Oil change time - does the DMax have a DPF?

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Oil change time - does the DMax have a DPF?

Unread post by mydmax » July 26th, 2013, 3:42 pm

evaredy
Do you have proof they actually changed the diff x2 oils?

If they have, yours is the first one I have seen or heard of which has had it done at 10,000km.
It is possible, it's just I haven't seen any which have been done at those km's. Often none changed at more than double those K's.
Perhaps an unusual dealer.

It's puzzling the first and subsequent changes on a 2011 is at 10,000km and now it is suddenly 20,000km. Must be an economic reason for someones benefit.

Is the filter bigger in internal area? is the oil far better than what goes into a 2011 model. Same engine except for a few small items.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » July 26th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Personally i prefer to do these jobs myself, so i know its fully drained and that quality oils have been put in.
Im going to keep the service book stamped up to date for the dmax this time. My falcodore has zero service history :( but its been well looked after, my mechanic mate says too well looked after. I really must borrow the stamp...
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 06 BF XR6T, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX LS-M 4X4

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » July 26th, 2013, 6:51 pm

mimmo_gsr wrote:
That is correct. The 10k service requires only the Gearbox/Rear Diff/Front Diff/Transfer oils to be replaced. The first engine oil change according to the handbook takes place at 20k with oil and fuel filter replacement.

Mine had the engine oil and filter done at 10k as an extra for my piece of mind.

Mimmo
Im 99% sure the handbook says 10k for first motor oil and filter change, then 20k after that.

Im doing 20k or just under per year so 6 monthly changes will be fine with synthetic
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » July 27th, 2013, 1:37 pm

mydmax

I didn't have a dealer do the service, I have had enough of their crap.

I had a 4x4 company do the service, they were recommended by our 4x4 instructor and also had very good reviews from others who have used them.

When I rang to book the car in and I mentioned it was a Dmax for it's 10,000 the manager wanted to talk to me. he told me that according to the book I had to have the extra oil change done, he went on to tell me that it was very strange that it had to be done so early, but as he said, it's part of the service so it has to be done.

When I picked the car up he reckons that the oil was a bit on the dirty side and reckons that it was a good idea to change it after all.

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » August 3rd, 2013, 3:42 pm

Back to the original question.

If you vehicle is common rail, it will have a Diesel Particulate Filter.

The issue with the oils and Diesel Particulate Filters, is that some earlier generation oils are not suitable because they chemicals that when burnt contaminate the DPF....all engines burn some oil every stroke of every piston.....potasium I believe may be one of the culprets.

What you are looking for is a JASO DH2 rated oil.

There is no problem whatsoever running a DPF compatable oil in a non DPF vehicle...if it is a DPF compatable oil it will be above spec for any non DPF vehicle.

As for this long interval between changes.
The oil is capable of maintaining its properties for well over the 20 000 KM as long as it is not contaminated...which we agree that it probably will be.

the philosophy is multi fold.
This long drain interval allows the manufacturer to claim a "lower cost of ownership", over the "normal life of the vehicle", which is a selling point.
AND
because less oil is used in servicing it allows the manufacturer to claim that the vehicle has a "lower environmental impact"..."over the normal life of the vehicle"

AND
it also pushes the expensive services further out and probably neatly places then in the first service after the fixed price or free services expire.

YES
as has been mentioned this is not good for the vehicle in the long term.....BUT..betya "the normal life of the vehicle" is not 20 or 30 years or 400 000Km.

OH yess they are shifty buggers all of em.

cheers

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » August 3rd, 2013, 8:47 pm

whizzo wrote: If you vehicle is common rail, it will have a Diesel Particulate Filter.

What you are looking for is a JASO DH2 rated oil.

There is no problem whatsoever running a DPF compatable oil in a non DPF vehicle...if it is a DPF compatable oil it will be above spec for any non DPF vehicle.

cheers
Wrong. New dmax no dpf, mazda 6 diesel no dpf. Both common rail

Cj4 oil has less anti wear properties which makes it kinder to the life expetency of the dpf.

Using a ci4+ oil is best for a non dpf motor

Jer2000
Been here a while

Unread post by Jer2000 » August 3rd, 2013, 8:48 pm

whizzo wrote:Back to the original question.

If you vehicle is common rail, it will have a Diesel Particulate Filter.
Wrong.

The Australian spec Isuzu D-Max with 4JJ1-TC High Power common rail engine does not have a Diesel Particulate Filter.

Als008
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Als008 » December 6th, 2013, 9:50 pm

I'll be doing my own oil change at 3000 no doubts. Then also at 10k.

