, 2008, 9:46 am

Part of the furniture

I know that it kinda defeats the purpose of the emission specs but is it something that could be removed if it became blocked while out whoop whoop to be able to get back home?

PP

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » March 11th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Part of the furniture

whoops, SOME filters have to be vac'ed out, others are a unservicable item and are throw away jobbies at specified service intervials, so I surpose if in a worst case scenario the filter can be removed, but it would play havoc with the sensors etc, in theroy it would work as a limp mode.....sorry I cant be of more assistance but we are only now getting DPF systems in on new trucks.....and they are a PITA
78 BJ40, 4" lift, 33's
82 HJ60, 4.5" lift, 33's
09 ML Triton GLXR, 3.5" lift, 32's

Unread postby fullmetaljacket » March 11th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Avid Poster

it was me who said about the new pajeros. and to my best knowledge they SHOULD regenerate themselfs automatically but with the new pajeros they are having issues getting them to regenerate themselves and a few of them have spent numerous times in at work getting the light to go out.

in theory its driving alot of small trips that causes them to block up and bring on a light, as they need heat and lots off it to burn out the soot so to speak and bring the filter back into line with specs. (for the pajeros around 700+ degrees c)

i have not yet seen any problem or heard of for that matter any problems arrising with the new suzis yet but they havent been around for very long yet.

oh and as said yes it is just a filter in the exhaust system that removes some of the soot and carbon deposits from the exhaust gasses.

if suzi ( well actually think its renau(spelling) or volvo who made the engine) have got it right you will not even notice it there. its only when they play up they are a bastard
hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask and i will try to help out as best as possible
cheers ben
:truck:swb mav. td42(needs turbo), cheezy front bar, bolsys sliders and rear bar. 2x xgt, 2x cibie hid. pathetic lift, 33s. never ending money pit.:crazy:

Unread postby BeNoS » March 11th, 2008, 5:16 pm

Part of the furniture

Patrolling Paddy wrote:
While looking through some stuff last night I noticed that the 4dr Jeep Wrangler sells at about $35k + on road as does the Suzuki GV and the onroad costs are going to have minimal differences, so the thought popped into the noggin that I could get a bigger 4x4 with more off-road ability for the same price and it would have a stronger driveline and more avenue for modification later (if the Mrs lets her guard down).

Never mind the Jeep comment, I had another look at the prices and the $35k is the petrol model the diesel starts at $39,950 or there abouts so it is out of the running for me.

PP

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » March 13th, 2008, 12:20 am

Part of the furniture

It seems that even the top end cars are having issues with this type of system
http://www.caradvice.com.au/1872/jaguar-s-type-xj-diesel-particulate-filter-recall/

PP

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » March 13th, 2008, 11:16 pm

Part of the furniture

Here's some more info I came across
Welcome to Western Tydens - Particulate Filters

PP

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » March 14th, 2008, 1:49 am

Part of the furniture

Jeez there is more and more if you look hard enough.
Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) : Diesel particulate filters - The AA

PP

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » March 14th, 2008, 1:56 am

Been here a while

The use of particulant filters and catalytic converters on diesel engines has been evolving as part of the requirement for vehicles, regardless of engine type, to comply firstly with Euro 4 and next Euro 5 standards for noise and exhaust emmissions.

The regenerative process is one way and probably one of the very few ways to remove particulants from diesel engines. When we get the 5ppm sulphur fuel this may change but very doubtful.

The reason why the regenerative process is required is to heat the system to the appropriate temperature to clean the particulants off the catalytic plates. This will rarely happen if the vehicle is used on the open road for reasonable periods as this brings the system temperature up so burning off the particulants.

But if the vehicle is used around town then the engine and system temperatures will never get hot enough.

Vehicle size and manufacturer has nothing to do with which has and will incorporate these systems as they are part of an Australian Design Rule requirement. Over the next year or so all diesel engines regardless of manufacturer and use will have these sorts of systems in order to comply.

Regards

RobA

Unread postby RobA » March 14th, 2008, 10:00 am

Return to Diesel Tech