Sorento Diff Locks

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
Blurter
Getting to know the place

Sorento Diff Locks

Unread post by Blurter » September 27th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Anyone know where I can get diff locks for a Kia Sorento?

Jackman
Here and there

Unread post by Jackman » September 29th, 2009, 6:44 am

Blurter wrote:Anyone know where I can get diff locks for a Kia Sorento?
Sorry mate none availiable and don't hold your breath.....

Blurter

Unread post by Blurter » September 29th, 2009, 7:02 pm

Who have you checked with? I have asked lockright and ARB, who don't make them.

Jackman
Here and there

Unread post by Jackman » September 30th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Blurter wrote:Who have you checked with? I have asked lockright and ARB, who don't make them.
Have asked ARB and 4wd systems. That was at least 12months ago but they showed no interest at all.

offroadjack
Part of the furniture

Unread post by offroadjack » September 30th, 2009, 3:35 pm

uuuh....KIA???:D forget it!
get the welder out!:D if ya wanna lock the...thing.
[b]should change my name in "ROLLOVAJACK"[/b]

Pog
Need to get out more

Unread post by Pog » October 1st, 2009, 3:38 pm

I'd be spending my money elsewhere if it was me. Starting with the suspension and brakes.
2002 Hilux 2.7 Dualcab, 2" OME suspension, LF240 50w HID's, IPF headlight upgrade, Icom IC-400PRO, RFI CD900, ECB bullbar, ARB compressor.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 1st, 2009, 4:04 pm

Talk to Harrop Engineering in Melbourne, if there is ANY diff lock available, they'll be able to tell you. Opposite Lock and Locked Drive Systems look after Detroit Lockers & No Spin diffs that now come from Eaton in the States, but Harrop are the Aust Reps for Eaton, and they look after ELockers, all the Detroit stuff, a whole range of spools and mini-spools, and just about any performance/safety/traction enhancement that you can imagine. They are usually pretty helpful, but do remember that the BIG markets that get serviced with this sort of stuff are basically the US and Europe, so Kia might not get a guernsey! But still worth the call!

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Blurter

Unread post by Blurter » October 1st, 2009, 5:24 pm

Pog wrote:I'd be spending my money elsewhere if it was me. Starting with the suspension and brakes.

I've got an OME suspension kit and frankly there's nothing wrong with the brakes.

I'll contact Harrop though thasnk Peter @.

I've seen Youtube video of Sorentos with diff locks in Europe, so someone makes them.

Cheers

Jackman
Here and there

Unread post by Jackman » October 1st, 2009, 8:46 pm

Blurter wrote:I've got an OME suspension kit and frankly there's nothing wrong with the brakes.

I'll contact Harrop though thasnk Peter @.

I've seen Youtube video of Sorentos with diff locks in Europe, so someone makes them.

Cheers
Yep his name is John Iliaais and he is from Greece. I sent him an email and he replied that his engineer is still trying to engineer locker a little better for export and would get back to me. That was in August.

Blurter

Unread post by Blurter » October 1st, 2009, 8:48 pm

Jackman wrote:Yep his name is John Iliaais and he is from Greece. I sent him an email and he replied that his engineer is still trying to engineer locker a little better for export and would get back to me. That was in August.

Excellent! Light at the end of the tunnel. Can you let me know when he gets back to you?

Thanks Mate.

Blurter

Unread post by Blurter » October 7th, 2009, 5:58 am

I tracked the guy down myself and he emailed that the rear diff lock they have developped is working well but they have no plans to market them internationally. They are now working on a front diff lock for the Sorento.

Still waiting on replies from Harrop and ARB.

I'll discuss the isse with a Brother who is an engineer, though, I suspect the cost and time to develop one myself will be beyond me.

SportageJarrod
Here and there

Unread post by SportageJarrod » October 12th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Try finding after market stuff for a sportage! All the major players shrug you off. And before anyone Sh!ts on me, I ve had my beast for 8 years, no major probs, I've been to Vic High country, Fraser, Kangaroo Island, Watagans, Stockton, Yalwal, Newnes and STILL made it back alive, with the camper trailer in tow.

It really does become a factor in purchasing a vehicle if you want to put a whole lot of goodies onto it but there is virtually no aftermarket support. It ultimately limits your finaly setup to a finite point.
Kia Sportage- 29" BFG Mud Terrains, 2" King Spring Lift, Wildcat Exrtractors, Steel Catalic Converter, 2" Exhaust Cat back, K&N Air Filter, Waeco Fridge, Camel Camper Trailer. :thumb:

derrilex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by derrilex » October 12th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Ive mainly found with my 97 sporty that you make it yourself or do without. Shame really becuase they are sooooooo underated and piss all over anything else their size in the scrub, sierra excluded.

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » October 13th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Blurter....this is going to cost a bit more, but is still going to be easier than developing a proper locker yourself....

why not try and find out if there is a more common diff you can swap into the sorrento, that you can get diff locks for....i'm thinking an older pajero is your best option....as i believe the kia uses some of the parts from it...

the other option is to see if you can contact the company in greece, and do a one off international order...or better yet, try and organise a group buy....if you can find a few willing sorrento owners in aus you may be able to get it at a better price
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

derrilex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by derrilex » October 13th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Agree with cac. I thought they used superceeded pajero running gear.

Return to “General”