VW Toureg V10 TDI - Any one owned one

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
Hippo_Racing
Been here a while

Re: VW Toureg V10 TDI - Any one owned one

Unread post by Hippo_Racing » November 5th, 2010, 7:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEXwIQxt ... re=related

watch it at the 8 min mark.... id be packing it if i was doing that...

Selphy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Selphy » January 5th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Well, I own a Q7 with the 4.2tdi in it and now pull around a 2.5T off road Jayco van with motocross bikes inside. Not everyone who buys these things want to go through the middle of oz in one, but you will NOT find a better tow vehicle anywhere. 800Nm of torque will see to that. I have been up the beach in it, to private bike tracks on the sides of mountains. I don't use WDH even as all the electronics are there for towing and the adjustable air suspension works a treat - wading depth of 900mm is plenty for what I want.

Each to their own. I contemplated a 200 series Sahara but for the money and what I wanted it for, this is a much, much better vehicle.

dkbikes
Here and there

Unread post by dkbikes » June 7th, 2011, 10:02 pm

dunno if your still interested in this post, but my parents have the v6tdi touareg and they love it, they've had a 100series v8 cruiser and and chev silverado and the reckon the touareg is buy far the best car, they do alot of towing with it and the reckon they barley notice the load, (horse float,caravan), after owing the vw they both say they would never go back,especially to the landcruiser....... the otnly thing rong with the chev was its size and lack of room in the back seats
Thanks
snorkel,k&n,Arb Compressor,265/75 bighorns,2" Suspension, 2" body, 3" exhaust,boost controller,RooChip,Heaps of LED's,xrox bar,Lightforce 140&240's,
Winch
037OUR

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » January 23rd, 2012, 7:16 pm

having owned a vw transporter (some touregs have same engine) for 7 years i am very familar with their endless problems. if i was stranded in the desert and a toureg came along i would politely tell the yuppy that i'll wait for the next one thanks. not even worth spitting on.

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » January 23rd, 2012, 7:28 pm

I personally wouldn't buy one - or any late model european vehicle.
When they work, they are undoubtedly great vehicles, but as vehicles do, they break down.
Touaregs are far too difficult to get replacement parts for - well unless you know where to look.
Service parts arent a huge issue (but always have your Vin number handy!)

Then there's the costs.
Be prepared to pay in excess of $100 / disc and set of pads (maybe closer to $150-200 for pads)

If an ecu or electronic component failed in the past, you could typically get it repaired, or replace it with a secondhand item, plug it in and away you go.
Nowadays forget it, assuming you can replace it with a secondhand unit, 90% of them require recoding, which can only be done by - you guessed it, a stealership. So carrying a spare ECU / BCM etc with you still will not help you if you're in the simpson desert. Best you start walking.

And lastly, you really need to over service the vehicles IMO. Back in the day you could run a service out for a few thousand k without too much damage, and they'd take whatever oil ya threw in them. These newer ones may have 20,000km service intervals - but only if you use the right stuff!

Don't get me wrong, im not bagging the vehicle (completely) I just wouldn't own one for the intended purpose of offroad use - tow vehicle absolutely, offroad - i'll take my pushbike instead.

Oh and one final reason why i wouldn't buy one, IMO they're farking ugly!
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » January 23rd, 2012, 9:54 pm

And is a new 200 series diesel any different?

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » January 27th, 2012, 6:09 am

this is something i wonder too garry.

i got rid of my vw because when something goes wrong with it noone knows how to fix it. even vw (tried 4 different genuines in sydney) throw their hands in the air admitting they have no idea what to do.
they are far too complex so when somethings not right then theres too many possibilities and things to try. not like in the old days it was just either fuel or air.
i didnt buy another new car because im just sick of all the electronic bs and just want something with a donk that can be damn well fixed. i do/did wonder if another brand has or would have the same problems as everything now is electronic. although even vw themselves admit that they have twice as many warranty claims as any jap brand.

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » January 27th, 2012, 6:45 am

I can't really comment on that garrycol, as i have nothing to do with them. But other than being lily ugly, i suspect the 200 series would be much of a muchness with regards to electronics. Everything is going that way.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

Lurch200
Here and there

Unread post by Lurch200 » March 13th, 2012, 7:34 pm

I have a 2010 R50 Touareg limited edition model that has had power upped comapred to normal V10 model plus I have chipped it to over +300kw/1000nm. They are a engineering masterpiece, to go off-road have to change from 21" rims to 20" to get decent rubber on [coopers]. Full air suspension and built in air compressor. I'm a diesel mechanic and I guess from the previous post a yuppie? or someone that enjoys diesel power [owned a 200 series sahara fully modified from suspension,g/box and intercooler].
Matt-R50 V10TDI

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » March 13th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Do VW actually make anything bad ?
Every one I have had has been great.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » March 28th, 2012, 5:08 am

buy a T5. then will you will know what bad is. i know people who spend 20k a year on repairs. off the road for 50% of the time.

Return to “General”