is this overkill

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » July 7th, 2010, 4:27 pm

bear? hell no

manpigroodoggoatfoxharesheeprabbitbeargrills? hell yes

I saw a ford louisville tipper in Katherine that was written off after cleaning up a buffalo, so cattle and buffs are out.

The more posts (vertical bars) the better protection. I have a TJM bar on my ute and if the roos play fair it copes o.k., however one could easily fit through the centre loop and take out the engine, or either of the side loops, or straight under.........

Hence the big bars. Sure, some are pure B&S overkill. But try showing up anywhere a few hundred kays west of the range in a hilux complete with chrome grill and 22's and the country boys will return the sarcasm with interest.

The angles are to deflect the animal back down and under, rather than up and over.

I believe tuff/herd bars etc are adr approved and airbag compliant.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » July 7th, 2010, 5:31 pm

My Dad had one very similar to this one fitted to our 80 series. The only difference is another rail running through below the main lights.
He also has the side rails and some solid side steps.
That rail down the bottom has picked up many a roo and sent it flying, much better than having it smash the steering!
I had an ARB bar fitted to my 4runner when a camry pulled out in front of me. Thanks to the awesome approach angle the stupid car slid under and completely destroyed my IFS and wrote the car off :(

I think the bar being discussed is overkill but you can get others that do protect and still look ok. And yes approach angle is useful to some but other times those rails save a lot of pain.

Cheers
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

dazzy170
Been here a while

Unread post by dazzy170 » July 7th, 2010, 9:14 pm

put something on the bonnet cos roos can jump lol i like it but yeh if you go off raod it will be a big plow lol but if you just want it to prepere eagle food then thats what you want

Mitcon
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mitcon » July 10th, 2010, 4:44 pm

ack, my god and I thought my ute was ugly lmao. That bar isn;t just over-kill it'd ruin any good 4by, look at what it'd do for your approach angle. You could have trouble just getting into some driveways lol.
Cheers Wayne

dgms
Here and there

Unread post by dgms » July 10th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Whilst most suburbanites use their 4wd is for running around the city with occasional trips throughout the year in the bush or on the beach, most rural people in the flat country use thier 4wds for working the land and/or running to and from small country towns, with occasional trips into the larger towns or cities now and again.

Most country folk do not worry about fashion statements, approach angles, or the opinion of city dwellers who have no idea in this regard. Their 4wd wagon, car or ute is a tool that needs to cover big distances on dirt, gravel and bitumen roads at high speeds and regularly enough at dawn/dusk/night. Roos, hogs, foxes, goats, dogs, bush chooks, livestock, galahs/cockies etc can be problem when you live in remote areas.

Some here may wish to label them B&S bars... whatever you want to call them, they serve a purpose for some.

An ARB/TJM type bar does not provide the extent of protection that these "B&S" bars do in these circumstances. If I lived west of the great divide and serious 4wding wasn't on the agenda, I wouldn't hesitate fitting one of these bars to the family vehicle or the work ute.

rodw
Avid Poster

Unread post by rodw » July 10th, 2010, 10:20 pm

dgms wrote:Whilst most suburbanites use their 4wd is for running around the city with occasional trips throughout the year in the bush or on the beach, most rural people in the flat country use thier 4wds for working the land and/or running to and from small country towns, with occasional trips into the larger towns or cities now and again.

Most country folk do not worry about fashion statements, approach angles, or the opinion of city dwellers who have no idea in this regard. Their 4wd wagon, car or ute is a tool that needs to cover big distances on dirt, gravel and bitumen roads at high speeds and regularly enough at dawn/dusk/night. Roos, hogs, foxes, goats, dogs, bush chooks, livestock, galahs/cockies etc can be problem when you live in remote areas.

Some here may wish to label them B&S bars... whatever you want to call them, they serve a purpose for some.

An ARB/TJM type bar does not provide the extent of protection that these "B&S" bars do in these circumstances. If I lived west of the great divide and serious 4wding wasn't on the agenda, I wouldn't hesitate fitting one of these bars to the family vehicle or the work ute.

X2 - it is nice to know there are a few people on the forum who actually understand the conditions for which such bars are designed; even if we are in the minority.

Whilst not a bar I would use today, it certainly ticks a lot of boxes I needed in a past life... back then, a good lean forward and a pig bar were essential design items.

Unles you have busted at least a couple of windscreens from roo strikes and driven for miles at night never getting into top gear due to mobs of roos all the way, or seen people shorten the chassis by 4" after hitting a pig, you really can't appreciate why some people need equipment like this.

It is all about being able to get home with the steering, lights and radiator intact as being stranded could well become a matter of life or death. This is serious stuff. A friend of mine once lay stranded on the side of the road for 5 days with a compound fracture of the leg before help arrived. Two other friends died in the interim.
RodW
2007 Hilux Turbo Diesel Dual Cab
Buildup:Rod's Rig Buildup Thread
Vehicle Modificatons Network

REDLINE888
Been here a while

Unread post by REDLINE888 » July 13th, 2010, 11:09 am

beastmaster63 wrote:ooooooohh wwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooowwwwwwwwww

look honey a $40k bull bar and they even throw in a new ute :truck: To carry it, and on the weekends i can go grading me mates driveway with it and clear felling the forests n all :crazy:

yeeeeee haaaawwwww!

b&s here we come giddy up:drink:

yup just a little over kill lololool:p

lol
2Gen XJ Jeep 3" lift 33s and one crazy driver.http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/sho ... p?t=107395

reaper01
I'm new, be nice!

