is this overkill

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
andy086
Been here a while

Re: is this overkill

Unread post by andy086 » October 13th, 2010, 7:47 pm

It's awesome bar.. for the outback, but overkill for the city. Saw a Prado out central queensland that hit a 5" roo at 100km/h and they bar wasn't even bent after the hit.. Shook the crap out of the car but it is a must have in this country. The bar was a Feral Thumper made in Toowoomba. I wrote a ARB steel bar off hitting a roo at Warwick had to replace it with something stronger, wasn't impressed.

Andy

highoctane
Avid Poster

Unread post by highoctane » October 13th, 2010, 9:34 pm

not only is it great for roo's but leave it on there long enough and you'll be able to grade the road :thumb:

aussiecowboy
Avid Poster

Unread post by aussiecowboy » November 10th, 2010, 7:24 am

I've spent a good bit of my life working in the outback and ran a home made but similar bar for many years. It must have survived 50 roo strikes unscathed with no chassis damage, despite what some people here claim. I then went to a new triton with a TJM bar and the first roo destroyed the bar, bonnet, grille, left headlight and left guard and I was without a ute for a week. Not the best looking bar but it will keep a vehicle and it's occupants safe, I'd have one any day.

And to all the people here bagging it, if you don't like it, don't buy one. Simple.

fat wagon
Been here a while

Unread post by fat wagon » April 5th, 2011, 10:38 am

Black bull said: My point, doesn't matter how big the bar, a big hit at 100kph+ with a 200KG plus pig or a big western Red roo will still write off your vehicle as the chassis will crumple with any "Legal" bull bar

I live in south west Qld haven't see any 200kgs roos or pigs but Know a lot of shooter that would like to find out where you are keeping them mmm 5 roo's to the ton easy nights shooting :) theres normaly 50 roo's to the ton! 25kgs dressed is a big roo.

me personaly I don't like them but I know why people have them and the insurance company's will fit them as a replacement bar them out here insted of a arb or tjm bar at the owners request yes they are big yes they are strong but there mounts let them down

1Tuff60
Here and there

Unread post by 1Tuff60 » April 30th, 2011, 11:51 am

Its funny how most of the people against this bar do not understand their purpose. If you dont have one, more than likely you dont need one. Its like saying that the cars Pete and Mal in TT built, are overkill. They are built for a purpose. I built a bar for a bloke that had a 79 series that looked very similar to the one in the photo except it was out of steel. It was heavy but when he hit a 130kg pig whilst doing 120kmh between Nowendoc and Nundle, He was able to continue on with no damage at all.

No, they are not the best for approach angle, but best bet, The only off road these vehicles see are around the farm or dirt roads along with high remote outback kms. It is about being able to have a collision with wild life in remote areas and being able to continue on your journy without being stranded. Alot of folks around here often travel between their properties which can be about 300kms apart and often at night. For some its not about if i look cool with this bar, its weather its practicle.

In comparison. I hit a large roo at 60 kms in my 75 with a ARB which pushed the bar back to the grill and bent the side around to the tyre. Most weakest bar i have seen. Took them 2 weeks to fix my car.

Quite often city or surburban people wont understand.

Cheers.

Smash_n_machine
Avid Poster

Unread post by Smash_n_machine » May 1st, 2011, 2:05 pm

1Tuff60 wrote: Quite often city or surburban people wont understand.

Cheers.
lol nail on the head

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » May 1st, 2011, 2:22 pm

Tuff is a Toowoomba company. I see those bars around all the time and look great on larger light trucks. Yes they are way overkill for a small vehicle imo and heavy too, even if they're alloy. Unless you drive at night on out of the way highways at night (which you do) a lot and are willing to use heavy suspension/tyres to support them and pay for the fuel to carry them around, they cannot be justified. Slow down perhaps and use a lighter bar?

1Tuff60 is right too. I have had plenty of near miss roos out this way.

Jimmy10
Been here a while

Unread post by Jimmy10 » May 13th, 2011, 11:14 pm

This sounds like a very eastern states biased thread, I live in WA and i love the Bar. Its old school and looks like if it hit a roo it'll protect the car and keep you moving which is why we all bit front protection! But my question is are "5 post" bull bars still legal? I havent seen any in WA for years and i was under the impression they were illegal? this might be a WA thing only not sure but the way bull bar laws are going might be something to consider before buying barwork like this?

John
Fun Size!

Mud Salami
Been here a while

Unread post by Mud Salami » May 14th, 2011, 1:05 am

Agreed - people throw in their 2 cents worth and consider themselves experts!

Most of the 'experts' probably have set up camp in the national park before the sun goes down!

arb bar has alot of R&D and deflective technology etc... but you guys need to think of some guys out there travel on gravel for 90% of their week and dont have the luxury of stopping when the sun goes down...

i know at harvest time out at Condobolin we dont finish till way past dark.

horse and bull strikes can happen and im sure a 'mainstream' bar would help but when you've seen an impact first hand with the devestation and loss of life it causes - if i was out there id prefer to be safe than sorry.

rolly82

Unread post by rolly82 » May 14th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Jimmy10 wrote:But my question is are "5 post" bull bars still legal? I havent seen any in WA for years and i was under the impression they were illegal? this might be a WA thing only not sure but the way bull bar laws are going might be something to consider before buying barwork like this?
John
John,5 posters are only illegal in WA.They have been outlawed here for
about the last 3-4 years.

Brad,

Jimmy10
Been here a while

Unread post by Jimmy10 » May 14th, 2011, 10:33 pm

rolly82 wrote:
Jimmy10 wrote:But my question is are "5 post" bull bars still legal? I havent seen any in WA for years and i was under the impression they were illegal? this might be a WA thing only not sure but the way bull bar laws are going might be something to consider before buying barwork like this?
John
John,5 posters are only illegal in WA.They have been outlawed here for
about the last 3-4 years.

Brad,
Cheers for the post Brad that confirms what i thought. The little Jimny will have to stick with what its got :)
Fun Size!

Smash_n_machine
Avid Poster

Unread post by Smash_n_machine » May 15th, 2011, 4:53 pm

wrote my run around car off on the way to work 5am last week 5 mins from home on a wallaby tore the bottem of the radiator out and killed it, prob should get my ass into gear and rego the cruiser lol for the reason of animal strikes just to get to work

Clive
Been here a while

Unread post by Clive » May 15th, 2011, 6:50 pm

I can't say it's to my taste, but if I lived at the back of Burke where you are more than likely to run into something on a regular basis.... It might just be the thing to have
I don't think we should be so critical of others, if it's a legal issue let the police deal with it. There are plenty of people who don't approve of 4wd, and as a result tracks are closed.
What you don't realize is that once they take out the bigger bull bars, then you are next.... The old divide and conquer routine. Best to say nothing negative and just leave it be.

Smash_n_machine
Avid Poster

Unread post by Smash_n_machine » June 5th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Smash_n_machine wrote:wrote my run around car off on the way to work 5am last week 5 mins from home on a wallaby tore the bottem of the radiator out and killed it, prob should get my ass into gear and rego the cruiser lol for the reason of animal strikes just to get to work
you people wont believe this but put a new rediator in that car and hit another wallaby in under a week and killed that radiator to hopeflly 3rds the charm lol, o well crusier is road worthy tomorra

aussie pride
Here and there

Unread post by aussie pride » December 7th, 2011, 12:39 pm

i thought the 5 posters were still legal in WA but you have to have them tilted back with a rounded bar on the far sides, could have changed.

Cheers,

Aden
gotta love australia!!

Return to “General”