Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » February 20th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Run the egr harness mate :)
Or rejoin white . . . Personally I'd run the egr green as this activates the led colours showing when egr would have normally been operating.
Do you have the cabin mapper ?
This is great, shows me just how often the egr would be working when the led is amber.
Not green too often, even under light acceleration.

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » February 20th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Hi Graeme, off the top of my head if you are not running the green wire the white one should not be cut. Try reconnecting that first and see how it goes.
Touch wood I have had no warnings at all and have run both the initial version of the mapper and the one that you have. It should be good.
Maybe post the fault code and see if Ozbush recognises it?

Cheers
Rx

Graeme M
Here and there

Unread post by Graeme M » February 21st, 2016, 9:34 am

Thank you gents,

I've read Ozbush's site again and you are correct.
I've now run the EGR wire and will clear the error code later today.
White wire remains cut.
Thank you both very much.

Graeme

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » February 24th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Hi Guys,
Sorry for late attendance as I was busy doing field test.

Graeme, Please connect white wire link back.

There are two ways to use our manual mapper.
First way is to use without EGR harness regardless of blanking plate is installed or not. In this mode you must have white wire link not cut. So the computer thinks ambient temperature is under 10c and turn off the EGR system.

Second way of using manual mapper is white wire link cut and install EGR harness. In this mode you must have full blanking plate installed. In this mode computer is expecting EGR valve is fully working and mapper is getting EGR valve position sensor signal and telling the car computer EGR system is working by means of reducing the MAF signal which to match in different RPM range.

Therefore, If you don't have EGR harness then re-join the white wire link and to check, look for the intake air temperature on the scan gauge. It should be around 7-8c regardless of actual ambient temp.

Please call me if you still have problem there are some car don't work on first mode due to car computer software upgrade. In that case you have to have EGR harness but it's very rare.

Cheers
Ozbush

Graeme M
Here and there

Unread post by Graeme M » February 26th, 2016, 9:39 am

Hello Ozbush,

I have connected the green wire to the egr and left the white cut.
All is good now. Thank you.

I have the EGR blanked off, the water disconnected, Pro vent fitted and the world is happy again !!!

Thank you all.

Regards
Graeme

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » February 26th, 2016, 3:27 pm

It is indeed happy!
You will be amazed how much oil you catch, and the MAP sensor stays so much cleaner - as does inside the engine!
Great
Rx

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » February 26th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Hi Gents,
I have uploaded more articles into my website.
Please take a look at it if you need to know how to fit EGR blanking plate, or how to bypass crank case gas re-circulation.
I get many inquires about how to do them.
My website address is http://ozbushelectronics.com.au/page2.php

Cheers
Ozbush

cjbfisher
Here and there

Unread post by cjbfisher » March 5th, 2016, 9:21 am

Hi guys,
A quick question for those that are venting the crankcase straight to air. Do you end up with a small drip/puddle of oil under the ute when it is parked, or is everything vented as a gas and floats away with the breeze?
I am considering doing this but don't want to end up with a puddle of oil on the carport floor.

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » March 10th, 2016, 1:30 am

Hi
I use a small dump filter at the end of the pipe and never had any oil drops in my garage floor.
You will need a dump filter to stop any insects or small animals getting into the pipe.
Last year my rocker cover was leaking engine oil and it took me for a while to figure out what was causing the problematic oil leaks.
I found a lizard crawled into the pipe and died there and it blocked up the crank case vent with mud already in it.
After that happened, I bought a small dump filter from Ebay and fitted at the end of pipe.
It stops oil drips too, oil seems to piled up in the dump filter and dribble out only when you drive above 50km.
Another solution is to stop oil drip is to fit oil catch can then let the vent gas to air.
Remember, that old engines can give off up to 10% of its combustion gas per cylinder as the gas slip through the piston rings and end up in the crank case. That is a lot of gas which to interfere proper combustion if you feed that back into inlet.
You definitely get more power doing this.
Here is a photo of the dump filter which I use.
dumpfilter.jpg
You can buy this in Ebay very cheap just search for "crank case vent filter"

Cheers
Ozbush
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ozbush1 on March 10th, 2016, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » March 10th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Hi Gents,
I finally have more MAF sensors arrived from Japan.
Please go to my website for more information.
http://ozbushelectronics.com.au/page8.php
Many people say the new MAF sensor is way better than stock standard but some say they can't feel any difference.
If your original MAF sensor is more than 5 years old then there is a good chance a new MAF sensor will definitely improve the engine performance.
It is also good idea to keep one in your glove box as spare part.
Cheers
Ozbush

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » March 10th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Email sent Oz
Cheers
Rx

cjbfisher
Here and there

Unread post by cjbfisher » March 10th, 2016, 5:18 pm

Ozbush1 wrote:Hi
I use a small dump filter at the end of the pipe and never had any oil drops in my garage floor.......
Thanks OB. I'll go look for one.

HydRanger67
Here and there

Unread post by HydRanger67 » April 12th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Just an update to my progress towards better fuel economy and engine longevity.
I had the manifold cleaned by a mate of mine. I've fitted a mapper and have done about 3000km so far. No improvement yet in fuel economy at both -5&-7. I will try the +5 &+7 next. I do a lot of 600km drives at a fairly constant 110-115kph speed between Bunbury and SX, so I have heaps of tank to tank data. I normally achieve 510km to fuel light on and refill with 58lt on average. The ute does have additional weight, roo bar, skid pan, and tow bar. These things obviously will have an effect on loading the engine up over and above the std fuel economy spec's :rolleyes: which we all know are suss. May buy a pro vent or just whack on a direct to air filter for the crankcase.

http://i.imgur.com/aK2WLsp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GFzH5hR.jpg
My other cars a bike.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » April 13th, 2016, 5:41 am

Manifold clean came up nicely mate :)
How many ks did you have on it when cleaned ?

I've had catch can on since 50k or so, my check with a screwdriver dip in the MAP sensor hole indicated no build up in there, so haven't worried about a clean there as yet.

Will be interesting to see if you find any difference with the + settings.
I find little difference, but a very decent 1 - 2 lt per 100km improvement with the mapper on in general.
The main reasons I have it fitted along with blanking plate is the cleaner running, and at next service finally block out the terrible EGR cooler before it fails me somewhere remote.

The + settings I feel are possibly better if you drive the same as normal, if I use - area I just seem to have to put the foot down more !!
For me normal is trying to smooth out acceleration in city driving, 'light right' :)
Country driving is always good if I am sitting on a slightly lower speed, say 100 max, but 95 is better for sure, at least 0.5lt/100 better.
My hwy econ is now consistently 10 to 10.3 or so lt / 100.

It makes virtually no difference to my econ if I am loaded up for a desert trip or unladen, nor does track work seem to make much difference, maybe an extra few lt / 100 in the sand, Simmo or SE beaches, which is very reasonable.

HydRanger67
Here and there

Unread post by HydRanger67 » April 13th, 2016, 9:08 am

Thanks Les-PK Ranger. Yes, I reckon optimum fuel economy is around 100kph.
Too slow for my early morning DIDO commute; it would add another 30min plus to the trip :o .
As expected, the oil is much cleaner 3000km into oil and filter change. It used to tun black after the 1200km trip to work. So this is a huge win.
May try fitting a better flowing air filter which can be cleaned, like a K&N as there a gravel road to our block further South.

Cheers
Ian
My other cars a bike.

Return to “Diesel Tech”