VW Toureg V10 TDI - Any one owned one

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
PDIDDY
Been here a while

Unread post by PDIDDY » August 21st, 2010, 8:40 am

I work as a VW service advisor in a dealership, and have a customer that has just completed a 20000km round trip in his V10 Toureg towing a 2.5 ton caravan. He said it was surprisingly economical, and went everywhere his travelling companion's F250 (travelling workshop) did.
The only things we did before he set of was a service, and replace a sagged engine mount. We should have changed his gear oil, but didn't have enough in stock at the time.
He has had the vehicle back in since completing his trip, with a complaint about the car thumping down through the gears on kickdown. He said it happened fairly often, so he travelled mainly n manual mode for his journey. Anyway, we drained the gearbox oil, and it came out like vegemite, with some metal in it. The transfer and diffs were about the same. We changed the oil (all 10lts of it @ $90 per litre), and told him we would talk to VW about his box.
He is now staring at a bill of anywhere between $16-20k if VW don't cover it under warranty.
My advice, but one if you require a very comfortable and capable 4wd. But make sure it has factory warranty, and then buy an extended one.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » August 21st, 2010, 1:07 pm

offroadjack wrote:the outback is toyota and nissan territorry!!
With the introduction of the 200 series there are less new toyotas in the outback.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » August 21st, 2010, 1:10 pm

PDIDDY wrote:The only things we did before he set of was a service, and replace a sagged engine mount. We should have changed his gear oil, but didn't have enough in stock at the time.

He is now staring at a bill of anywhere between $16-20k if VW don't cover it under warranty.
My advice, but one if you require a very comfortable and capable 4wd. But make sure it has factory warranty, and then buy an extended one.
Sounds like a servicing issue rather than a car issue. If it was know that the oils should have been changed - they should have been.

PDIDDY
Been here a while

Unread post by PDIDDY » August 21st, 2010, 2:11 pm

I agree, but when you only get the car the day before the customer leaves, and the parts are 2 days away, something has to give.

bug eyez
Here and there

Unread post by bug eyez » August 21st, 2010, 2:23 pm

what's the point of selling a new car if you don't have the basic consumables to service it?

Black Bull

Unread post by Black Bull » August 21st, 2010, 2:44 pm

Lotsa goodies, things like a Dual stage oil pump, baffled twin sump. traction control, diff locks etc. not to mention Gobsmacks of power, great economy and top 10 placings (and 3 firsts) in the Dakar rally for the last 10 years.
With the exception of the price tag, it'd almost make the ultimate tourer.
If it was similar in price to the new Cruiser or next years Patrol, I'd buy it over them

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » August 21st, 2010, 3:24 pm

They do not hold resale value all that well - as most cars in this price range do not. The new car price of the VW is not a lot different to the Lexus version of the Landcruiser.

There are some nice second hand cars with low Km around but most are black :-(.

PDIDDY
Been here a while

Unread post by PDIDDY » August 21st, 2010, 6:52 pm

That's a question I ask the parts dept daily.....

poulviking
Been here a while

Unread post by poulviking » August 22nd, 2010, 7:14 pm

I believe the early models had the same gearbox as the smaller v6 models and killed the them often even on road towing.
this info is from a cardealer in europe who's owned 2 of the smaller models and is very happy with them.
they are worth around $100.000 in Denmark (as a 2 seater "van") for tax purposes.

J5
Avid Poster

Unread post by J5 » August 22nd, 2010, 7:48 pm

quite interesting PDIDDY, your dealership didnt complete the required service and there has now been a mechanical failure

if VW wont cover it then the responsibility should fall on your dealership ????

$90 a litre, wtf ?? what special oil is that ??
09 Colorado LX Dualcab 3.0 CRDI ARB Barwork , Canopy ,Safari Snorkel, Tigerz11 winch ,LongRanger Tank, GME TX3440 UHF, Rear Airlocker , Rhino Roof Racks , Steinbauer , 3inch Taipan , 265/76/16 Cooper ATR's , 2 inch OME , ScangaugeII , NightVision 180mm spots, Pirahna Diff Breathers :truck:

Pog
Need to get out more

Unread post by Pog » August 22nd, 2010, 8:32 pm

offroadjack wrote:one hint!.. have a look at the last dvd of 4wd action! even a GU nissan is stranded with an ignition key that won't talk to the ECU!!! 2 grand to get him to the nearest nissan dealer! can you imagine what it'll cost to get a VW to a dealer when your stranded in woop woop??? with a elec. fault!! or just to recode a key!!
Who said he was planning on taking it out of the city? Horses for courses.
2002 Hilux 2.7 Dualcab, 2" OME suspension, LF240 50w HID's, IPF headlight upgrade, Icom IC-400PRO, RFI CD900, ECB bullbar, ARB compressor.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » August 22nd, 2010, 8:47 pm

Well I would be - but these issues do exist - with my current vehicle I carry a spare ECU and fobs etc - in a modern vehicle it is just one of the spares you carry - Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Having said that - my current vehicle does have an emergency manual means of bypassing these issue. Not sure about a VW.

J5
Avid Poster

Unread post by J5 » August 23rd, 2010, 5:34 am

i dont recall seeing bypass in most vehicles

my bike ducati has a procedure if the immobiliser doesnt work , twist throttle hold brake etc etc , enter a code and then you can ride it

vw keys are dealer program

if it was my patrol that got stuck up the cape i would prob consider getting an matched ecu and key from wreckers freighted up or if you have a mate with same vehicle that could do without for a few days , you already have the key to turn the lock , you just need the chip to work the ecu
09 Colorado LX Dualcab 3.0 CRDI ARB Barwork , Canopy ,Safari Snorkel, Tigerz11 winch ,LongRanger Tank, GME TX3440 UHF, Rear Airlocker , Rhino Roof Racks , Steinbauer , 3inch Taipan , 265/76/16 Cooper ATR's , 2 inch OME , ScangaugeII , NightVision 180mm spots, Pirahna Diff Breathers :truck:

Ducky103
Avid Poster

Unread post by Ducky103 » August 23rd, 2010, 12:22 pm

I managed to bypass the factory imobiliser on a previous vehicle i owned which enabled me to remotely start the car with the car alarm I installed in it.
2004 RA crew cab/chassis 3.0TD - Snorkel, bullbar, UHF, longrange fuel tank. sliders almost done
1999 Jackaroo 3.5l V6 - bullbar. The family bus.

Hippo_Racing
Been here a while

Re:

Unread post by Hippo_Racing » November 5th, 2010, 7:02 pm

garrycol wrote:Well I would be - but these issues do exist - with my current vehicle I carry a spare ECU and fobs etc - in a modern vehicle it is just one of the spares you carry - Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

do you know if you can swap them and it will work?, most newer cars with can bus will lock out ecu's (or other modules) if they havnt been vats linked.... so your still screwed and need a scan tool anyway.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwmKLsUn ... re=related

see this, looks like it would lift the wheels off the ground when it launches

Return to “General”