Any Difference between Castrol GTX diesel and RX super?

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
fullbost
Been here a while

Any Difference between Castrol GTX diesel and RX super?

Unread post by fullbost » December 5th, 2013, 7:57 pm

hey,
Iv got a 2013 Dmax in the manaul its states to use Castrol RX super. On castrols lube guide it also states its ok to use GTX diesel Which is about $30 per 20l cheaper. Whats the difference between the 2oils?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Any Difference between Castrol GTX diesel and RX super?

Unread post by mydmax » December 5th, 2013, 8:50 pm

fullbost
What is the price of the Castrol RX Super 20L? if GTX is $30 cheaper it all depends if price is important.
Other brands may also be as dear/cheap. Generally Caltex Delo is under $100 for 20L and Mobil Delvac MX in 20L purchased wisely will be under $100 for the 20L.

Unless on special most oils are not cheap at Supercheap.

wombats80
Avid Poster

Unread post by wombats80 » December 5th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Pillaged from the inet, a bloke in Airlie Beach;

" Castrol's RX Super 15w-40 and GTX Diesel 15w-40 have been sold alongside one another into different applications here for a long time

RX Super is a "Commercial" HDEO with a formidable reputation in this country. I have been a user for some millions of kms and it has universal acceptance here based on results in NA engines - namely Cummins, Cat and Detroit Diesel

GTX Diesel is targeted towards non Commercial diesel engine applications such as 4WDs and light trucks. Castrol recommend it for many petrol engine applications too

What Castrol's "masters" - BP - do with their products into the future is a real guess .. "

;-)

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » December 6th, 2013, 8:01 am

Interesting - anyone know more about how Castrol Magnatec falls within these?

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » December 6th, 2013, 8:54 am

Yeah, the GTX & RX are commercial applications, Magnatec is a marketing snowjob for the weekend warrior mechanic :lol: :lol:

Its also probably more profitable per litre by a long shot as a result

( Sorry, Just me being cynical of all things marketing :thumb: )
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 6th, 2013, 4:04 pm

In the past, Castrol has resorted to mind bending, by using a cricketer who obviously would know all about oils AND SPIN to try and sell Magnatec.
SO, OBVIOUSLY, it is extremely good and you should buy it because they tell you to! Go on get a bottle! It will be on the shelf just past the smoke and mirror section.
If it has to be advertised it isn't selling itself by word of mouth. Draw your own conclusions.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » December 6th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Ah, a skeptic, not a cynic :lol: :lol:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » December 10th, 2013, 8:36 am

I cant remember the details.....but just for chuckles.
down load the spec seets for all 3..and the top 3 diesel spec oils Rimula, Devlac and Dello.

Look for the the different oil spec codes that all comply with.

ALL oil companies...and I mean ALL.....sell fancy retail branded oils, with copious amounts of advertsing spin for a great deal more than their well proven and industry respected commercially targeted diesel spec oil.
The people running big fleets of big trucks will not cop any BS...and they wont tolerate being ripped either....they buy this stuff by the 44 and the engines they run cost more than your whole car to rebuild.

As I have said many times before...you cant go wring with either of the three top diesel spec oils.....Rimula, Devlac or Dello ( in no particular order)....RX Super is not quite as good as the top3....maybee one short step behind...but RX super is no slouch of an oil.

If you are looking at saving cost......you must buy by the 20 litre and buy where the truckies buy.

If ya paying more than $100 for a 20 litre drum for any of the above 4 you are not shopping well......My last drum of Dello 400 cost me $85.

While you are at it, buy ya filters where the truckies do....look for brands like Fleet guard, Sakura or Donaldson......you will pay less for a better filter.

Check it out.....prove me right....and tell everybody you know....save ya mate some money.....I do.

Discovering diesel spec oils and a Truck shop filters, was one of my major mechanical epifinaies.

cheers

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » December 10th, 2013, 10:52 am

Back to the original question - difference between GTX Diesel and RX Super.

The GTX "brand" is very much a legacy name and hasn't been developed any further for decades now. I'm pretty sure you'll find that GTX Diesel is only API grade CD. Which is a grade from long before any form of emissions controls and higher performance turbos and electronic injection controls. It's an old school oil. Pretty much ANY oil that is promoted as being suitable for both petrol and diesel engines will only be CD grade. None of them are modern diesel grades.

Whereas RX Super has been developed to keep up with each new grade of oil to keep up with the technologies mentioned above. The current RX Super is CI-4 Plus, and there is an even newer RX Super Plus which is grade CJ-4.

