Any change in EGT temps after you fitted an Intercooler?

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Re: Any change in EGT temps after you fitted an Intercooler?

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » June 6th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Hi everyone... Had this post changed over to here from the Hilux section.. (Thanks Peter A.).

Very interested if anyone has/did check their temps before and after fitting an intercooler..
If you have read through the posts, you will get where I'm going with this..
If you clicked on the newest posts, best to read through to get an understanding what I've achieved so far..

At the moment, the atomiser is on the back burner til we get the new air filter sorted and fitted.. But have tracked down a misting jet so far.. This mister only used about .050 of a liter per minute at 30 PSI.. So I am thinking of a 5Kg fire extinguisher as a pressure cylinder and maybe a compressor to pressurise the system..
Puff

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » June 20th, 2013, 6:34 pm

Ok.. next update... Well the filter is made and fitted..

Used two stacked Uni Filter elements.. This give a total surface area of 97% more then a Commodore panel filter, which was initially considered. However the Commodore filter case was too bulky considering the surface area of the element it held.. Also taking into account the the element would have been horizontal meaning that any water entering the filter housing would be directed onto the element.

What we needed was a filter element that would shed any water, and this was achieved by using a vertical element, with a raised lip on the inside area of the element as a final barrier before entering the turbo..

The base is bolted to two brackets attached to the inner guard. The outlet to the turbo is effected by a vertical manifold located under the main base. This is then plumbed to the turbo via a hump hose and a 90 degree high flex hose. The hose from the catch can is attached to the manifold adjacent to the outlet with a brass restrictor to limit the turbo suction.. This was an issue as we didn't want oil to coat the inside of the intercooler.. After playing with different sizes, we found a balance where the fumes are extracted from the catch can, but the solids are not drawn through to the filter..
Filter 1_resize.JPG
The elements are stacked inside a removable 'cage' and clamped in place using two through bolts holding a top clamp plate..
Filter 2_resize.JPG
The filter is completed by fitting a top cover..
Filter 3_resize.JPG
The intake flex hose is surgical polyurethane that is bonded to the silicone adapter hose fittings. Although we may change that at a later date.
There is no induction noise (snorkel or engine bay) and there appears to be no reduction on air flow as the turbo is set at 8psi, but when everything is cold after initial start up, the boost does tap on 9psi as it did before fitting the filter.

Now, the only thing left to build is the particle separator to replace the filter pod which is still in the line.. I guess this means double filtration at the moment which can only be a good thing, but the pod would suffer from water ingestion on wet days, so it has to be substituted a separator..

The separator is to be built from a Bosch air flow meter (70mm bore)from a Nissan, with a 80mm adapter from a Commodore.. As per this photo..
Seperator 1_resize.JPG
More when it's all finished...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puff

ae86levin
Been here a while

Unread post by ae86levin » June 20th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Looks like a well built system you have there.
I will be installing a water to air system on my LN106 using a Subaru Liberty intecooler in the next few weeks. When I have it done I'll post up some temp differences for comparison.

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » June 21st, 2013, 10:23 pm

ae86levin... That would be really great if you could do that.. Seems like not many took note of their EGT's before and after an intercooler.. At the moment, the most mine get to is 380 degrees.. But the weather is cooler too...

Although, since fitting the intercooler, with wet / cold days there does not seem to be any noticeable change in performance..
Whereas before, colder or wet days did increase the power so much so as it was quite noticeable..

Boost is still set at 8psi and running between 9.5 and 10.1 L/100Km.
Puff

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » June 26th, 2013, 4:12 pm

well the particle separator has been made and fitted..
Separator 2_resize.jpg
As said previously, the body is a Bosch air flow meter from a Nissan. The bolt on flange on the snorkel side is from a Commodore air flow meter. (being Bosch, the flange is the same size) there is an 'O' ring seal against the jointing gasket between the body and the flange. The internals have been removed and a nylon block was machined out to match the internal and external size of the opening. A bottom plate had a Donaldson 'duck bill' fitted and this was all screwed to the body.
A aluminum 'turbine was made and fitted to the intake side and held in place by a silicone hose. The original screen was retained on the outlet side.
Separator3_resize.jpg
The separator is fitted to the snorkel hose and mounted to a bracket, holding the whole assembly rigid to the inner guard..
Separator4_resize.jpg
Haven't tried it in dust yet, but spraying water from a trigger bottle into the snorkel results with moisture collecting in the bottom of the separator body (and draining from the duck bill ) with no signs of moisture in the outlet hose.. Didn't spray a lot of water, but the results seemed good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puff

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » July 11th, 2013, 9:44 pm

Well the induction system is finished and the particle separator seems to be doing it's job ok..
Just made a new exhaust system from front to back and put the truck on the dyno to see how things are going..
Dyno3.jpg
The next step would be to start working on the atomiser.
Have got the dual probe temp gauge, so will fit that soon and do a graph of rev's / boost pressure / EGT's and post that when finished..
Puff

shamrock4life01
Here and there

Unread post by shamrock4life01 » July 14th, 2013, 9:40 am

the water separator idea is brilliant mate! been saving for a water to air kit for my bundera which is running a 1kz-te. my test hill is only a slight gradient but its pretty long. @100kph (full boost, roughly 11-12psi for majority of hill) im seeing 550 degrees C, pre turbo egts (hotter during summer). hoping water to air kit gets me well below 500 degrees on this particular hill.
"if u cant find it, GRIND IT"
1985 landcruiser bundera. 1kz-te engine in her. work in progress =)

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » July 14th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Hi shamrock4life01.. The atomiser that I am referring to is a spray jet that injects a water mist into the intercooler air intake. I couldn't get it right as you would have read in the earlier posts.. But am going to have another go at it now that the rest of the system is working.. The problems are that it seems that one needs a high pressure to create a fine mist to make a difference to the incoming air.. Too low a pressure causes too large water drops which have an adverse effect by insulating the fins in the cooler as I stated in earlier posts.. So, the problem is two fold whereby one needs to create a high water pressure and also carry on board enough water for the system to be effective on long road trips.. At the moment, the plan involves a 5kg fire extinguisher bottle as a chamber and an air compressor, (looking at an ARB compressor that I have)..

