3.0 5l hilux cant get it running

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
james3993
I'm new, be nice!

3.0 5l hilux cant get it running

Unread post by james3993 » February 27th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Hi everyone.

I have a 98 4x4 3.0 diesel (5l) hilux.

Engine was a low on compression and had a heap of oil leaks so I have recently gave it a basic freshen up.

I replaced rings, bearings, gave it a light hone, full gasket kit, full timing belt kit, diesel pump front seal, glow plugs, valve regrind and head planed.

Engine was reassembled correctly and to proper specs everything is correctly timed all marks line up dead on. Engine turns over fine now has plenty of compression turns over freely without any odd noises or anything out of the ordinary.

Have also bled the fuel system, is glowing up properly, is getting fuel into injectors.

My knowledge with diesels is somewhat limited as this is my only one I've had although I have plenty of experience with petrol engines and have reassembled those before with no problems.

Everything's plugged in, all lines are on properly, its all timed properly all marks line up, its glowing up getting fuel but will not go.

I sprayed a little bit of aerostart into it today and it sounded like it wanted to go but other than that just winds over.

Just wanting to know anything else I can check or other potential issues something I may have done wrong or something I don't know before I have to send it to the mechanics as patience and time are running low.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 3.0 5l hilux cant get it running

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 27th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Did you check or replace the injectors?? Check the Inj Pump internal timing & the injection charge delivery pressure? If the engine was tired then there's a very good chance that the injectors & injector pump were tired too, and the injector pump condition is often WAAAYYY more important than having compression that's any better than 'just OK' - most diesel's will run with 'just OK' compression in the cylinders, but if so then the injector pump timing not only needs to be pretty spot on, but the internals of the pump itself also really need to be micrometer fine, timed to the microsecond, clean, & fully within spec; similarly for the injectors themselves!!

So given the condition of your engine, even if you've got the timing right (for the IP too) then unless your IP & Injectors have been stripped & re-done by a competent diesel tuner with a clean room or workshop to rival NASA's, then there's a good chance that you'll find that's the problem & why it's not running!! :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

james3993
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by james3993 » February 27th, 2018, 5:07 pm

They were working before I pulled it apart though would think it would still run even if it did run badly wouldn't it? As the engine itself ran and performed fine was just smokey. Had an oil smell not unburnt diesel smell as engine was burning oil. Pump and injectors had suposedly been reco'd a little before i got the vehicle but unsure. Being that I've pretty much only removed these parts and reinstalled them that shouldn't be the cause of my problem should it?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 27th, 2018, 5:42 pm

james3993 wrote:
February 27th, 2018, 5:07 pm
They were working before I pulled it apart though would think it would still run even if it did run badly wouldn't it? .....
Yeah... NO!! Not necessarily..... :boggle:

Dunno if I might be preaching to the converted or even trying to teach someone's Granny to suck eggs, but for those who might not know - If the engine was tired & the IP & Injectors had been set up to help a tired, 'low compression' diesel engine run as best it could, then there's a good chance that the injection timing is a fair whack off what is any good for a full spec/full compression diesel!! Add to that the possibilities for sloppy internal timing, transfer pressures, & fuel dribbling out of the injector nozzles (IF there still are any nozzles) instead of atomising & spraying in at the correct time for a full compression motor, you even stand a pretty good chance of SERIOUSLY damaging that 'refreshed' diesel engine by trying to run it with a tired IP & potentially dodgy injectors!! :eek:

Yeah, sure, some blokes down the pub or even on the Forum might've gotten away with it once or twice, but seriously, diesels & their IP's, Injectors, & timing (pump internal AND injection) are a lot more 'unforgiving' than petrol engines, even tho once they are refreshed PROPERLY (which includes the Injector pump & the Injectors) they will probably be waaaaay more reliable, economical, & robust for the long kms than any petrol engine!! It sounds to me like you need to find a good I/Pump re-builder & Diesel Tuner, and get them to wave their magic wand over the entire fuel system! Get it done right, paying attention to EGT's & the proper fuel delivery/AFR & you'll get better power, reliability, and fuel economy than any other way!! Ignore your IP & injectors on a diesel to your peril!!

While I was running a collection of diesels hundreds of thousands of kms a year, I always went to Cooma Diesel in Canberra while I was over there, or Murray Bridge Diesel here in SA since I moved back here (altho I did do more than one Cooma Diesel run for full-on pump rebuilds &/or performance/extreme tuning tho!) Took a couple of vehicles to Berrima Diesel too, they certainly do a pretty good job as well, definitely up amongst the best ever/around; and these days there are some pretty good diesel places in just about every State & Capital City, unlike back in the 70's & early 80's when the choice was pretty much drive or truck to Cooma or Berrima, or take your chances with the local mob until you could get the pump to Cooma or Berrima & get it done properly!!

Good Luck! :thumb:

Ps: another thought that might be even more basic than any of the above - have you properly primed the IP, making sure you have fuel at the top of each injector?? If you haven't, you'll need to!! And another thing, old pumps often have tiny little 'filters of last resort' dropped into the guts of the pump under the fuel inlet banjo, and if that or the outlet/return inline filter is blocked or not primed, your engine isn't getting fuel OR possibly cooling/lubricating fuel to the IP & Injectors, another potential for expensive damage, and even more good reasons to get it to a good diesel tuner!

And lastly, a SERIOUS WORD OF WARNING - if you do the fuel system priming yourself, be VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GET HIT BY INJECTOR PRESSURE FUEL OVERSPRAY - IT CAN BE FATAL WITHIN MINUTES!! High pressure diesel hitting the skin can get into the tissues & if that happens, the only way to avoid a fairly quick but painful death is often to amputate the effected limb!! Not something to get wrong!! So if you aren't sure you can do it safely, pay a competent diesel tuner to prime the system properly, even if you aren't getting them to sort the IP & Injectors! :rolleyes:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » June 14th, 2018, 5:19 pm

The fuel pump primer goes in these old hilux's if you are too aggressive on the little hand pump.
Seen many a person on the Hilux stalkbook page posting "my car wont start" due to it not priming after a full rebuild, similar to what you have described.

Also see viewtopic.php?t=109281 (his was just a blocked pickup filter in the tank)

Peter can likely confirm the following so i am not responsible for a blown injector pump :)

Sounds like you've got everything but fuel.
I would take the fuel filter off and see if its got anything in it, if it is empty, that would be a telltale sign the primer is shot or a line is blocked.
If that's the case, fill filter with diesel and try kick it over, if it starts and runs fine, its likely just the primer needs replacing.
If it starts and stops after a short period, check filter - if its empty you can bet its used the fuel in the filter and then run out of juice! So then you know you have a blockage between filter and tank, so blow lines out and re-check.
A simple check of the filter is to bypass it but i would NEVER suggest you do that - we have filters for a reason! :) and you never know if the previous owner has taken that banjo screen out!

What you reckon Peter?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 15th, 2018, 12:34 am

Sounds good to me!! Getting this sorted & the engine running is likely to be process of elimination rather than a light-bulb moment. :thumb:

And yeah, don't just bypass the filter, they ARE there for a reason, & the filter (&/or primer pump) is a helluva lot easier & cheaper to fix/replace than re-building the Injector Pump or having to replace the Injector Pump. ;)

Return to “Diesel Tech”