1KZ Just stopped, won't start again.

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Inkathu
I'm new, be nice!

1KZ Just stopped, won't start again.

Unread post by Inkathu » April 28th, 2018, 5:16 pm

Hey All, in a bit of a pickle, my 2001 Extra Cab TD Hilux (1KZ i'm pretty sure) just stopped working, I was driving it on my land with my father, I wen't through a little mud bog to get to the place i needed to be and it was fine, then on the way back through the bog engine just cut out, No warning no bangs no weird sounds just stopped. I first though it was water ingestion but after inspecting everything seemed to be water tight (Checked Snorkel, Air box, Engine and Turbo) in fact there was no water or mud in the engine bay.

We tried to restart the engine and it turns over and runs on its own power for about 3 seconds, you can hear the turbo spool up and all, then it just stops, there is fresh diesel in the tank and the warning lights are off. I think it might be the fuel pump or the fuel filter (Checked everything i am comfortable checking, Air box, oil fuel tank etc. and everything seems to be in order) It conked out on a hill, is it possible scum in the tank has flown to the back of the tank and the fuel pump is now clogged? anyone on here that can give me some pointers? As it is just sitting out in the rain atm waiting to be fixed. Thanks :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 1KZ Just stopped, won't start again.

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 28th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Any chance you've blocked the exhaust pipe with mud, or filled the muffler or something underneath with mud? Maybe even the fuel tank breather??

That said, generally if you've done that sort of thing the engine tends to slow & splutter/choke until it stops running rather than it just cutting out!! And water ingestion blockages big enough to cause stoppages aren't 'gentle & quiet' things, you will feel & hear the BANG when it stops & very likely see the bits that have broken! :petrified:

Just cutting out suggests it's more likely to be a fuel blockage or air blockage.... OR possibly the fuel cut solenoid has failed &/or the electric pulse that allows the injection into each cylinder to go ahead has failed or been blocked for some reason.... :urgh: That type of stoppage is not easy to localise or identify, and it can take a fair bit of trial & error electrical work! :o
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Inkathu
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 1KZ Just stopped, won't start again.

Unread post by Inkathu » April 28th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to look at it again tomorrow, It was pouring down rain when it stopped so i didn't have a chance to check anything more than oil and the engine bay, nothing out of the ordinary no oil in the bay or coolant, from what i've heard it is fuel related, will go look at the exhaust tomorrow, thanks again

Return to “Diesel Tech”