80 series solenoid gauze filter - how do I get at it?

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
workhorse
Been here a while

80 series solenoid gauze filter - how do I get at it?

Unread post by workhorse » February 1st, 2018, 8:40 pm

Im trying to remove and clean the tube gauze filter in the cut off solenoid in the injector pump but wondering how to access it?
Is this only done when the pumps off?
Thanks

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 80 series solenoid gauze filter - how do I get at it?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 1st, 2018, 9:36 pm

Is that tube gauze filter actually in the cut-off solenoid?? Or is it in the inlet, underneath where the inlet hose banjo goes into Inj pump &/or in the return line where it comes out of the pump/picks up the excess fuel returned from the injectors??!

I must admit it's been a while since I had an 80 Series I/P apart, but I don't think there was a filter involved with the fuel cut-off solenoid, just with those inlet & outlet banjos.... and they could both be accessed with the pump still installed, acting as a 'filter of last resort' for anything that made it past the main filter before it got into the IP proper, & to catch anything coming out of the IP itself in the return line or heading back from the injectors before it got into the rest of the fuel system.

Over to you, hope you get it sorted! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

workhorse
Been here a while

Re: 80 series solenoid gauze filter - how do I get at it?

Unread post by workhorse » February 2nd, 2018, 9:29 pm

The one that I have read about and seen photos of is in the solenoid unit. The description for removal makes sense but only if the pump is off the vehicle as access to it from above is impossible due to the pump getting in the way. I could possibly get an open ended spanner in from the side but don't have any leverage and very little swing on it.
Im not familiar with the filters you have mentioned. Ive taken the input line banjo off but it is a strange design with a central stud rising up and the banjo fitting around it.
Any help there or on the return filter much appreciated.

Im looking at these as Ive done a complete fuel line check and was amazed at the crud built up in the in tank filter so decided to do things thoroughly. I get the feeling no one looks at this and therefore it maybe a pump off job only.

Many thanks

Return to “Diesel Tech”