Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Ozbush1
Been here a while

Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Unread post by Ozbush1 » June 25th, 2015, 12:31 am

I have been recommended to open my own thread for all the diesel engine owners.
I have managed create and developed a little project I called "Manual Mapper for Diesel engine Fuel Delivery Controls"
At the moment it has been successfully tested on Ford PJ/PK Rangers and Mazda BT-50s so far. Because simply I have Mazda BT-50 (2011 model / like PK Ranger).
However, many 4wd enthusiasts on this forum suggested that I should introduce to other diesel engine owners not just for Ford/Mazda model specific. Because we recon we can discuss and find the way to adapt this Manual Mapper to many different models of diesel vehicles.
We all love our diesel engine cars. Are we not? I fall in love with diesel engine for so many years. I will never go back to petrol engines for my 4wd. So why not try to save our loving diesel engines? And give the best what we can offer.

Any car or truck that has diesel engine with computer controlling its injectors by using air or boost pressure sensors can use this Manual Mapper.

Isn't this about time we can do this? Why are we all locked up in generalised one global setting for the car?
Many of car computers (ECU or PCM whatever they called) control software are just designed for global setting and not specific to climate of Australian conditions.
20150621_130111.jpg

MM plus EGR.jpg

What this Manual Mapper does ;

1... You can manually control fuel delivery of diesel engine by simply turning the knob in the little box.
You can adjust down to -15% leaner or up to +15% richer. Since diesel engine loves to be leaner you can achieve incredible 5.8L/100km using this box in my Mazda 3.0 litre engine so far.
You can also make it richer for heavy load or towing up to 15% (don't make it too rich it maybe produce a bit of black smoke?).
My favorite is -8% setting for lean burning for economy run including city and highway.
Loger eco.jpg
Loger rich.jpg
2... You can deactivate EGR system without Check Engine Light or Malfunction Indicator Light by using this box.
(Please Note: Deactivating EGR system is illegal. I can only recommend this mode for off road or racing only but Manual Mapper has bypass switch to re-activate EGR system when you are in public road).

Do you know why modern diesel engines are short lived? In old none EGR system diesel engine lasted typically half million km before major re-work. But modern diesel engines with EGR system wears out very quickly due to carbon contamination through EGR system. Carbon particle is very harsh material (diamond is carbon too) all the valves and piston walls develops microscopic scratches in time all end up losing compression and you are lucky to get good running over 200,000 km.

3... You can find your own sweet spot for your car. We are finding every car has its own character even for the same make and model. The sweet spot we are finding are different to each person.

Please visit to my old posts in this forum on ford/mazda model specific here if you wanted know about how it all began.
Original post was

Is blocking the EGR a worthwhile mod? How to do it?
viewforum.php?f=118

What I like to discuss is adapting my manual mapper to your car if you are interested saving your diesel fuel and engine life.
All you and I need to know is what MAF sensor is in your car.

Please drop a letter to my email if anyone interested to my ideas above.

My email address is ozbush@hotmail.com

The reason I use this email address is to prevent flooding 4wd action PM. It happened once before and don't want repeat it again.

Cheers

Ozbush
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ozbush1 on September 2nd, 2015, 3:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Re: Manual Mapper Project for Diesel engines

Unread post by Chamberlain » June 25th, 2015, 5:22 am

Yee hah!
Go O B, good to see the page now dedicated to this. Can't wait to try it on my BT50

Cheers
Ch

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » June 25th, 2015, 8:45 am

Second chamberlains comments Ozbush1..

Looks like the goods. Just waiting on delivery.

Cheers
Rob

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » June 25th, 2015, 1:37 pm

I would like to see everyone how they are installed the mapper.
Get some pictures and show us. I don't think it is good the way I mounted the unit I was using double sticky tape which is terrible.

Cheers

troyrotor1
Here and there

Unread post by troyrotor1 » June 26th, 2015, 6:33 am

I have one on the way too, Im very excited to get rid of my CEL.
Im also looking forward to trying the fuel setting as my fuel economy is shocking at the moment 12-13L/100k

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » June 26th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Hi Everyone,
I would like to point out few things about this project that I am sharing with you guys.
The Manual Mapper project is purely only for hobby and not based on any commercial ideas.

While I cannot discount that it could be commercialized in the future due to a very favorable success.

However, at the moment, it is only I am having fun with you guys because I was very bored out of my retirement.
Do I go for full commercial production? That is depends on how much fun do I get :) . But for now it is only for fun sharing with you guys who also wants to have some fun (to save our loving diesel engine).

Therefore, I would like you guys to be careful about the comment you are making here in this forum to make sure that we are not here for business. You know the rules. If you really interested in this project and wants to try one then send me a PM.

