Mongrel Forester???

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
Roadwarrior
Avid Poster

Mongrel Forester???

Unread post by Roadwarrior » August 3rd, 2011, 8:26 pm

Hi Guys
Just thought I'd dive into this neck of the woods as my wifes car is a 1999 Forester with the EJ20 2.0 litre engine. When we took it to the local machanic to have the timing belt replaced he discovered that the engine is actually a Liberty engine. They are the same except with a few minor differences. He had to reorder all the bits for a Liberty instead.
It is the original engine and the only thing we can think of is they must have run out of Forester engines on the assembly line.
Has anyone else discovered this in their Forester? The build date is July 99.

JDs
Avid Poster

Re: Mongrel Forester???

Unread post by JDs » August 3rd, 2011, 10:00 pm

Well you know what "Forester Gump " said "Life is like a box of chocolates sometimes you never know what your gona get" sorry matey I never was good enuf for standup so my platform is here sometimes :crazy: Sounds weird though I wish they made a mistake like that with my Troopy I might have got a 1HDT FE instead of a 1HZ :(

pickstock
Here and there

Unread post by pickstock » August 21st, 2011, 7:41 pm

subaru engines are mostly all the same, they can pretty much be interchanged.

el_freddo
Here and there

Unread post by el_freddo » November 2nd, 2011, 9:16 pm

I don't think the engine is a liberty engine as the liberty of the time was an EJ22 - the 2.2 litre, the EJ20 or 2 litre came out after 2001. What may have happened is that someone's put the older cambelt setup on your engine, thus your mechanic has found the same parts as what's on your EJ in the liberty parts catalogue. Minor differences but also interchangeable with the correct tensioner, this is the difference between the two kits ;)

If you want to see a mongrel forester, check out this beast:

^ H6, scorpion low range (1.59:1 rather than the stock 2L foz 1.44:1), lifted, front and rear bars... awesome piece of kit!

link here to the build thread

Cheers

Bennie

Roadwarrior
Avid Poster

Unread post by Roadwarrior » December 16th, 2011, 12:20 am

No, their are other anomolies on the engine as well. The bloke down the road has the same year model but his engine is different again. Ours runs longer spark plug lead boots and his runs the shorter ones that are completely different. It caused a headach when ordering new leads as one kit won't fit the other. The ignition module is also different. The shape of the rocker covers are also different. There are two different rocker cover gaskets as ours was leaking. Guess what...wrong ones.

el_freddo
Here and there

Unread post by el_freddo » December 16th, 2011, 5:23 am

Got a couple of photos of the engine bay Road warrior? I'd be keen to see the general photo that you see on ebay that everyone takes of the engine bay - head on, and a photo from each side plus any others you might think are of interest ;)

It's a shame that you don't have the VIN of the matching subaru model as this would make buying parts super easy...

Cheers

Bennie

yarney
Here and there

Unread post by yarney » October 4th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Foresters came out with two different engines both 2.0l early ones had small rocker covers later ones came out with lager rocker covers it looks very smiler to the quad cam 2.0l motor

Jan

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » October 7th, 2013, 10:32 am

Another option, is the engine the same one it was built with? It might have been swapped later....

Return to “General”