Any Difference between Castrol GTX diesel and RX super?

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Robdeo
Avid Poster

Re: Any Difference between Castrol GTX diesel and RX super?

Unread post by Robdeo » December 13th, 2013, 9:04 am

If for no other reason, there are 2 really good ones why there are multiple oils priced similar and with similar specs from the same brand.

1) Money. Don't get mad, this is how business works. They have a product, they want to sell it for more so they 'value add'. This only works if they can add something for less cost then the extra they charge you for it or pick up new customers as a result. Which brings us to no. two:
2) Trust. Otherwise known as the 'ive always used that one' factor. The above is why businesses exist, this reason is why BRANDS exist. You can't always just replace a whole brand wothout losing it's customer base. At the minimum you would lead them to re-assess what they are buying and that opens what used to be a loyal customer (which is many more $$ for the business than getting new ones) into a swinging one who is looking at your competitors again. Modern requirements may be different to the old ones but the old ones still exist too.

Think of panadol. They brought out a new one which is faster to act. Why would anyone buy the slow one anymore? Does anyone ever think, 'I have a headache, but I don't need to do anything for 20, 30 minutes'. The answer is no. However both are sold and the original sells truck loads. Both the above reasons come into play here, but with something like medication the big deal here is trust in the existing product being safe. If they'd gone all 'new coke' on us than they'd have lost a lot of business, even if the new one happened to be exactly the same in every way.

Bala
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bala » December 19th, 2013, 6:18 am

When I purchased the 2006 D22 ZD30 I started running GTX then realised it may not be right so rang castrol tech. Spoke with him for about 20 minutes, and I have used there tech line for a lot of years.
He said they had worked with Nissan to develop the 10/40 magnatec. With all the trouble the ZD30s have had I went with it and still use it, not game to change, not many 10/40 oils avail. Its not to bad price if you buy it on special, Ute has done 150k, no oil use etc.

I have been using RXsuper in my ute, 1HZ and tractor backhoe etc. Juts bought a 20 of Delo 400 for $96 at the depot in Bendigo as the ute is here and needs a change before heading back to FNQ after xmas. Sakura filter from CV bearings for under $20, Z334 is 31.88 at SC

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » December 19th, 2013, 9:20 pm

I've rung the castrol teck line a few times....not that I am a castrol lover.....but if you find one of those guys in a talkative mood....Its worth staying on the line as long as he wants to keep talking.....you may learn a great deal.

cheers

Bala
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bala » December 20th, 2013, 6:37 am

I started using the castrol tech line over 20 years ago and is has never really been short call.

When I spoke to them about the nissan and landcrusier oil it would easy have been a 20 minute plus call.

Return to “Diesel Tech”