Whole thing started by my brand new EGR cooler blew up only in 2000 km damaged my engine then I was fired up and trying to do something about it. Let me make myself very clear about my car. I love my BT-50 and HiLux. I have no qualm about the brand because my motor mechanic friend told me it is quite common to see them blowing up in every brand including German cars. It is the way they designed the system is the problem. It seems they don't care about how long the engine would last just make them buy another car in few years in CAPTURED MARKET :( . Wouldn't you think it will make more pollution? It is not even the EGR design, it is the attitude of giant corporation of consumerism is the problem which causes more pollution in the long run. (I'd better shut up here :) )

So let's have some fun guys...
Hobby or bush style doesn't mean it can't be reliable. The unit I designed is very reliable and I fitted with every possible contingency in the case of failure of this and that.

I have included the schematic diagram of the manual mapper unit in the picture. So you know what's going on so that you can wire it up.
Manual Mapper MAF1 Module.jpg
Just One Caution guys!!!
Whatever you do you make sure don't fool with +12V wires. What I mean is while you can play around your car but make sure don't mix up the +12V connection with sensor wires (MAF or IAT). If you feed 12V into sensing circuit which is mainly 5V system, you can blow the car computer or ECU and this will cost you a lot of money to replace :crazy: . I had a friend who love to do a lot of gadgets installation for his car and one day he blew up ECU. I had to fix his ECU in the name of friendship with death threat, gun pointing in my head (despite I told him not to fool around with ECU with so many stuff).
That doesn't mean I am discouraging you at all. It just be careful about the connection. Don't connect if you are not sure, such as after few beers, pot or after with your Mrs?. Do it in clear mind ( Do some meditation before the job :) )

In the beginning, I thought Ah it's simple I will just use an OP AMP. It's piece of cake. But I ended up with a working but very unstable system. It caused all kind of problem that was too critical and fragile especially under the heat. Then I just applied OP AMP emulating micro-controller chip which AVR ATtiny series directly with 4 nights of programming.

It has been tested under all kind of environment and conditions and finally it was reliable.
It even worked flawlessly and started car in 70C under the bonnet. So the guys in NT or Northern QLD shouldn't have problem I think (Need to be tested in real enviro please).
I have been testing in the car and drove over 400 km and it works. It is not how good the design is the most important thing is how you apply the package.

I will talk more about how it works and how to wire the unit next time, I need a beer and some rest.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ozbush1 on June 29th, 2015, 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

troyrotor1
Here and there

Unread post by troyrotor1 » June 26th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Just received my mapper in the mail today. I will be installing tomorrow morning.

Just thought I would add an easy to understand wiring guide for anyone installing their mapper.
This should make wiring simple for anyone, NOTE the GND (Blue wires) are common and you may use either blue wire.

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » June 26th, 2015, 5:53 pm

You are a genius Troyrotor1.
Thank you very much. You made my day.
Thank you again.
Regards

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 26th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Have had mine a few days, install tomorrow, with my mech here just to be sure.

So Oz, with the unit switched on (the green led will light up ?) it simply turns off the EGR system, no codes.
If dial is switched to 0 if should be about normal running setting (fuel ?), but dial up or down the unit will also deliver more or less fuel respectively ??

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » June 26th, 2015, 7:07 pm

Hi Les,
The switch bypasses the mapper unit completely out and turn off the green LED light.
The mapper is in operation when the green light is on. The green light should be coming on slowly about 1 second then its fully on. It is performing the diagnostic then turns the light fully on (yes no code).
If light is coming on straight or blinking or no light means diagnostic failure or faulty unit.
I recommend you to set at -5% as normal (in my opinion).
Yes dial will change the delivery of diesel fuel.
Lean running never do any harm in diesel engine but petrol engine does.
When the diesel engine is in idle is the most lean running.
Cheers

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 26th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Ok, all good, will call tomorrow if any questions during install.
Cheers,
Les

ChandlerProjects
Getting to know the place

Unread post by ChandlerProjects » June 26th, 2015, 8:05 pm

This is great guys. I will post pictures when I have installed mine.

Thanks to Ozbush for making it happen.

Riley

Ozbush1
Been here a while

Unread post by Ozbush1 » June 27th, 2015, 1:13 am

The Manual Mapper Wiring Instruction.

The mapper has two sides of cables coming out, one is short bundle (going to ECU) and other is long bundle with black conduit (connecting to MAF sensor).

1... Disconnect negative battery terminal to prevent any mishaps.

2... You must unplug the MAF connector at air box carefully by pressing the tab hard then pull the connector.
Do not pull by the cables.
PushingTab1.jpg
Only grab plastic section of connector with pressing tab hard (on top of connector). Move the connector housing side to side while you are pressing the tab and pulling the plastic connector housing at the same time. It can be a bit stiff but it will come off.

