Diesel Contamination ?

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
arcticwolf
Here and there

Unread post by arcticwolf » September 19th, 2007, 8:58 pm

I have got the bill down to $3586 and picked up my truck this afternoon after 14 days of lengthy phone calls etc. Now I have to concetrate on getting this all into court with the ACCC and fairtrading. It is for sure their mechanics don't have a clue about these engines.

Marc 1
Need to get out more

Unread post by Marc 1 » September 19th, 2007, 11:25 pm

OM617isbest wrote:I've never come across bad diesel and I go through 200-300 litres a day in my truck and some of it goes in the car. Something wrong with mazda.

Something must be wrong with the Nissan 4.2 diesel in the GQ utes too then. Crap fuel is a reality - father in law had to shell out $2.5k ish to westend diesel to rebuild the pump and injectors after getting a load of bad diesel about a year or so ago.

Marc 1
Need to get out more

Unread post by Marc 1 » September 19th, 2007, 11:29 pm

Arctic where did you get fuel? Was it at large servo's, independents? Same place everytime? Do you buy the cheapest you find? Do you stick to one brand?

Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » September 20th, 2007, 5:47 am

I don't know about anyone else but I get around a bit and fill up when I need to at the cheapest place. I put ATF in the tank sometimes as it contains zinc which is a good lubricant. About 300ml to 40l.
[font=Arial Black][font=Book Antiqua]LJ78 Landcruiser II now locked and loaded.
[url]http://www.dieselworkhorseauto.com.au/index.php[/url][/font][/font]

arcticwolf
Here and there

Unread post by arcticwolf » September 20th, 2007, 7:32 am

I had only filled at 2 servo's one was the caltex/woollies at Nerang and the other was the freedom on brisbane road at helensvale on the Gold Coast. The freedom turns out to be a inderpendent with freedom signage ,but they are newish servo's. I don't fuel in Canungra as the tank are at least 40 yrs old.

Marc 1
Need to get out more

Unread post by Marc 1 » September 20th, 2007, 12:13 pm

arcticwolf wrote:I had only filled at 2 servo's one was the caltex/woollies at Nerang and the other was the freedom on brisbane road at helensvale on the Gold Coast. The freedom turns out to be a inderpendent with freedom signage ,but they are newish servo's. I don't fuel in Canungra as the tank are at least 40 yrs old.

Thanks for answering. I won't say what's on my mind, that can get you slapped.

oul053
Been here a while

Unread post by oul053 » September 20th, 2007, 5:43 pm

fuel comes the same place they dont send ***** stuff to independant servos cos then it will come back on the company that they use. u may find tho that u filled up when the tank had either just been filled up or was nearly empty so u got alot of sediment and ***** in your fuel. I have never and will never fill up when i see a fuel truck at or leaving a servo for this very reason.
'00' challenger, front and rear lockers, cargo barrier, long range fuel tank, arb bullbar, OME suspension, awning, UHF, 285/75-16s dick cepik fcII's, narva 225s and Lightforce 170's

Marc 1
Need to get out more

Unread post by Marc 1 » September 20th, 2007, 10:08 pm

oul053 wrote:fuel comes the same place they dont send ***** stuff to independant servos cos then it will come back on the company that they use. u may find tho that u filled up when the tank had either just been filled up or was nearly empty so u got alot of sediment and ***** in your fuel. I have never and will never fill up when i see a fuel truck at or leaving a servo for this very reason.

Who says all the stuff that goes into a servo's tanks comes from the same refinery? Which government agency monitors the fuel from the refinery into the servo's tanks?