Mean while, the EGT's that you posted are not too bad if those reading are taken from a probe that is situated before the turbo as that reading(s) will always be higher then after the turbo.. But, of course an efficient intercooler will make a significant difference..

I still don't feel comfortable with water anywhere near a diesel engine, but different horses for different courses I guess.
For what it's worth, have just fitted a FPV water to air intercooler to a 105 series running a HZ. Just finished it late Friday night, so I don't have any defined temperatures as yet, but a run down the open road after fitting indicated a temperature drop of 70 degrees, which is brilliant.. The intercooler size is a 10 inch by 5 inch cooling chamber.. Will post some temps later this week if you need them..

As for your Bundy, a friend, (sometimes on here) is fitting a 1PZ he got off me to his Bundera, (after fitting one into a troopie).. Obviously that will make the machine fly, but we are looking at fitting the same cooler to his engine as well.

Lastly, I am in the middle of fitting the same system to a late Hilux, (D4D). While I think that it's probably an over kill in size, as CRD's run hotter, it may be exactly whats needed.. Problem is that there is bugger all room to fit the system, (and still look okay), and if it didn't have a body lift kit, it would have been an all too hard project. Should get it all plumbed up this coming week, so will have some figures on that as well if some one is interested.. Although, it seems that not many have taken notice on just how much difference their intercooler has made.. Don't really understand that, as in my thought process, I would need to know how effective the modification has been, and by extension, how can it be made to perform better..

Cheers.
Puff

ae86levin
Been here a while

Unread post by ae86levin » July 15th, 2013, 9:13 pm

I've just installed a water to air intercooler from an early '90s Subaru Legacy / Liberty onto my LN106.

For my before and after temps I took some video of the dash when driving up a particular hill near me. This let me step through the video and get the speed, rpm, boost and EGT.
My pyrometer is installed in the manifold so my temps are all pre-turbo.

During the intercooler install I added two k-type thermocouples to measure charge temp before the intercooler and after so that I could see how efficient the cooler was.

I saw 50c temp drop under high load (both runs done on the same hill) and a possibly inaccurate 100c drop at lower load.
The 60kph data may be a little off as I couldn't remember exactly where I did the 60kph 'before' video.
The charge temp dropped by around 50c as measured by the thermocouples.

Results below:

I plan on doing a full write up on the install soon. I'm also getting a dual display thermocouple display as I currently only have a multi meter so I have to switch the probes over to get pre and post cooler charge temps.

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » July 15th, 2013, 11:20 pm

ae86levin... Mate, that is great.. Thanks for the data and the way you have tabled it.. Makes for easy reading..
Also, makes me get my act together and do the in and out temp readings.. Your idea of a video would make it so much easier.. Will do the same and get the data posted.. Your before and after differential figures of 50 degrees and about what I'm seeing as well. Although, as I said in the previous post, that 105 seemed to be over the top by having a 70 degree difference. But the fuel will be wound up in the next day or so, and we'll see what difference that makes.. Also, the D4D installation is coming along. Will post some photos when that is finished..

As for the dual temp gauge, send me a PM before you buy one as there is one that was recently released on the market that has problems.. Don't want to see you get the wrong gauge..
Cheers.
Puff

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » July 16th, 2013, 6:28 pm

Here's the intercooler fitted to the 105... Fuel has been cranked up & EGT's running 60 degrees cooler then before.. Can feel the difference in torque..
Intercooler1_resize.jpg
Puff

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » July 18th, 2013, 1:02 am

Here's a couple of pics of the initial installation of the intercooler fitted to the Hilux D4D.. We used a 10 inch x 5 inch exchanger.. "They" said it couldn't be done. And to tell the truth, if it didn't have a body lift kit, it wouldn't have fitted..
But, as it is, everything came into place. Created a twisted steel loop pipe with from the turbo which is basically directly below the heat cooler. The truch is currently up on the hoist getting Elockers fitted front and rear. When that's finished, a twin diaphragm brake booster and master cylinder is to fitted, then the air box and the intercooler installation is finished off. Will post update photos then. This is the same size intercooler that was fitted to the 105 series, so we're hoping that the results are as good..
P1010277_resize.JPG
P1010279_resize.JPG
Puff

ae86levin
Been here a while

Unread post by ae86levin » July 26th, 2013, 12:43 pm

I finished off my thread on the W2A intercooler install I did for my LN106 Hilux for anyone that's interested:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146320

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » July 29th, 2013, 8:23 pm

ae86levin... Mate, that's a great install.. very well done.. And your write up covers everything.. Glad it all worked for you.. Been slack, but will get the camera out and post figures on my installation soon.. Cheers..
Puff

Livin gThe Lux Life
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Livin gThe Lux Life » January 22nd, 2018, 6:52 pm

I hop you don't mind me asking but what intercooler is that shown in the photo, Ive got the same one but no idea what it is and i need to replace it, cheers.

Return to “Diesel Tech”