View topic - 1HZ Valve Clearances

1HZ Valve Clearances

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Avid Poster

1HZ Valve Clearances

Hi all! I am about to do my valve clearances for the first time I am reasonably capable but would like to know if there is anything to look out for. My engine is getting a bit noisy around the 2200-2400 rpm mark no noise above and below these revs, I figure the clearances are too tight as they have never been done :crazy: 340,000kms now last 100,000 with a Turbo on it. I think I am lucky it hasn't gone "Bang" yet, pretty amazing really when the motor was not designed for it :o Must be attributed to regular oil/filter changes :) Thanks in advance :thumb:

Unread postby JDs » April 16th, 2011, 9:06 am

Been here a while

Re: 1HZ Valve Clearances

hey mate they arent too bad to do im doing mine this week, (just converted it to turbo also 1hz)
they are the shim type so ive been told, you need two special tools to do it properly. but can also improvise haha .

i saw a video around here somwhere on how to do them! ill try dig it up

also off topic, what exhaust gas temps are you running?

Unread postby GRIMACEGQ » April 16th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Been here a while

Unread postby GRIMACEGQ » April 16th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Avid Poster

Thanks Buddy I am just about to look at the link now! I don't know what my EGT's are but I did have it dynoed but there machine was a bit suss so I didn't get a proper readout, I have just fiddled with the pump screw a bit, up a bit down a bit whoops too much smoke! Down a bit, you know but thanks for the link I will check it out now! Cheers!

Unread postby JDs » April 16th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Avid Poster

That is really great thanks heaps :thumb: :thumb:

Unread postby JDs » April 16th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Been here a while

Mate be careful fiddling with the fuel screw if you don't have a pyro guage - you could be running your temps pretty high.

I made that video by the way and I always do a valve shim adjust on the 1HZ's when I get them - they all need an adjustment it seems and it makes a difference on the egt's and engine noise.

louis

Unread postby lshobie » April 16th, 2011, 10:35 pm

Return to Diesel Tech