3... Cut the 5 wires from connector then crimp the male terminals (see the photo).
Connectorwired1.jpg

4... Also crimp the female terminals on ECU side of wires.

5... Now connect the 5 terminals each other then reconnect the battery and start car engine make sure all is well.
Original1.jpg
If all is ok then you now have introduced the connector system to connect Manual Mapper. And also you can take out the Mapper and reconnect everything back to where it was if something goes wrong.

If CEL (Check Engine Light) comes on then you have bad connections somewhere in the terminals that you just made, check it out. Error codes P0112 or P0113 means bad connections, you can reset error codes by disconnecting battery for 10 minutes if you don't have OBDII tools (Scantools).

6... Disconnect the negative battery terminal again.

7... Now you can connect the Manual Mapper.
Long cable from mapper is going to MAF sensor.
Short cable from mapper is going to ECU.
Mapper view.jpg
You will find the gender will match up when you connect. Make sure connecting terminal is not loose.

Please follow the wire colour of original wires (not the mapper wires).

MAF sensor Pin number and colours of wire.

1... 12V Power line, Original wire colour: Blue on Black, connects to Mapper wire colour: Red

2... MAF sensor Ground, Original wire colour: Yellow on Purple, connects to Mapper wire colour: Blue

3... MAF Signal out, Original wire colour: White on Brown, connects to Mapper wire colour: Yellow

4... IAT signal out, Original wire colour: Gray, connects to Mapper wire colour: Green

5... IAT Ground, Original wire colour: Orange on Black, connects to Mapper wire colour: Blue

Whatever you do, don't make mistake on no 1 pin which is 12V (Blue on Black wire), it goes to Red wire in Mapper.

8... Finally, set the mapper setting to -5% with switch Mapper ON position and reconnect the battery then fire up engine.
Green light in the mapper will start to glow green slowly as mapper computer is performing self diagnostic.

If green light comes on instantly, blinking or not glowing then you have Mapper self diagnostic failure or dead mapper. Throwing switch to bypass will get you home.

You can change the switch on the Mapper ON or BYPASS anytime while engine is running but wait few seconds before turning the mapper on again.
You will find micro controller in the mapper will go through self diagnostic every time mapper is turned on. So give unit a little time to settle. However, mapper will still function while it is doing self diagnostic.
Response time for MAF is almost instant (10 ms) and IAT response time is about 10 seconds when you turn on the mapper.

Adjustable fuel delivery is the key to this Mapper that everyone likes. You can make as lean as -15%, in this setting engine still runs well but you will find car doesn't go well and probably it will give you better than 5L/100km or 50MPG. If you set to +15% you will find some black smoke coming out of exhaust, I recommend only use for heavy towing by setting at +3-5%.
My recommended setting is on -5% for the best results.

On the other hand, I had a gentleman with Ford Ranger PK with heavy fuel usage for unknown reason from new. Ford dealer practically gave up finding the causes and blamed on his driving habit. He was using diesel 12-13L/100km on empty payload.
However, whatever the reason was, the manual mapper fixed the problem by setting -10%. It returned 7-9L/100km and he is now a very happy man.

I had a friend of friend who got only inner module of our mapper and he built his own system by having entire control setting in his dash board so he can switch mapper on or off and also he can tune the car while he was driving :huh: . I am not sure I will go that far but he swears by that is the only way. He was enjoying fuel setting according to his payload without opening the bonnet every time.

The Mapper will maintain intake air temperature data around 7-9.5C sending to ECU so that EGR system is deactivated.
Micro controller will auto track the ambient or intake air temperature conjunction with automatically compensating the fuel delivery. You must re-activate EGR system by switching off the mapper when you get back on public road.

Notice: Please understand that the Manual Mapper is only an experimental hobby activity at this stage. I want you to know that I or 4wd action cannot take any responsibility for your mishaps such as damage to property or break up of relationship in full or partial caused by the Manual Mapper project. Keep your eyes on the road. Don't look into your Smart phone display too often for engine performance and etc while you are driving. Please take every caution involving our project.

Please send me email or PM if you have any questions.

I was once working on my BT-50 engine bay that I had to work on EGR pipe which right at the deep inside of rear section of the engine, so I laid big folded blanket on top of engine and climbed up and doing the work lie face down then my wife saw me in prone position on top of engine shout at me "I can understand you like diesel car but having sex with diesel engine is gone too far, you need to see a psychiatrist :lol: "

Let's enjoy life

OzBush
Last edited by Ozbush1 on June 27th, 2015, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 27th, 2015, 12:45 pm

After fitting module this morning, there may be some stuff to work through yet.
Will email various info through shortly Oz, and hopefully we can get this sorted.

The EGR seems to be off, but at this stage various codes are coming up from the outset.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 27th, 2015, 12:52 pm

How'd you go with your install troyrotor1 ???

Return to “Diesel Tech”