Diesel Contamination ?

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
arcticwolf
Here and there

Diesel Contamination ?

Unread post by arcticwolf » September 17th, 2007, 7:19 pm

This is the start of what I hope to be some legal action by numbers. I have just been given the news by mazda that the $5,269.25 damage to a bt50 engine was from contaminatied fuel and is not covered under warranty. This engine has only done 3944 ks. What we need is numbers,dates ,exactfaults and costs to any make or model ,mostly with a common rail injection system. If the fuel is the problem then we need to target the fuel companies or is the common rail tolerances too fine for our fuel. please lets get the ball rolling as to my knowledge there are a lot with large repair bills and I have only been looking for 3 days.

miyata610
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by miyata610 » September 18th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Could you elaborate on the damage, how the contaminated fuel caused the damage, and what was the contamination?

If Mazda are arguing this case then they must be able to answer these questions for you.

Have you contacted a solicitor or possibly one of the industry groups for advice?

You may need to have the damage assessed by an independent expert before letting Mazda do anything.

I am sure many people on this forum are keen to hear more.

Phil.

oul053
Been here a while

Unread post by oul053 » September 18th, 2007, 5:58 pm

did u put bio diesel in it?? u will find the owners manual that u cannot use this 'fuel' in common rail diesels, if u did put that in good luck getting warrenty. if its just 'dirty' diesel take a sample and get it tested. the bio diesel will ruin injector pumps ( and injectors etc) in a few hundred kms if its not meant for that engine.
'00' challenger, front and rear lockers, cargo barrier, long range fuel tank, arb bullbar, OME suspension, awning, UHF, 285/75-16s dick cepik fcII's, narva 225s and Lightforce 170's

mimmo_gsr
Been here a while

Unread post by mimmo_gsr » September 18th, 2007, 7:17 pm

What about Bio20, its sold by a reputable servo chain and has 20% bio and 80% dino diesel.

I too would like to know more about the damage as I have a Ranger.

Mimmo

arcticwolf
Here and there

not bio diesel

Unread post by arcticwolf » September 18th, 2007, 7:18 pm

No I sadly do not have that much faith in bio diesel yet. I have got Mazda to send one of the injectors to South Coast diesel and the report came back as contamination of a unknown substance inside the injector. They have no intension of honouring the warranty on the vechile.After speaking to 2 diesel repair people this is a huge problem with engines with common rail injection. This is something that is not in the advertising .It would seem there are a lot of people out there with huge bills for repairs:cry: including me,so far we are at a stand off and a phone call to insurance company it is not classed as accidental damage.

voids
Been here a while

Unread post by voids » September 18th, 2007, 10:56 pm

i always get into the habbit of keeping my recipts for fuel, 6 months ago at our servo somone didnt close up the undergroung tanks one night while checking the diesel level and rain water got into the tank, i think there was about a dozen vehicles with water in the diesel one rand rover had to have the injectors and injector pump replaced to my knolage, all at the servo's expence. my point is maybe not relevent in this scenario, but if you purchase diesel and it happens to damage your car because it was contaminated the seller of the fuel should be held accountable for not selling you and adaquate product.
08 Patrol Wagon with lots of goodies 230,000kms of ZD30 CRD reliability

Rocky Road
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Rocky Road » September 19th, 2007, 12:33 am

What about the fuel filters on the car itself? Surely some blame must lie there too.

I was once told by a diesel mechanic to fit extra filters on any common rail diesel, AND, as soon as they run out of warranty, to sell them! Looks like the warranty is not worth much either!
Any water in the fuel is a killer of common rails.

Really sorry to hear of your predicament.

miyata610
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by miyata610 » September 19th, 2007, 6:17 am

I still don't get this.

If it was a particulate contamination, then surely the filter is at least partly to blame and Mazda supplied the filter. Ditto water.

How much does an injector cost? The labour cost can't be huge if it's only injectors. Was there any other damage? Pumps? Sensors?

This doesn't fully make sense.

Is it April 1?

arcticwolf
Here and there

outline of problem

Unread post by arcticwolf » September 19th, 2007, 8:16 am

No water was found in the tank or filter just sediment. That is my argument that the filter should block and stop the engine. investigation then finds no fuel change filter and go home and clean the tank and line s pre filter problem prevented. The vechile has only been filled about 6-7 times (3944ks) but all my reciepts are in the console and its at the dealer that wants $5269.25 to release it.They took 28 hours to find the problem and say they are being fair at only charging for 16 at $1440. This mechanic is supposed to be trained on bt50 engines. The fight has only just begun as I will be taking Mazda Aust to the ACCC, Phone conversation with them said that they have breached the trade practices act by selling and unmerchantable vechile. more to come :)

fullmetaljacket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by fullmetaljacket » September 19th, 2007, 1:12 pm

arcticwolf wrote:I have got Mazda to send one of the injectors to South Coast diesel and the report came back as contamination of a unknown substance inside the injector.

sounds a bit suss to me, its the year 2007 there are not too many minerals etc that are as yet undiscovered.......did Mazda tell you it was an unknown substance or did you talk directly to South Coast Diesel....if not may be worth a shot incase Mazda are trying to pull one over

hope you get the matter resolved with as little coin out of your pocket as possable
78 BJ40, 4" lift, 33's
82 HJ60, 4.5" lift, 33's
09 ML Triton GLXR, 3.5" lift, 32's

arcticwolf
Here and there

Unread post by arcticwolf » September 19th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Yes I rang and got it straight from the horses mouth, by saying unknown they are covering their arse incase somone says it is dust and they say it is dirt.They will only put a finger on it after a fuel sample is tested by a lab

miyata610
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by miyata610 » September 19th, 2007, 1:19 pm

I'm glad you plan to take action.

I hope you succeed... it sounds like you will.

Have you spoken to Mazda directly? It sounds like the dealer may be a little dodgy... how can it take 28 hours to find what should be a simple to diagnose problem? There are only three things a diesel needs to run.... air, compression and fuel. They would have checked the fuel pressure on the rail straight off, so that just leaves the injectors. Duh.

Try the Motor Traders Association, or similar trade body. I know they help people pursue dodgy repairers.

Also... $950 per injector seems a bit steep.

Good luck, and keep us all informed.

steelo
Part of the furniture

Unread post by steelo » September 19th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Try Fair Trading also, good luck!:D
1999 WJ Grand Cherokee Laredo Jeep - no mods as yet but.......

oul053
Been here a while

Unread post by oul053 » September 19th, 2007, 5:39 pm

28 hrs seems a bit rough but the price for an injector sounds about right, they are very expensive the new ones because of such high tolerances and its was probably those tolerances being to tight that the fuel system shat itself. do u know if the pre filter and fuel filters r blocked or full of crap? good luck with outcome.
'00' challenger, front and rear lockers, cargo barrier, long range fuel tank, arb bullbar, OME suspension, awning, UHF, 285/75-16s dick cepik fcII's, narva 225s and Lightforce 170's

Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » September 19th, 2007, 6:52 pm

I've never come across bad diesel and I go through 200-300 litres a day in my truck and some of it goes in the car. Something wrong with mazda.
[font=Arial Black][font=Book Antiqua]LJ78 Landcruiser II now locked and loaded.
[url]http://www.dieselworkhorseauto.com.au/index.php[/url][/font][/font]

Return to “General”