If your vehicle has a diesel particulate filter (DPF) in the exhaust system, you'll need a CJ grade. It's lubrication qualities are the same, it just doesn't contaminate the DPF as much. If you don't have a DPF you don't need to use a CJ grade.

I note that Castrol has also got a newer range called Vecton. A range that supercedes a few varieties above the RX Super. Note they've kept the RX Super name because it's so well regarded in the industry.

All the modern turbo-diesel engines from the last..... decade, require a modern oil designed to cope with the extra stresses these engines put on the oil. Any of the big 4 as mentioned by whizzo should be fine and you can be confident in.

But most importantly, check your vehicles handbook to find out just which grade of oil it needs. Where possible use the recommended grade, not the "alternative lower grade". Some manufacturers, like VW, are very specific. They use full synthetic grades used for many high performance models. It seems they are developing engines to all use the same very high quality (and expensive) grade of oil. Simplifies things at the dealer servicing, but more difficult (and still expensive) for the rest of us. Can a normal good quality diesel oil be safely used? A good question I don't know the answer to.....
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » December 10th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Aaron Schubert wrote:Interesting - anyone know more about how Castrol Magnatec falls within these?

Aaron
The Magnatec brand covers the regular car engine oil range, really petrol engines only.

However, there is a Magnetec Professional range that has quite a number of "specialty" high performance oils. It's within this range you'll find the correct ones for VW's and the like. Most if not all are full synthetics.

They don't seem to make it easy to find this out, but it is there.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » December 11th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Just for $@!#$ & giggles..here are some comparisons.

All in the 15w40 version.

GTX DIESEL
API...DIESEL CH4...API PETROL SJ
NO ACEA RATING
NO JASO RATING

MAGNATEC DIESEL

API....DIESEL CF..PETROL SN
ACEA....DIESEL B4...PETROL A3
NO JASO RATING

RX SUPER
API...DIESEL CI4 PLUS.....PETROL SL
ACEA E7
JASO DH1....AFTER RECENT UPGRADE.

CALTEX DELLO 400
API....DIESEL CI4 PLUS....PETROL SL
ACEA E7-08
JASO DH1
pluss a sting of manufacturer specific approvals.

as you may see the other Castrol products are not as good as RX Super......interesting...RX Super is not mentioned on the consumer web site that recommends GTX and Magnatec.

In fact the maganetc seems to be a better petrol oil than it is a diesel oil.
The RX super spanks GTX in evry respect.

cheers

75workhorse
Been here a while

Unread post by 75workhorse » December 11th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Castrol RX has been around for years
never called super or gtx
just Castrol RX diesel 15 w 40 the only truck oil
yet to be proved different
If it is called common sense
then why is it so uncommon

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » December 11th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Oh and just to reinforce what I said earlier about the marketing of the fancy retail oils at a higher price than the better commercial oil.

From the supercheap web site

magnatec diesel 15w40..... 5 litre..$43.88....10 litre..$79.95

GTX diesel 15w40.....5 litre...$35.75...10 litre....$73.95....20 litre...$127

Rx super 15w40...5 litre...$39.95...20 litre...$119.

Now ya should be able to get RX super all day at a truck spares shop for $100.

The other question one would ask, is why would you market 3 different oils that are so close in price anyway....appart from giving choice for choice sake.

As I said...I paid $85 for my last 20 litre of dello 400.

If ya looking for a bargin in smaller packages and only in supercheap.

check the price of Rimular R3 X......$36.49for a 5 litre, ....59.95 for a 10 litre...and $125 for a 20litre

You will note that there are several other brands on the page....the prices may look attractive.....but check the specs.

I know a few people are using Gulf western top dog....Hmm yeh at $100....may look attactive to some......but it aint a DH1 oil and would be on a par with GTX.

I'll stick with my dello 400 from the Caltex depot where the truckies buy.

cheers

Note that Castrol and Valvoline are both owned by BP.....they seem to be using valvoline as their economy brand these days.

75workhorse
Been here a while

Unread post by 75workhorse » December 11th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Yes whiso if they have the same spes [which they do]
WHY do we chase brands when the same oil is marketed under a different brand
If it is called common sense
then why is it so uncommon

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » December 12th, 2013, 8:48 pm

I would not say the same oil is marketed under different brands....that is a bit of a stretch.

cheers

Return to “Diesel Tech”