View topic - Aussie locker vs 4wd systems lokka

Aussie locker vs 4wd systems lokka

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
Been here a while

Aussie locker vs 4wd systems lokka

I want to put a locker in the front of my frontera but dont know which one. I am looking at a auto locker. I was reading about the aussie locker and people that have them say that they are a very good locker, but i have to get them from the states. I guess that the 4wd systems one would be the same as they look the same . So there is the question which one do you think i should buy and how do they go up against each other?

Cheers loppa

Unread postby loppa » July 31st, 2008, 6:00 pm

Been here a while

I'm pretty sure they are the same thing just a different name. Mate has one in the front of his jackaroo and im putting one in my deo next week. I think it works out cheaper to get the one from the USA but I'm just getting the 4WD Systems one.

Unread postby TUFFRA » July 31st, 2008, 9:22 pm

Avid Poster

Just be prepared for when you break your cv,s. It is insane how much these lockers help but your cv,s will become very vunreble to breakage.

Unread postby DIRTYJACK » August 4th, 2008, 9:18 am

Need to get out more

DIRTYJACK wrote:Just be prepared for when you break your cv,s. It is insane how much these lockers help but your cv,s will become very vunreble to breakage.

Really? In 5 years of wheeling with one I broke 2 CVs one was due to the rims having the incorrect offset and the tyre binding on the control arm causing the CV to break. Hardly the fault of the auto locker. The second was climbing the small rock wall in cruiser Canyon at LCMP. I panicked as the car rolled back and punched the throttle 35s, a V8 and too much right boot and it went bang. Again hard to blame the locker ;)

The vehicle my old locker is in now has never done a CV as have the numerous ones I have installed in mates rigs. Like anything if you drive to the conditions and account for the weaker components of your car you will rarely have a problem, imo anyway ;)

To the original poster, the cheaper auto lockers are all pretty similiar and hardly worth worrying about what brand is better. I went the 4wd Systems one as it came with a 3 year warranty and at the time the Aussie dollar wasnt as strong as it is now. Just buy the one you find easiest to get or chase the best price and good luck with it all.
Tourer and DD: 120 Prado with some mods

Unread postby boof » August 4th, 2008, 9:32 am

Been here a while

Thanks guys think im just going to buy the 4wd systems lokka, and with breaking cv's i have been told that your driving stuff so much easier with the lokka that you dont need so much right boot then you shouldn't break anything.

Unread postby loppa » August 4th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Part of the furniture

Thats it, just drive to/for the conditions & you shouldn't have any probs.:thumb: :truck:
1996 3.9 V8 Disco 1, pretty stock so far

Unread postby steelo » August 18th, 2008, 9:41 am

Been here a while

Too hard to get them from the us as they say there market is too strong they cant make enough to sen to AUSTRAILIA WHICH SUCK BIG TIME because i was going to buy some for my landcruiser
www.allaussie4x4.com
who rules nissan or toyota
i have both:)

Unread postby thebludger » August 22nd, 2008, 10:08 am

Part of the furniture

If I remember rightly, they (Aussie Lockers) are the "Lokka" diffs from here in Oz (Adelaide), according to a US forum (Ford Explorer forum). They're very popular over there & was told by quite a few that they are made in Australia (can't understand the price difference though) & they swear by them, specially as front "Lokka's".:truck: :D
1996 3.9 V8 Disco 1, pretty stock so far

Unread postby steelo » August 25th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Here and there

DIRTYJACK wrote:Just be prepared for when you break your cv,s. It is insane how much these lockers help but your cv,s will become very vunreble to breakage.

Usually the damage is done to your cv's by pushing your 4by too hard before you get a locker. When you get a locker it allows you to drive more torque through cv's breaking fractures that were already there.

LOPPA: Most of them are all a copy of each other. Main brands are Richmond (Lock Right), Powertrax (Lock Rite) and Lokka (4WD systems Adeleide, Lokka).
If you are going to put one in yourself I think locktup4x4.com.au sell powertrax for about $430 delivered.
If you are going to get some1 to do it should be around $800 and that way you can claim warranty through them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Dan

Unread postby dans03lux » August 25th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Avid Poster

dans03lux wrote:Usually the damage is done to your cv's by pushing your 4by too hard before you get a locker. When you get a locker it allows you to drive more torque through cv's breaking fractures that were already there.

LOPPA: Most of them are all a copy of each other. Main brands are Richmond (Lock Right), Powertrax (Lock Rite) and Lokka (4WD systems Adeleide, Lokka).
If you are going to put one in yourself I think locktup4x4.com.au sell powertrax for about $430 delivered.
If you are going to get some1 to do it should be around $800 and that way you can claim warranty through them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Dan

$800 to put a locker in. that place is kidding them self's.

aaron.

Unread postby money_killer » August 25th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Here and there

money_killer wrote:$800 to put a locker in. that place is kidding them self's.

aaron.

$800 includes the price of the locker, installation and resetting backlash.
Not the worlds biggest bargain but I think a reasonable price.

Cheers Dan

Unread postby dans03lux » August 27th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Avid Poster

dans03lux wrote:$800 includes the price of the locker, installation and resetting backlash.
Not the worlds biggest bargain but I think a reasonable price.

Cheers Dan

well thats ok then in that case it is cheap i have been quoted 500/600 to fit that includes new seal etc.

Unread postby money_killer » August 28th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Been here a while

I got a 4WD systems Lokka and I love it, I have broken 3 cvs though, all 2nd hand ones , Just put brand new ones in and fingers crossed

I dont blame the lokka, I blame my 37's, 3" wheel spacers and my right boot...

Unread postby RockyV » August 28th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Im confused- so am i to understand the Aussie Locker thats built in Australia is only available from USA? that doesnt make sense? and if its built in USA why call it an Aussie Locker?

I want to get an auto locker for the Front as a Manual locker does affect steering and you have to turn it on and off a bit depending on terrain and what your doing. An Auto locker still Differentiates too, a Manual locker does not.
I have a Detroit TrueTrac in the Front now, its good but does break free if a wheel looses too much traction or a wheel lifts off the ground.
I have Manual Hubs so i might as well go for an Auto Locker over Manual type in the Front but which one???

I have a Detroit Locker in the rear but im getting rid of it as it affects on road driving greatly i find. I'll be putting an ARB in the Rear.

Unread postby MALS-JK » June 18th, 2009, 10:20 am

I just ordered the LOKKA from 4wd Systems. Oddly enough the salesman (we will call him Dave) couldn't tell me where they are made??(funny since there the only distributer, must be a trade secret?) but at least they are Australian made. The Aussie locker he didnt know anything about, whether they are the same different or made by the same manufacturer? what i have heard from Aussie Locker is that they have a patented design which gives them a different Pin set up, or something? suppose to be stronger in that area. But Dave from 4wd Systems said any pin breakage was from improper instillation and theres are fine.

Anyone out there have a definitive answer on this! Aussie v LOKKA who makes em?

Unread postby MALS-JK » June 18th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Next

Return to General