About 5 yrs ago there were bucketloads of servo's in Sydney cutting down their fuel with excise exempt stuff like kero, heating oils etc. The fuel they topped up the tanks with probably came from the same refinery though. You are naive to believe that the only stuff that some independent operators tanks comes from the refinery. I feel sorry for the independent operators that are doing the right thing, but there has been too much evidence of this fuel tampering for me to go anywhere else than a large company owned outlet.

sudso
Need to get out more

Unread post by sudso » September 21st, 2007, 1:59 am

voids wrote:i always get into the habbit of keeping my recipts for fuel, 6 months ago at our servo somone didnt close up the undergroung tanks one night while checking the diesel level and rain water got into the tank, i think there was about a dozen vehicles with water in the diesel one rand rover had to have the injectors and injector pump replaced to my knolage, all at the servo's expence. my point is maybe not relevent in this scenario, but if you purchase diesel and it happens to damage your car because it was contaminated the seller of the fuel should be held accountable for not selling you and adaquate product.
If you can prove they sold you a faulty product which caused damage to your property you can sue the barstards for damages, they have product liabilty insurance.
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

oul053
Been here a while

Unread post by oul053 » September 22nd, 2007, 8:52 am

there are only like 3 fuel refinery's we all get fuel from one of them, like sudso said u just have to prove that they sold u bad fuel. some places will put ethenol and kero in fuel but u just have to prove that they did it. u cant stop people from doing dogy stuff to make a bit more cash tho, u just gotta catch them.
'00' challenger, front and rear lockers, cargo barrier, long range fuel tank, arb bullbar, OME suspension, awning, UHF, 285/75-16s dick cepik fcII's, narva 225s and Lightforce 170's

Marc 1
Need to get out more

Unread post by Marc 1 » September 22nd, 2007, 12:05 pm

oul053 wrote:there are only like 3 fuel refinery's we all get fuel from one of them, like sudso said u just have to prove that they sold u bad fuel. some places will put ethenol and kero in fuel but u just have to prove that they did it. u cant stop people from doing dogy stuff to make a bit more cash tho, u just gotta catch them.

Not just three, one of the major chains was importing shiploads of refined fuel from Singapore at a cheaper rate than they could get ex refinery here in Oz. I may have been better fuel than that produced locally. The point I'm making is that even if fuel only came from the 3 aussie refinery's there doesn't seem to be any rigourously enfored guarantee of quality at the bowser.

Most people use more than one petrol station, their vehicle's fuel tanks are not sealed with tamper proof seals in between each fill. Fuel station owners can (correctly) claim that their may have been sediment in the bottom of a tank and that you ran it dry etc. Seeing as your vehicle is virtually brand new you have a better case than most, but there's still a lot of 'wriggle room' for the servo owners to say "it wasn't me".

As I stated a while back, if you had a tamper proof sample that was signed and sealed at the servo it would force the servo's to ensure that the stuff they sell and the tanks they store it in were in tip top condition. Clearly someone has sold you fuel that has damaged your vehicle. That's as bogus as buggery, but clearly the servo owners think they can get away with it or they wouldn't be selling the rubbish (intentionally or otherwise).

dragn88
Here and there

Unread post by dragn88 » September 22nd, 2007, 8:51 pm

Arctic, make sure you get the injectors back and ask for the contamination they found. If you send it to the fuel company they will analyse for you. Its not uncommon for fuel companies to pay for these types of repairs. They don't advertise it but if a complaint is made and you can prove you bought the fuel from them they may pay to keep you quiet.

Find out who the servo's buy there diesel from and don't mention to them your alrady talking about it on a forum, this may go against you as they may think the damage is already done and they wont be keen to advertise that they payed.

Good luck
Dragn88
BeasT50

arcticwolf
Here and there

Unread post by arcticwolf » October 3rd, 2007, 8:35 am

My question is ? I wrote to the editor about this problem / fact that they drove one of these to the Alice and didn't pick up dirty fuel and to this date have no responce

dragn88
Here and there

Unread post by dragn88 » October 3rd, 2007, 5:47 pm

Arctic, i spoke to a mate during the week who reported fuel contamination to an(oil company) for another one of his mates, and they sent arround a courier to pick up a sample of the fuel. In this case the guy had to admit he had put the fuel into a jerry and thats where the contamination came from, but he was happy with the response from the company. Don't spose you have any of the fuel?
Dragn88
BeasT50

arcticwolf
Here and there

Unread post by arcticwolf » October 9th, 2007, 3:31 pm

yes I have about 250 ml and it came straight out of the pump into the bt50 so I have that . It is like mating elephants at the moment (A lot of noise but not a lot happening ) I am trying to get it covered by insurance and that seems to be taking forever. Just got phone call , fuel test results on their way .

Return to “General”