No way would I let it do 20k without fresh oil.
'97 NK Pajero GLX 2800 TD, 5speed.
Mods: TBA

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » December 7th, 2013, 2:42 pm

OH thank you very much for you very generous and helpfull responses gentlemen.....I stand corrected...there may indeed be some common rail vehicles without diesel particulate filters........but my understanding is that most common rail diesels have them and almost without exception mechanically injected diesels in 4wds that we would encounter, do not.

As for the CJ4 oils having less anti wear properties than CI4+......where do you get that from.....show me a reference.

If you look at caltex DELLO 400 LE....it is a JASO DH2 compliant oil.....it is also both CJ4 and CI4 plus compliant....along with a slab of other approvals.......this you will find is the same story with all the competing oils.

Any statment like the CI4 plus is better than CJ4...for any reason in any application is a pretty wide and unreliable statement.

It is well known that the american oil clasification and specification system....that the CI & CJ come from is inadequate and insufficiently specific and too badly lags the technology in the market, for the liking of many.....this is why the JASO, ACEA and other oil specification systems where established.

In almost all cases of motors we deal with the JASO specification is the trump card...because most of the motors we see in this country are Japanese derived and the JASO specifications where specifically written for those motors.

The JASO DH1 spec was written ( and from time to time upgraded) for the previous generation of mechanically injected diesels, the JASO DH2 spec was specifically written for the current generation of common rail diesel motors......with or without DPF.

If you can find documented proof that a JASO DH2 rated oil, like for like is inferiour in any way to a JASO DH1 rated oil and therefore a CI4plus....I would be very interested to here how and see the documents.

There may well be certain friction modifiers absent in the later spec oils...but you will certainly find that they will be replaced by later and more expensive friction modifiers and other additives that work just as well if not better.

The recommendation that a JASO DH2 rated oil is the best choice for any modern common rail diesel remains a sound one......while the issue of contamination of DPF is an issue, no doubt there will be other issues as well.

It is also my strong assertrion that any JASO DH2 rated oil will be more than fine in an older diesel....particularly if that oil is aloso CI4plus compliant.

cheers

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » December 8th, 2013, 8:39 am

why doesn't Isuzu recommend a DH2 for its latest motor in the DMAX then? It recommends a DH1 probably because it has 20k OCI (a selling point to large fleets)

Perhaps a DH2 or CJ could be better if you are changing it more frequently (which a lot of people WILL do).

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » December 8th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Probably because as stated above there is no pdf fitted.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » December 8th, 2013, 5:19 pm

...and if the guys on BITOG are correct, the CJ oil wont last as long as the CI4 if you want to sell cars with warranty and 20k OCI.

Anyway using the Amsoil series 3000 and they reckon analysis would prove 20k or 12 months is ok, but I'd still prefer to do 10k OCI

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » December 10th, 2013, 6:37 am

One of the significant factors in vehicle marketing is cost of servicing.

Manufacturers will recomend only the minimum necessary oil standard, because it represents a cheaper option.

cheers

rat patrol
Need to get out more

Unread post by rat patrol » December 10th, 2013, 6:57 am

A very high quality oil will last at least 20,000ks .
I am off to Perth today in this road train now i do not do this full time any more only as a favour for the bloke how owns the truck I drove for him for 12 years.Image

Now this road train travels from Brissy the Perth and back every week 9800ks average every 6 days. two up driving.
Now we use a very high grade super synthetic oil The franz oil filters ( 3 stack) are changed every week and the oil is topped up, always around 3 -4 ltrs the sump holds 40 ltrs this is called an 'A" service now every 10 weeks or 100,000 ks the sump is changed. The first freightliner we had did 3.4 million ks on is first engine and 2.9 million on is 2nd then the truck caught fire and burnt to the ground :(. Now this one did 3.1 million on it first engine and has just had a full CAT rebuild installed two weeks ago so. If you are doing long hot miles you should have no worries with the oil .
I would change the filter before I changed the oil no point putting nice clean oil in a motor with a contaminated filter that dose not make sense . When I had my 4.2 patrol I changed the filters every 5,000ks and oil and filter every 10,000 it did 650.000ks whilst I owned it and the bloke who brought it of me has done another 85,000ks and still has not had the head off it.
Cheers
Rat

Nursepeter
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Nursepeter » February 1st, 2014, 9:53 am

RatPatrol.. thanks for that advice.. think that is the regime I'll do.. just clocking over 4000k on the Dmax and was contemplating an oil and filter change at 5k.. I'll just do the filter instead. Out of those 4000k, approx 3600k have been done driving to and from perth (a 900km trip one way).. I'd suggest this qualifys as long hot km's.

A silly question. Is it ok to top up with a higher grade oil? ie one that wont be the same as the manufacturers?
- The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. (Einstein)
- Incompetent behavior & actions, without consequence, builds confidence. This leads to complacency and arrogance which are th

Return to “Diesel Tech”