Hilux 1KZ-TE blocking off EGR Valve

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Buz
Been here a while

Hilux 1KZ-TE blocking off EGR Valve

Unread post by Buz » August 23rd, 2012, 1:35 am

Gday there, i was just wondering if anyone out there owns a pre 2005 3.0L TD Hilux(1KZ-TE engine) and has blocked their EGR off? I have a 2002 Hilux KZN165R, and have just found out that it does have an EGR valve.

Would really like some advice or even better photos/diagrams/sketchs??? on how to do this.

I have found a heap of info on the Surf and Prado 1KZ-TE engine EGR blocking, but none had any pics or clear instructions of what i should be looking at and how to do it. Plus i dont even know if their engine EGR Valves are set up the same? Seems the most common way for them is blocking the actual hose rather than a blanking plate???

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because from what i can gather it is something which can only help an engine by making sure there isnt crap air being fed back into the intake.

Thanks in advance, Buz.

woodsy321
Been here a while

Re: Hilux 1KZ-TE blocking off EGR Valve

Unread post by woodsy321 » September 2nd, 2012, 12:10 pm

Yes your 1KZ-TE has EGR and yes it is better to block it off. i had my mechanic block mine off when i replaced the cylinder head, the old one was a mess! full of soot and carbon. sorry i couldnt tell you exactly how it was done and cant help with any pics as i have sold the hilux

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 2nd, 2012, 1:51 pm

There is a whole heap of stuff here on the Forum about this, both in this section and in the Hilux section - well worth a bit of a search, but you might need to go thru the general search and on to Advanced search to select from only those two sections using words like blocking or valve, looking in the topic titles only and showing the results as topics so you can pick the threads that refer to EGR valves; and then of course spending some time reading! ;)

If you have hassles finding it thru search, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Nixon22
Here and there

Unread post by Nixon22 » September 2nd, 2012, 8:27 pm

Hey mate i have a 5l-e 3l hilux witch i just turboed and mine had i egr valve i think? haha anyways i cut the tube and just welded the tip off so no exhaust gas or air gets sucked back in.

Buz
Been here a while

Unread post by Buz » September 11th, 2012, 12:49 am

Thanks for the replys Woodsy, Peter and Nixon. Sorry been away a while and havent checked in for that time.

Yeah i knew the 1kzte had an EGR Valve and that it could be bloked off, and from the little info i could gather specific to my Hilux it seemd some did the blanking plate and some did the block the vaccume hose, or some did both.

Peter i did a heap of searches on this forums search engine, even googled. Any key words relating to KZN165R, 1KZ-TE, 1KZTE, EGR, blanking plate, etc i had a go searching. But as i said all i could find was heaps of info for blocking the EGR valves on the new D4D Hilux's, or the 1KZ-TE engines that were in the Prados or the Surfs, even on multiple other 4wd, car, and outdoor forums. And from the pictures and diagrams people had on them, it seemed under the bonnet they werent all exactly the same layout and had mixed results for those 4x4's.

If you have any links to any threads specific to the KZN165R Hilux' EGR Valve blocking off on this site, i would greatly appreciated if you could chuck them up for me, as i couldnt find the exact info i was looking for. Plenty of close info, but not exactly what i was looking for.

Alternatively i might just do what Woodsy did and find a mechanic and just ask him to do it for me. Just wanted to get as much info on what is actually done, the pros, the cons, any problems, any real life benefits before handballing all in the hands of a mechanic i dont know.

Thanks, Buz.

feralmr2
Here and there

Unread post by feralmr2 » September 20th, 2012, 10:49 pm

hi, really there is no cons as far as i am concerned in blocking off the egr. cleaner burning engine, less soot in the oil (is amazing how much cleaner the oil stays for longer), to some better fuel economy. etc..

the best way to block it is to make a blanking plate either on the exhaust side or the intake side to physicaly stop the exhaust gases entering the intake of the engine. like you said others have just blocked off the vacum line to the valve. but if the valve is leaking or carboned up then it's still going to leak exhaust gasses and carbon into thte intake.
anyone with some sort of mechanical nouse should be able to do this just by looking at their engine, undoing a few nuts/bolts and cutting out some metal.
i opted to remove the whole egr valve and pipework, so i had to cut out a plate to block the hole on the intake manifold and the one from the exhaust maifold. i used ~4mm plate steel (you can use aluminium if you wished). i just traced the shape of each flange on to the metal can cut it out. used a lilttle copper maxx and bolted them on.

not mine, but i cant see the 1kzte being that much different in yours as to mine (which is the same as the one pictured).

Buz
Been here a while

Unread post by Buz » September 20th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Thanks heaps for that feralmr2. Exactly the info and pics i was hoping for. Definitly going to do it now, think i have some 5mm steel somewhere in my shed and will buy some Copper Maxx to do the seal.

Thanks again, Buz.

sarb
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sarb » December 29th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Hi buz did you end up doing this, as i got to pull my engine out for a reco was thinking of blocking the EGR off too... sounds like a good idea.. Any drama with doing it.. eg error codes on computer ? cheers sarb

sarb
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sarb » December 30th, 2012, 12:00 pm

HI all
done some reading up on this as the 1kzte has a computer ill need to leave all the plugs connected to the EGR so the computer dont put up a fault code but just blank off the connecting pipe so the gases dont get through..well thats what my understanding of it all is if im wrong please let us and everyone else know...

thanks again sarb :)

snout
Been here a while

Unread post by snout » December 4th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Just bringing up an old thread - i'm thinking of giving the intake manifold on my 1kz lux a good clean out and then blanking off the egr. I havent been able to find any info as to whether this will throw a fault code up or not. Plenty of people seem to have done it on their trucks, but if you've done it on your 1kz hilux, please give me the low down!
Cheers
Snout

snout
Been here a while

Unread post by snout » December 28th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Buz, sarb!

Have you guys gone through with the mod? Have you noticed any negatives? Truck running hotter or losing boost?

TDhiluxperth02
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by TDhiluxperth02 » August 23rd, 2018, 7:53 pm

Hey guys I’m reading about the egr valve delete and can’t figure out how to view the photos , jw if anyone can help

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 23rd, 2018, 9:20 pm

Sorry TD, but what with photobucket doing its ransom thing & the changes the Forum's platform has undergone since 2012, many of the links to images here have been lost, including those in this thread. :o I have been working thru & re-linking those I can find, but that's a pretty tedious task, making it a very loooong & drawn out process (& funnily enough, it's just about as painful as pulling your own teeth! :eek: ) so I can't promise you any results soon. :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Diesel Tech”