Kia Sportage Spark plug change

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
Ironworker
Here and there

Kia Sportage Spark plug change

Unread post by Ironworker » November 24th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Help is needed concerning a spark plug change on the 2001 Kia sportage.
I have been told that it is common for the plugs/leads to fail on these vehicles
resulting in poor running; rough idleing; backfiring through the inlet manifold;
sluggish behaviour etc etc
It was suggested to " just change the plugs" the next trick is to find them!!
Apparently they are buried deep within the "V" of the twin cam valley under the plastic cover that sits beneath the aluminium air intake tube that crosses the top of the motor underneath the plastic shroud that encases everything!!
has anyone done this and what is involved or is it one of those jobs best left to the Pro's

Thanks in Advance

Stuart
1999 Jackaroo
Long range tank with suspension mods to suit
2001 Kia Sportage ( for the wife)
Hey at least it has two gear sticks !!

Pajo

Unread post by Pajo » November 25th, 2007, 1:52 pm

They must be the same as the pajero then, mine are in the vally to and yep you have to take all that stuff off to get at them.
I have them done by the pro's but i get platnium plugs last about 100,000 k's a little bit more expensive but don't have to be done as often
A HOUSE IS A MANS CASTLE..............WHEN THE WIFE IS OUT.

Ironworker
Here and there

Unread post by Ironworker » November 25th, 2007, 2:19 pm

Apparently the motor is sourced from Mazda what model I dont know if any one can help it woud be good
1999 Jackaroo
Long range tank with suspension mods to suit
2001 Kia Sportage ( for the wife)
Hey at least it has two gear sticks !!

4runnernomore
Been here a while

Unread post by 4runnernomore » November 26th, 2007, 7:06 pm

Gday,

If yoou go to thge following site in America
4x4Wire.com's TrailTalk Forums: Viewing forum: Kia Sportage & Sorento Tech

They have a massive wealth of knowledge including a detailed description on how to change the plugs amongst other things.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Chris

kiapete
Here and there

Unread post by kiapete » December 22nd, 2009, 4:58 pm

Ironworker wrote:Apparently the motor is sourced from Mazda what model I dont know if any one can help it woud be good
Yep, the FE motor was produced under licence from Mazda.

Apart from the Kia, the same design also saw service in Kiwi 626's (not OZ), and the South African Ford Laser.

kiapete
Here and there

Unread post by kiapete » December 22nd, 2009, 5:03 pm

If you do decide to do the plugs yourself there are two VERY important points to consider:

(1) Change them when the engine is stone cold, otherwise you're likely to strip the thread. The heads are a soft alloy.

(2) Apply some form of anti-seize to the thread. This makes removal next time that little less risky (and easier).

kiapete
Here and there

Unread post by kiapete » January 8th, 2010, 11:51 pm

...and get yourself some Bosch Platinum Ir-Fusions.

They'll last you 100,000 k's.

Remember to apply some anti-seize to the thread!

The part number is F1-4 (comes as a blister pack of 4).

SportageJarrod
Here and there

Unread post by SportageJarrod » January 9th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Is there a benefit in the premium "Platinium" plugs?
Kia Sportage- 29" BFG Mud Terrains, 2" King Spring Lift, Wildcat Exrtractors, Steel Catalic Converter, 2" Exhaust Cat back, K&N Air Filter, Waeco Fridge, Camel Camper Trailer. :thumb:

kiapete
Here and there

Unread post by kiapete » January 9th, 2010, 3:20 pm

SportageJarrod wrote:Is there a benefit in the premium "Platinum" plugs?
The premium "fusion" platinum (over the "standard" platinum) have four Yttrium enhanced ground electrodes (versus a single non-Yttrium enhanced electrode). Having 4 ground electrodes results in better performance, better ignitability, and a reduction in required voltage - meaning more consistent starting in hot and cold weather.

Additionally the centre electrode is heat fused Platinum and Iridium (hence the name "fusion"), as opposed to the "straight" platinum of the "lesser" plug. Apparently this results in a more powerful spark.

The MAIN reason to go for these though is the 100,000 km service life!

cmar
Avid Poster

Re: Kia Sportage Spark plug change

Unread post by cmar » January 20th, 2011, 10:32 pm

It's not that hard to do but you will need a few things. You will need a medium length extension bar for your spark plug socket. The plugs are a long way down in there. You will need to remove the intake pipe (mind the gasket), you will also need to undo and push back the throttle cable bracket. Unbolt the plastic covers and there are your plugs. You may or may not need to replace the two spark plug leads, (they are quite cheap, even genuine) as they tend to stick to the plug. The other two plugs run directly on the coils (which are NOT cheap). I would also consider replacing the two low tension leads as they are also quite cheap, and a source of problems as the plastic gets very brittle with heat and age. You definately must use antisieze on the new plugs, you will see why when you take out the old ones. I found a bit of fuel hose pushed onto a new plug easier to wind it in with, than using the spark plug socket as you cannot actually see what you are doing and it is easy to cross thread them. Then just use the socket and ratchet handle to nip them up. Also do not be surprised if the number 4 plug is covered in oil. It is VERY common for the cam cover gasket to leak internally and as the engine slopes slightly back most of the oil ends up in number 4. Eventually it will get bad enough that you will have to change the gasket, once again it isn't hard just fiddly.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Return to “General”