Diesel rodeo burning oil help?

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
rodeo1
Getting to know the place

Diesel rodeo burning oil help?

Unread post by rodeo1 » March 17th, 2013, 11:02 am

G'day all. I own a 02 rodeo 3 l intercooler turbo diesel. I have been monitoring my oil and since the last service ( 4000ks ago) I have had to top the oil up twice, the ute has no external oil leaks and when running doesn't blow smoke although intermittently it will blow a large puff of fumey smoke on startup- hot or cold. I'm also using the recomended oil. My question is what's going on??? What is the likely cause and what should my first steps be? Am not overly mechanically minded so anything at all would be helpful cheers.

kenny158
Been here a while

Re: Diesel rodeo burning oil help?

Unread post by kenny158 » March 17th, 2013, 11:30 am

Hey mate. Might need some more info to be more help but here goes:

First, how many kilometres has the engine done and if so may need a compression test to confirm that all is ok internally, you may also need a vacuum test on the valves to check for leakage past the valve stem seals. Secondly, the turbo may be leaking oil through to the exhaust causing some oil consumption this can be checked by removing the exhaust from the turbo and looking for signs of oil. Apart from the onvious external leaks which you say are not there, I would start with this.

rodeo1

Unread post by rodeo1 » March 17th, 2013, 11:45 am

Thanks for the quick reply mate, the ute has done under 170000ks il look into the turbo problem when I get some time. Again thanks mate.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 17th, 2013, 11:55 am

rodeo1
Exactly which oil are you using. In a used engine this can be critical as far as oil usage and sealing properties go.
SOme oils although the user thinks they are ok do not clean and seal well and so the engine uses oil.
Let us know what oil it is that you use.

Brand
Viscosity rating and any other info about the oil you may know.

You might only have an oil performance problem.
mydmax

rodeo1

Unread post by rodeo1 » March 17th, 2013, 12:12 pm

G'day my dmax not sure on brand as I have thrown the bottle but either Penrite or valvoline 15w 40 .cheers

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 17th, 2013, 1:35 pm

rodeo1
That is good you have thrown the bottle of what ever it was.
Penrite or Valvoline are not the best oil you can use. Many have problems with Penrite and unfortunately ( at the risk of sounding like a cracked record) epecially Hilux owners.
Some swear by those oils and after using something better many swear at those oils.

Because your engine should be clean inside and the oil at 170,000 should be working in the engines favour and keeping all good inside, I think it is time you changed to use a good oil which is a proven world wide oil.

Many who have switched to either Caltex Dello 400 or Mobil Delvac MX have had their problem with oil use either largely reduce or disappear.
Forum member "Bluehilux" is one who changed and will never go back. After he had problems like yours he used a better quality oil and is now quite happy. There are many others too.
If purchased in 20L it is often cheaper than the other stuff.

Benefits.

Cleans engine internals. First change will be dirty because the new oil will clean the film of sludge/crap out of the engine.
Ungums rings and seals the rings far better.
Therefore less blowby, possibly more power.
Oil stay cleaner for longer and maybe you can then extend the change period , = more saving.

After using Mobil Delvac for a while I would think your oil usage will be back to what it was at 100,00km because the oil works.

Give it a go, you have nothing to lose and much to gain.

mydmax

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » March 17th, 2013, 2:19 pm

I prefer not to cop and changes types/brands of oil. Even if it's good oil you can see some increase in oil use for a bit when changing from one type to another.
http://www.shell.co.id/en/products-serv ... ithimage_7

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » March 17th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Mydmax has probably hit the nail on the head regarding oil choice.
Its also the cheapest way of testing oil consumption, change to a different good quality oil ( I used delo 400 in my tf 7 rodeo and didn't have oil use issues,but it didn't like Mobil delvac)
Also what type of running has the car been doing?
Easy around town or being mercilessly flogged with a heavy trailer behind it?
If its been doing really easy around town running, stick a loaded trailer behind it an take a run through the hills and see how that goes.
A compression and cylinder leak down test will also give a blood idea what's going on.

rodeo1

Unread post by rodeo1 » March 17th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Thanks for the replies guys il be taking it on board and will be changing oils in next few weeks. The car has not done a lot of work since I have owned it I do a lot or really short trips as I work not far from home and other than that just unloaded country K's not flogging it but god knows how it was driven previously. Thanks again guys.

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » March 17th, 2013, 9:26 pm

rodeo1 wrote:The car has not done a lot of work since I have owned it I do a lot or really short trips as I work not far from home and other than that just unloaded country K's not flogging it.
Thanks again guys.
Short trips that don't really get it up to full operating temp will be your problem.
Change your oil , stick a loaded trailer on it and go for a 100 km drive, through hills if you have them or just sit on hi way speeds, this will clean the engine out and rebed your rings. This should slow or stop your oil consumption for a time, short trips through cold running and fuel dilution of the oil will cause oil usage again, go for a longish trip at speed once a month or so and see what happens.
Last edited by dhc4ever on March 18th, 2013, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

anothertime
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by anothertime » May 1st, 2018, 9:26 pm

Hey guy's good info above. My son has an 02 3.0l Rodeo that burns a heap of oil. There was a massive leak from the turbo (face plate would separate under load and drip oil out) We have resolved that but still burning a heap...

Based on the advice above, we've just loaded up with Delo, but while we were at it we did a compression test on it. The dry test was with the engine cold - not sure if that's OK or if it has to be warm...

Interestingly, 3 of the cylinders changed by 35psi exactly when wet test while the other only varied by 5psi.

Results were:

1 - 205 dry 240 wet
2 - 195 dry 230 wet
3 - 240 dry 275 wet
4 - 215 dry 220 wet

Only changed the oil on the weekend so haven't really found out if it's still burning but what do you reckon we are looking at with the above numbers? Is it terminal?

Return to “Diesel Tech”