Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » April 13th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Understand Ian, sometimes on the long hauls you are better on the limit and accept the extra lt or two per 100.

I wouldn't worry the K&N.
If you've got a snorkel fitted you will be getting heaps of air available through the rather large std filter . . . pretty sure the MAF controls air required anyway.
Have heard if you are a bit slack with the rather PITA job of cleaning and re-oiling the K&N, it might well be substandard to the factory filter anyway.

Josho123o2
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Josho123o2 » April 21st, 2016, 8:07 am

hi all. I installed my manual mapper yesterday and only went for a short drive, everything seemed to be fine but too early to tell. cleared CEL and it stayed away after a few stop starts. Although when shutting the engine off the engine shudders strangely (more rough than normal). I switched the mapper to bypass and the engine shut down smooth again. Tested this a few time and it seems the mapper is doing something strange upon switching off the engine...hmmm...has anyone else experienced this?
PK wildtrak. lift, exhaust, dick cepek 32", rock sliders, RIGID industries spots and light bar, RUNVA winch, lift off canopy etc etc etc

Josho123o2
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Josho123o2 » April 22nd, 2016, 1:23 pm

all sorted. phoned young and he advised to try mode 2. installed the mapper this way and everything seems fine. yet to do a decent trip so will post feedback once I have some km/100 info. currently with an alloy camper canopy on the back, 32 inch tyres, bull bar, roof rack etc etc I'm getting around 11.5 to 12.5 per 100 km. a bit more if the roof top tent is on.
PK wildtrak. lift, exhaust, dick cepek 32", rock sliders, RIGID industries spots and light bar, RUNVA winch, lift off canopy etc etc etc

fr2007
Here and there

Unread post by fr2007 » April 26th, 2016, 2:01 am

Ozbush, could the mapper be configured to allow the user to alter the setting of the rich lean diesel mixture when running below a nominated value of mass air flow (say 30%)? And then allow another 'user input' that would allow us to alter rich lean diesel mixture when it's running above 30% mass air flow?
That way we could tune for when we put the foot down and then economise and use less fuel in cruise or on light throttle applications - As well as knocking off the EGR valve

What do you think, is something like this feasible or possible?
Just thinking, it may result in better fuel economy down low.
Paul

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » April 27th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Hi Guys,
Sorry for absence I was quite busy for many things especially the new mapper development for PX Rangers and other digital type MAF sensor-ed vehicles.

Hi Fr2007 Paul,
Trimming down below or over + -15% will cause car computer to put up check engine light on.
It's a very good idea but I tested car computer's tolerance and if you go near trimming 20% then car computer will definitely thinks there is something wrong with MAF sensor and put up error code.
Many thinks can't see the benefit of fuel trimming because they can't feel the difference. But many sensitive users or with proper instrument such as Scanguage will notice the difference. I told them this mapper is not a turbo boost controller it is only for minute fuel trimming device.
I had quite a few users reported me that they can feel a lot easier to tow the caravan when they set it to +15%.
Regards
Ozbush

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » April 27th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Hi Les,
I sent you upgraded Manual Mapper to your mechanic Rich.
My daughter found out that we sent out 8 pre-production model manual mapper but 3 of them were not yet replaced with proper production model which has all the upgrades which Les and other guys tested for a long time.
I was quite busy and didn't realised it.
Let me know how you went on with new incabin mapper.
You will love it.

So far I had all sort of issues with guys who got our mapper and I fixed every one of them.
Mostly, it was faulty EGR system. I even ended up fixing fuel pump problems too for a gentleman who had strange problem. Not to mention injector problems I fixed quite a few too.
I now have a lot of experiences with these modern diesel engines especially EGR system problems.
I will put up in this forum for trouble shooting for EGR system associated problems.
Regards
Ozbush

fr2007
Here and there

Unread post by fr2007 » April 29th, 2016, 11:42 pm

Hi Ozbush,
I think I did not explain my question correctly.
Say for example , the range of the mass flow sensor is between 0 and 100 g/sec of air.
Can we configure your mapper to provide a lean condition for cruising say under 30 g/sec of air and a richer condition when it is between 30 and 100 g/sec of air.

that way we get economy in cruise mode and power when we put the foot down .