bullbar

Unread post by reaper01 » July 14th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Hey mate, we do alot of travling up and down the valley for work and have smashed a lot of roos and written of cars that have been fitted with arb and tjm bullbars and so on. At the end of the day something will allways bend and break.
Do what you have to, to protect you car and your life,

madd lux
Been here a while

Unread post by madd lux » July 14th, 2010, 6:10 pm

bxoffrdr wrote:Why do people on this forum have to make others feel like dickheads for asking a simple question? Either you like it or you dont, sure give him some other ideas, but making him look like a dickhead because he likes something different from you guys is a ***** go. Just my 2 cents worth

i agree.

i wouldnt buy one cause i dont need one but theres nothing wrong with it for him

BigO
Here and there

Unread post by BigO » July 16th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Ive only ever seen a stronger bar on a bull catcher. I drove 79 series turbo utes on a big cattle station in the terrory. They were about that robust at the front, stood an extra 6 inches out. But had 3 side rails down the sides, A bar that went underneath the car infront of the tranny, to clobber stumps and logs, and a bar over the top just behind the bonnet, designed to clobber anything before it would hit the wind screen (in theory). And did tehy need all this protection... Absolutly.

Black Bull

Unread post by Black Bull » July 16th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Last year when I was out there it wasn't roos that concerned me, it was bloody Emu's. on a smaller ute like that no bull bar is going to stop old man Emu coming through your windscreen.

As to the bar itself, yes...no...maybe horses for courses, My bar isn't legal under the new rules but because it's pre-existing I can keep it. I can tell you right now, any New bar that leans forward from the bumper line isn't legal under the new Pedestrian saftey ADR's that came out last year and anybody who says otherwise is asking for trouble.
Also, the side/brush bars, for the bar to be airbag compliant they have to allow the front of the vehicle to crumple as per it's original design.
In the first two pictures on this thread and the ones of the Prado there is clearly and area where there is a "shear" bolt in the side rail there to allow the bar to comprss in the event of an accident.

My point, doesn't matter how big the bar, a big hit at 100kph+ with a 200KG plus pig or a big western Red roo will still write off your vehicle as the chassis will crumple with any "Legal" bull bar

So doesn't really matter what you use.....either way ole skippy, mr piggy and Mr Plod still have you rooted one way or the other

el_freddo
Here and there

Re: is this overkill

Unread post by el_freddo » September 11th, 2010, 2:32 pm

After having read every post in this thread, I must say that there are quite a few suburbianites commenting on their perceptions of this 5 poster. There's also the gross generalisation about this bar being a B'n'S fashion statement. This is interesting as the last time I went to a B'n'S it was designed for country folk to come together for a massive shin-dig - 5 poster weilding utes and all!

As for the fella's needs in the area he lives, I'm sure the local copper won't be harrassing him - mr plod in these areas are usually part of the community where everyone knows everyone, they understand the local needs of the community and will most likely turn a blind eye to some pen pushing bureaucrat's great ideas on blanket banning of things such as oversized bullbars. In suburbia they have no place, I agree with that - but last time I looked at a map Broken Hill was no where near anything that could be described as suburbia.

As we all know with our modified 4wd's - we build them for a purpose and drive them accordingly. As Robw has said, if its ADR compliant and what you want, go for it. It might be fugly but it could also be said that a good rig without this bar looks fugly (not to mention the occupants) after its hit a big roo.

I only live about 1hr & a 1/2 from melbourne, our roos are relatively small here, but I know that they can come from anywhere at anytime. I've not got a big 4wd rig or a solid steel bar, but I also don't need one - my wrap over alloy job has deflected a wallaby once at 100km/h and lived to tell the tale. I'd love a full bar but can't justify the price.

As for weight over the front end, I'd rather the extra maintenance over time than have a written off vehicle on the first long distance trip between towns/stations.

Anyway, how many avalons will you see out there? None unless its a tourist from another area, no one drives these vehicles long distances between towns - that's when you take the big rig.

I'll end my rant here, but I can see where your coming from and what you're trying to do to safe guard your investment in a new vehicle. If you're insurance company doesn't have an issue with it I don't see why you wouldn't go for it.

Cheers

Bennie

Black Bull

Unread post by Black Bull » September 11th, 2010, 9:20 pm

IF I was living out west of Charters Towers again or West of Cobar I'd have one. the lower section is to stop you running over Wombats, if you've ever hit one...it's not good !!!
The idea of the forward swept top section is to stop the Roo going over the top of the bar and into your windscreen.

I was mabye 10 years old when My Dad hit a Western Grey Roo in his Dunny door, only frontal damage was the grill and bonnet, the windscreen and roof took most of it. had it had a hopper stopper on it the car most likely would have been saved and we wouldn't have been stuck out in the middle of F&$*ing nowhere west of Hugenden in the middle of the night with a Busted screen and Dad with a broken Wrist

Dave_STR
Banned

Unread post by Dave_STR » October 1st, 2010, 1:28 pm

Jeez this forum has some know it alls.

For Gods sake, ARB is not the bee's knee's. Comments like a ARB bar would be stronger ? How can you say that without doing some testing.

Its this guys car, not mine or yours.

I am assuming this bloke has never been back here after reading all the "Experts" comments.

Oh and for venturing off the tar you will need a live axle in the front. :rolleyes:

By the way the bar is built for a reason, just like every other vehicle on the road.

Dave.

Smash_n_machine
Avid Poster

Unread post by Smash_n_machine » October 2nd, 2010, 6:53 pm

no it isnt an overkill bit of a underkill if anything lol no its just right love it i live 40 mins from toowoomba and i agree u need a bar liek that around here might look up that mob that built it myself

love that 5 post prison fence

Return to “General”