2008 2.5 diesel Ranger starting issue

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

2008 2.5 diesel Ranger starting issue

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » March 2nd, 2018, 10:31 pm

Asking for a mate, copy paste of problem.
Does anyone has same issues / experiences with ranger 2008 2.5 diesel where wont start. You can crank all day but wont fire . If you push start it or roll start it fires straight away blows heap of smoke and sometimes feels like its starving for fuel. If you can see if anyone else has problem.

Mix4x4ing
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 2008 2.5 diesel Ranger starting issue

Unread post by Mix4x4ing » May 24th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Sorry to bomb your post I have a similar issue on my BT50 2.5 sometimes mine will crank for a couple of seconds and then Start other times it will crank for a long time waiting between cranks as to not burn out the starter. I’ve put a obd2 sensor checker and when it’s running it has fuel pressure at around 4500 psi and goes upto 15000psi when you rev it, does blow a bit of black smoke when you rev it but other than that it runs really well when it’s going. Not throwing any codes, I’m wondering if the fuel pump in the tank could be shot and depriving the injector pump of fuel.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 24th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Les, what's the colour of the smoke that it blows if you roll start it?? White & smells of unburnt diesel, or black & smells of partially burnt diesel??

That aside, the symptoms could be something to do with low compression, which becomes less of a starting issue once the oil starts getting pumped around the cylinders (when you roll start it) but then it does sorta sound like the fuel might be draining back to the tank from the IP.... any loose fuel supply line joins, loose banjo bolts, or maybe a filter not sealing properly or something similar?? When it's running, does it look or sound like it's sucking air into the fuel line anywhere, especially when it feels/sounds like its starving for fuel?? Is there a sight glass on/after the fuel filter?? If there is, does the fuel have lotsa tiny bubbles in it?? Or does it look clear & fresh with a new straw colour?? Does priming the fuel pump before you try starting make any difference??
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

whitsky
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by whitsky » June 16th, 2018, 4:45 pm

I’m having a issue with my BT50 2007 diesel not starting. I have all the lights on dash and when I turn the key there’s a sound like ball bearings rolling in the key barrel. I had it in to an auto Levi and they had it all day and found nothing wrong with it. They tested everything but no problems. I thought of the key barrel but they say no. Can someone please help. Sometimes I can start on the second turn of key or I can sit for an hour trying to start. Thank you any advice would be helpful.

Return to “Diesel Tech”