Just a question
Paul,

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » May 5th, 2016, 3:39 pm

Hmmmmmnnn...
So that Mapper will tune in for cruise setting say -10 normally for economy run then when you foot down then the setting will change to +15 for the duration of acceleration.
What a wonderful idea Paul. It will be just like turbo boost controller effect.
I will definitely put that idea forward.
Thanks for the thought.
I would like to send you a bottle of Champagne.
One more thing to add for new Mapper.
All these ideas helps.
I have benefited immensely from forum.
Regards
Ozbush

goldiexxxx
Been here a while

Unread post by goldiexxxx » May 5th, 2016, 9:32 pm

Now THATS an idea!
That would be the ultimate mapper; I could have some boost while driving in town, accelerating away from traffic lights, improving driveability. But then have the great fuel economy while in 5th gear and touring out where the cost of fuel is expensive. I would buy a second mapper to have those options.
Goldie

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » May 8th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Hi Gents,
It's about new mapper development.
I had a member who wanted a Manual Mapper for his PK Ranger but changed his mind and cancelled because he heard about new mapper will be out soon.

I would like to inform you that new version of mapper which under development will only be working with PX Ranger or whatever the current model has the DIGITAL MAF Sensors only.

Ford PJ, PK and Mazda BT-50 B3000 2006-2011 models will still only be supported by current Manual Mappers and the new version mappers which under development is NOT for these models.

I wanted make sure there is no confusion about that.
Many optional accessories suppose to come with new version mapper will also be offered as an independent unit to PJ, PK and BT-50 users after new mapper development is finished so it will be fair to the current model mapper users.

Therefore, the current manual mapper is only mappers will be offered to the members who own PJ, PK and BT-50 2006-2011.

Cheers
Ozbush

Maz5
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Maz5 » May 10th, 2016, 4:28 pm

sorry in advance if this has been covered before, I have been running a bluespark plug in chip for a couple of years and have had some good economy numbers whilst cruising, my question is will this device conflict with the bypass mapper or can I have the best of both worlds and run them both ?.
Greg

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » May 12th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Hi Maz5
Could you tell me a bit more about Bluespark?
I am not sure about it. As far as I know it is plugged in to the areas of injectors and fuel control circuit which doesn't effected by our Manual Mapper because we use MAF sensor at air cleaner box.
Thanks
Ozbush

Maz5
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Maz5 » May 13th, 2016, 4:40 pm

That is correct it attaches directly to the rail ,I just didn't want to fry my ecu , all completed with mapper, harness and provent to make it breathe better, will take it out for a run tomorrow ,mapper light works as it should ,decided to leave the water flow through the egr being blocked off shouldn't be a problem if it fails.
will have 2.5 tonnes hanging off the back in a couple of weeks see how it all goes.
Maz 5

Maz5
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Maz5 » June 10th, 2016, 10:40 am

Something strange has happened to my scanguage seems I am using 30 LP/100 when in fact I am using 14 to 15 LP/100 does the bypass running interference for the ecu tell little fibs to the scanguage to ,by the way this is towing a 2.5 tonne van.
Greg

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 24th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Just visiting the site to update experiences with the latest mapper fitted to the PK Ranger, just before last trip.
Was 4575km and included Googs Tk, Madigan Line (North Simpson), and from Birdsville Tk / Marree, had to go out via William Ck / Coober Pedy to get home.

I've checked and rechecked thee figures 4x so know they are correct.
My fuel use was 588lt, so avg per 100km was 12.85lt.

Now this is a surprise, even with cabin mapper version 1 my previous 2 desert crossings using that yielded about 14lt avg overall.
Prior to any mapper fitted, I might have been up around 15lt/100km on desert sand / dunes.
Madigan wasn't overly hard, in fact I found it slightly easier than much of French Line, but the point is this mapper seems to have worked much better for me with it's higher tolerances.

I did run from ADelaide with full 225lt fuel and about 80lt water, kept this topped up often as I got more remote, simply tanking up a little as prices steadily reached outback prices.
I ran from Finke to Marree (1375km of tracks and dunes), and still had more than enough to get to Lyndhurst and have about 30lt left, had that road been open.

I believe myself and 2 others that got their cabin version first had the lower thresholds, and now these have been exchanged some small problems have been resolved.
Young, I used mine on -15, +15, and never got a cel, mind you I never got any difference in economy or notable lag / power increase either, just leaving it set on 0 now, but that's a moot point, the economy is better again AND of course the main reason for having the mapper being the filthy EGR system rendered disfunctional.

Thanks Oz, trust the box of mappers sent before departure got back to you fine ?

Return to “Diesel Tech”