Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Chamberlain
Been here a while

Re: Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Unread post by Chamberlain » June 24th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Hi Les, good to hear your update.
I'm heading to Darwin in a week and have been trying my hardest to get better economy. With the first mapper fitted, running around -7 the best I got was an easy run to the Gold Coast and back where I got 32mpg.
Remember that I don't have anywhere near as much load as you, so probably not immediately comparable.
However with the new mapper I ran it at -8 on a trip to Taroom and found it used more fuel than on 0. I just did a tank full on -5 and barely made 10lt per hundred which is around 28 mpg. I'm doing another tankful at present on 0 as I reckon it may be better again, but still not as good as previously. I guess I'll know more in the next few weeks!
Cheers, and thanks again for your updates. You are a good candidate for the testing with the trips you do.
Cheers, Rx

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » June 24th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Hi Les, good to hear your update.
I'm heading to Darwin in a week and have been trying my hardest to get better economy. With the first mapper fitted, running around -7 the best I got was an easy run to the Gold Coast and back where I got 32mpg.
Remember that I don't have anywhere near as much load as you, so probably not immediately comparable.
However with the new mapper I ran it at -8 on a trip to Taroom and found it used more fuel than on 0. I just did a tank full on -5 and barely made 10lt per hundred which is around 28 mpg. I'm doing another tankful at present on 0 as I reckon it may be better again, but still not as good as previously. I guess I'll know more in the next few weeks!
Cheers, and thanks again for your updates. You are a good candidate for the testing with the trips you do.
Cheers, Rx

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 24th, 2016, 5:35 pm

No worries Ch, his thread and PJ/K Ranger forum are my main focus here now, and only spasmodically.
I've got the Waeco CDX11 now from another source and sort of over my 4WD SuperCenta pi$$ poor service experience, but can't not post anything here I feel might help others I've come to like on here.

See the PK Ranger section about torsion bar mounts and your snorkel question.

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » June 28th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Hi Les and Everyone,
Thanks for your excellent report Les.
Yes the new mapper is far better than old one isn't it? You had early production version which I forgot to replace.
Yes I received your box full of goodies. Thanks.
I am heading to Simpson on 9th July with one of forum member together.
I was going alone for Madigan line but they insisted coming along so the Madigan and Geo centre visit is scrapped. Instead we are going to cross French line.
It is better going in two than one I suppose.
I am very very busy with development of new digital MAF sensor version of mapper which these days all the diesel engine uses digital.

I was also going for another forum but I decided not go there anymore due to one guy over there is extremely jealous about my experiences and knowledge and actively sabotaging everything I said. Insulting the intelligence of the people over there.
They all want me to fight over it but I decided avoid dirty scene. One of my old mate said once "I am avoiding the s**t because I don't want to trod on s**t".
I know 4wd action forum is sometimes very slow to access but hey I got oodles of good people here.
It was bad experience trying other forums. Every forum had his majesty and wants to kill anyone got some knowledge who could be threatening to their throne.

I am taking my new digital version of manual mapper to desert for testing.
I am driving my old trusty Mazda BT-50 but a friend who is coming along has Toyota Prado 150 which has digital MAF sensor.
It will be a fun.
One thing I have a bit of angst is that I have Bridgestone Dueler H/T (highway Terrain) tyres and taking to desert. Is anyone see that as a problem?
I don't want throw away the brand new tyres only done 5000km.
I will drive low pressure and slow speed.

Cheers.

Ozbush

Triplej
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Triplej » July 1st, 2016, 2:32 pm

Hi all,

While I'm new to this thread, I've read several others and so far this sounds like the place to be.
Can someone tell me how I go about getting my hands on one of the Manual Mappers and/or costs etc. Please?

Ken

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » July 1st, 2016, 6:18 pm

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » July 20th, 2016, 5:39 pm

Hi Triplej
Look at the website http://ozbushelectronics.com.au/

I am back from grueling Simpson desert crossing.
And also did Innamincka and Cameron corner.

The desert is blooming with white and yellow.
One swale after another covered with carpet of white then the yellow next.
It was worth everything I ever expected.
I took the whole Ozbush team of four and one lady was in tears because of the beauty of the desert flower blooming.

I failed first attempt of big red bash and made in second attempt but I found my park brake was on. What a thing to happen!!! :lol:

New manual mapper worked fine and I am very happy for it.

Cheers

HydRanger67
Here and there

Unread post by HydRanger67 » December 1st, 2016, 8:00 pm

Hi Oz,

How did you go testing the old EGR I sent you earlier this year?
I have been running the mapper in conjunction with a Uni filter
for over 5,500 km now and the economy (@ mapper setting 7.5)is much the same 11.29.
The previous test returned similar results with the OEM paper filter. Oils nice and clean and nothing gets past the filter; although it is a pain in the arse to clean.

