Got some Questions about my PJ Ranger Diesel?

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
jigga
I'm new, be nice!

Got some Questions about my PJ Ranger Diesel?

Unread post by jigga » September 27th, 2015, 9:28 am

Hi all i have recently bought a 2007 ford ranger PJ XL 3.0litre and would like to ask a few questions would love any feed back that was given as i have no experience with diesel powered engines, how can i tell that i have a 3.0 litre and not a 2.5 litre is there any markings or distinguishing features or some sort of identifications, what type of engine oil is the best suited for these engines does anyone know at what reves does the turbo come in what is the problem with EGR valve and the cooler i heard something about blanking off not sure what i need to do does anyone know roughly what fuel consumption i should be getting also not sure if timing belt has been changed at 100000 ks im at 160000 ks at the moment is there anyway of telling should i be worried about this would appreciate peoples comments to point me in the wright direction cheers

jigga
I'm new, be nice!

Re: TECH TALK

Unread post by jigga » September 27th, 2015, 9:29 am

Hi all i have recently bought a 2007 ford ranger PJ XL 3.0litre and would like to ask a few questions would love any feed back that was given as i have no experience with diesel powered engines, how can i tell that i have a 3.0 litre and not a 2.5 litre is there any markings or distinguishing features or some sort of identifications, what type of engine oil is the best suited for these engines does anyone know at what reves does the turbo come in what is the problem with EGR valve and the cooler i heard something about blanking off not sure what i need to do does anyone know roughly what fuel consumption i should be getting also not sure if timing belt has been changed at 100000 ks im at 160000 ks at the moment is there anyway of telling should i be worried about this would appreciate peoples comments to point me in the wright direction cheers

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Got some Questions about my PJ Ranger Diesel?

Unread post by mydmax » September 27th, 2015, 10:45 am

PJ's are all 3 litre in OZ. AFAIK.
Mobil Delvac MX ESP for low ash build up.
Other s have more close dealings with EGR and cooler on the Ranger than I have.
Consumption, around 9litre/Hundred km.
If in doubt with the integrity of the Cam belt, on any engine, you have it changed , purely to prevent very costly failure, ie, new engine.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: Got some Questions about my PJ Ranger Diesel?

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » September 27th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Yes, 3.0.

Specs say 5W-30 or 10W-30, many here swear by Penrite HPR Diesel 5.

Turbo varies, no set revs, depends on a lot of factors.

EGR, have a good search, the PJ/PK does have a few coolers that go, usually because of cooling system problems, warping and failure of cooler.
Have a read of this thread for solution viewtopic.php?f=54&t=158437
Also, EGR pumps back particulates into the intake, and can get stuck open.
The electronic fix about solves al lthe issues of full block and no CEL.

Personally, if you can get sub 10s on highway you're doing well, around town 12lt/100km.
YMMV (pun intended !! :)) depending on accessories fitted, and how heavy your right foot is.

Timing belt, most mechs would place the sticker from the kit oin your engine bay somewhere.
It's normally due at 120k.
If doing a kit (just under $300), then use the belt and adjuster, if the seals are ok (no obvious leaks), I would leave them, they are seriously a bit of a PITA, and easily damaged.

Consider fitting a catch can to take the oil out of the intake system.
It goes right through from pre turbo, and the intercooler may well end up with quite a bit in there, no way to drain it.
Also, if the oil mist going into the intake does mix with particulates from the EGR, it creates a tar like muck than can eventually block your intake significantly.

Many of these things (EGR & cooler, oil mist retic, etc) work great when motors are new to say 50k, but once they are affected a bit by the problems, can (I fell) cause motors to run less economically, and cause as much pollution as they were intended to stop.

Best of luck getting it the where you want, it is worth it as they are a great little 4WD, love mine as it's taken me on some great tours, and will do for some time yet I hope.

Return to “Diesel Tech”