Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Ozbush1
Been here a while

Re: Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Unread post by Ozbush1 » October 24th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Hey Hydranger,
It has been quite a while since we had talk.
Ha ha one of the photo is your EGR valve that you sent to me for look.
Your EGR valve had loose valve seat.
How is your Mallee fowl treating you?
Good to talk to you.
Cheers
Ozbush

cjbfisher
Here and there

Unread post by cjbfisher » November 5th, 2017, 8:10 am

Hi Young,
I've been trying to diagnose a noise that I have. There was something I read waaaaaay back in the thread that prompted me to think it might be the egr valve. The last few posts about faulty valves has prompted me to get your thoughts.
The noise I get is sort of like a rattly/chirping sort of noise. Almost like a dry/squeaky bearing.It only happens when the engine is under load, and disappears once it reaches 2000rpm. If you are driving nice and gently, you can't hear it, but as soon as you accelerate the noise starts until you reach 2000rpm. I asked my mechanic about it, but he couldn't pinpoint it. He didn't really spend a lot of time looking, though. There are no warning lights.
What are your thoughts?

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » November 7th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Hi cjbfisher
That could be the EGR valve rattle noise.
Also in my engine I had a very similar noise only happens around 2000RPM when I accelerate. But the noise persisted even when I disabled EGR system so it is not the EGR noise.
The EGR valve noise is like deep grinding sound when they can't get EGR flow detection.
They will open and shut repeatedly until they get EGR gas flow. When they can't get it for certain number of times then they put up check engine light.
Of course if your EGR valve seat is loose then you will hear grinding noise with clanking sound together. The loose EGR valve seat is not much a problem as long as they stick up then fall down to exact place, it still works without CEL until when they wear out then it fall down crook and jams the valve. Then car computer will pound it until they get to CEL.
The engine block is manufactured by Isuzu like all the 3.0 litre engines from Japan. So it is not the block noise except they got block resonance problem.
I recon all are in cylinder head area and its attached parts making noises somewhere.
I still remember there was a very experienced technician in this forum used know exactly where all the noises comes from. You may search for old forum posts.
Cheers
Ozbush

desertfrog
Here and there

Unread post by desertfrog » November 8th, 2017, 7:15 am

First thing to do, tweak alternator belt tension.

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » November 17th, 2017, 8:25 am

G'day ozbush
Isn't it great to see the forum up and running and now I'm able to join!
The manual mapped is up and working well in my PJ ranger! I'm happy with how it's working so taken the next step and blanked of the EGR and blanked of those inlet lines at last. No fault codes ... YES!
One question? I've cleaned both the MAP and MAF sencers but they as I might I can't get the relearn to work with the dongle? I've tried to manually do the earth procedure with the under bonnet and under dash OB2 ports as well. No joy
Any thoughts?

desertfrog
Here and there

Unread post by desertfrog » November 18th, 2017, 6:28 am

Make sure the engine temp is over 80c. Go for a drive and then pull up and carry out the sequence. Idling in the drive way won’t reach the temp.
Turn all accessories off, neutral or park. Hand brake on.
And no fault codes.

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » November 18th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Hey Desertfrog!!!
Good to see you again here.
The forum was disabled quite a while lost many good friends.
Thanks 4wd action to fix that. The biggest 4wd car forum in the world.
For CBD, go to Ozbushelectronics.com.au their website and download section has an article about Re-calibration dongle.
Basically, Turn off all the accessories including air conditioning and run around block to make sure the engine coolant temperature is over at least 85C. Then trigger the re-cal.
It always worked for me.
Cheers...

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » November 18th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Hi The new forum lost all the photos and attachments.
Maybe it is temporary condition. If it is not then I will reattach the photos back.
Ozbush

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 21st, 2017, 10:53 pm

Sorry Ozbush, but if any of the photos & attachments you've lost were hosted on Photobucket, then courtesy of Photobucket you probably won't see them ever again unless you pay their fee to allow 3rd party hosting - were any of yours hosted there? :o

If the pics etc were hosted here on the 4WD/EMG site we just might be able to get them back - I'll raise it with the IT bloke! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » November 29th, 2017, 9:36 pm

G'day all
Same thing. I've even tried it on the side of the road.
This ranger of mine refuses to go into "the relearn" procedure. After the MAP and MAF clean.
I've tried the computer input on the passenger side under bonnet. Fail
UBD connection left of clutch manually fail.
With the ozbush UBD fitting. same again.
Hot motor, on the side of the road! Nothing else working.
WTF.
It's a second hand ranger.
Could this have been written out of the computer?
Could I need a new MAP or MAF sensor?
2007 ranger but only 125000 km
Regards dave

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » December 1st, 2017, 9:39 pm

Did you turn off the air-conditioner?
The fan in the air-conditioner will cool the coolant temp below 80c and abort re-cal.
Otherwise the OBD connector has broken the pin.
Check it out.

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » December 3rd, 2017, 5:54 pm

G'day all
Nothing I do seems to do anything with the relearn. The little truck runs well and the fuel economy is good so I'll not worry about it and trust the ECU to adjust and learn itself. I'll buy an new sensor soon though it's clean and low km but it is 10 years old
I've fitted a catch can. My son got it for me. It's not a provent as it's got a stainless filter. I fitted it anyway as it's got the pressure release top and outlet side. Only been in a couple of weeks and already I see the oil drops condensing on the filter and running down to the tube. Outlet tube to the turbo has been wiped out and well see how it goes.
Regards

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » December 6th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Hi CBD
The Bosch car computer does not learn by itself. It relies on periodic calibration.
Once a year should be enough.
Have you tried a cold reset of the car computer?
Sometimes certain errors are not visible to normal Scantools, we call them hidden factory codes.
To clear those, you'll need to do a cold reset.
Remove both battery terminals from the battery & then link the disconnected battery leads & leave it overnight.
I don't mean to say short out the battery please. Shorting out the battery will cause explosion or fire.
Link the battery positive and the negative wires after you've disconnected them from the battery.
Most of the hidden factory codes will be cleared by this method.
There are some traces that will remain inside the computer such as those in EEPROM, but you should be okay.
I have fixed many strange problems this way.
Regards
Ozbush

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » December 6th, 2017, 7:43 pm

G'day young
Can't do that for a few days but I'll disconnect the positive and negative wires Off the battery and connect them together then leave for overnight. Correct?

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » December 11th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Yes that is correct.
We call it field master reset.
Try to see if it will fix the problem.

Return to “Diesel Tech”