Ian
Having a snorkel fitted ASAP.
My other cars a bike.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » December 5th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Ozbush1 wrote:I failed first attempt of big red bash and made in second attempt but I found my park brake was on. What a thing to happen!!! :lol:
Heya Young, been a while since that post, but thought I'd mention, sometimes that little bit of park brake can do wonders on steep hills !!
Makes the LSD engage better :)

My mapper is still going well, recent Big Desert Sate Forest weekend saw me do ADL - ADL 975km and topped off LRT 10 mins from home for 105lt . . . so for a little suburbs driving heading out and back through town, hwy driving at 110km/hr, and a good day and night drive of soft sand tracks, I got 10.76lt/100km !! No noticeable head or tail winds.

Can't complain about that, AND those nasty EGR particulates aren't going into my intake :) :) which is the real bonus.

Coming home from Brissy recntly via Melbourne, I had the most bitching head wind all the way 2 days heading west, that was a different story, was around 12.75lt / 100 then :/

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » September 23rd, 2017, 2:20 am

Hello,
This is Ozbush here.
I finally finished all the hard work and got sometime to come out.
My sincere apologies not coming out often enough.
But I promise to come out often to good friends here.
Anyone still here?
:lol:
Regards
Ozbush

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 23rd, 2017, 9:12 am

Hi Ozbush, good to see you posting again! There are still a few of the regulars looking in every now & then, so keep an eye out & you might see them reply eventually. And there's also moves afoot to get the Forum working properly again & accepting new members, so that might make it easier & we could see more posters as a result. :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » September 23rd, 2017, 2:35 pm

Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply.
I have a lot of stories to tell.
I haven't been here quite a while due to new model development.
I haven't been here for at least 9 months.
There were many forum members sent me email asking to have some summary of this thread which they find too long to read.
I have promised many months ago but I didn't and I feel very sorry to those forum members.
I will write a nice summary of this thread about fuel trimming and EGR delete.
Beside, I have learnt a lot about the modern diesel engines and its control softwares.
I will try to come out at least once every day.
I have kept my promise that I will make some devices to help 4wd community by developing the device that everyone can afford.
My business has started because I was inspired by this forum to help 4wd community. And I am still at it.
Coming back from retirement wasn't easy but with my daughter's help who found new skill of building electronic equipment which made everything possible.
Thank you guys.
Ozbush

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » September 23rd, 2017, 2:44 pm

Hi Oz,

How did you go testing the old EGR I sent you earlier this year?]
Hi Ian,
Your EGR valve was faulty because the brass valve seat was loose and jamming time to time.
Valve seat will be pulled up when the valve was lifted together and doesn't fall down flat, instead it will go crook and jams with the returning valve and kept open.
I will post a photo for that next time.
Sorry for late reply but late is better than never. :redface:
Ozbush

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » September 24th, 2017, 4:08 pm

EGRValve1.jpg
Hi Everyone,
Here is the two most common form of faulty EGR valves.
This faults exists throughout every brand and model.
1... 60% of the EGR valve fault is worn out plunger or shaft you can feel the step when you push down with hands. It is because EGR valve has been using on and off and lifting the same position for entire life of engine. Our Manual Mapper will demand to move a little further than normal position then it sticks momentarily causing fault code. In this case I have a patch to reduce the EGR signal so it will stay within normal lifting range.
2... 40% of the EGR valve fault is loose valve seat which you can hear clacking sound sometimes. Some of them are sticking with valve and travels together causing unpredictable gas flows. Some of them the valve seat is jammed crook and get pounded by valve and pushed in crook and permanently leaking the EGR gas but car computer doesn't know. In these two cases Mapper do not have any problems because you blocked EGR with full blanking plate and the EGR position sensor is not affected, but it is annoying sound you hear.

Most of cars have no problems with EGR valves even they are in the range of 250k of mileage. But if you have been driving in the city with start stop very often then it is guaranteed to have troublesome EGR valve problem.

I have come across Toyota Land cruiser V8 with funny clanking noises no one could find source of noise then I found both EGR valve seats were loose.
The V8 had two EGR valves.

I have attached few photos about those problems.

Cheers
Ozbush
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HydRanger67
Here and there

Unread post by HydRanger67 » October 20th, 2017, 11:18 am

Nice work Ozbush. As I said in my PM. After the Mapper, uni-filter & snorkel were fitted I now get 10 lt/100km. Hardly use any oil (may only blowby via crankcase vent) and it stays pretty clean. 180,000km on the motor and going strong.
My other cars a bike.

Return to “Diesel Tech”