Kia Sportage - any good offroad??

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
Hilux_Ryan
Avid Poster

Kia Sportage - any good offroad??

Unread post by Hilux_Ryan » March 9th, 2011, 11:01 pm

I'm looking at buying a small 4WD for the missus (see my thread in general fourby discussion) and after seeing this section figured mayube a Sportage isnt a bad option for what we need, just a couple of questions:

*How are they off road? I understand they have a proper low range transfer case, which is good, but how are they for clearance etc. I'm not looking to do any crazy creek crossings but our usual tracks do have some sandy dry creek beds but more importantly some washouts as the trails mostly follow water courses.

* Where are the child seat anchor points? and do they leave enough room to actually put a few things in the boot or are they close to the tailgate so two belts will take up all of the cargo area?

Any help or comments would be great, especially if I could get photos of the cargo area highlighting whwere the anchorages are :)

Oh and what kind of runing gear do they run, most Korean cars seem to be derived from soemthing else, Hyundais use Mitsubishi bits, Daewoo use GM bits, Is it true Kias use Mazda and/or Mitsubishi based parts? (engine, gearbox etc.) (there is a rumour around that Sportage LSD diff centres can be made to fit early RX-7s, which makes me think they probably use Mazda drivelines?)
My cruiser thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=145966

Sportage
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Kia Sportage - any good offroad??

Unread post by Sportage » April 7th, 2011, 9:54 pm

I have a 2001 Sportage with a 50mm Ironman lift and 235/75 R25 Wrangler MTs. This set up works well without interference on the front guards. This model also comes with limited slip diff in the rear. Yes the drive line is derived from Mazda parts. If you would ike to see more than have a look at 4x4wire forum.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » April 8th, 2011, 11:42 pm

I also have one a 1998 model, we've had for almost 10 years. It is primarily my wife's car. It had 80,000 Km on when we bought it and it now has 230,000 Km. Replacement parts have been limited to batteries, tyres, spark plugs, timing belt x2 1x O2 sensor, and one x MAF sensor. Yes the engine is a Mazda FE2 built under licence by Kia, the gearbox (mine is an auto) is an Aisin (as used by Toyota) the Transfer case and diffs are the same design as Suzuki. Generally apart from a few minor electrical gremlins it has been a good reliable little car. It is ideal for child restraints as they are on the floor close to the back of the seat and thus don't take up thew whole back with the straps. Our's doesn't have a lot of room in the back as it is the stubby model. The later ones with the longer arse had a bigger cargo area.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Hilux_Ryan
Avid Poster

Unread post by Hilux_Ryan » April 12th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I thought I was being abandoned.

I had a bit of a look at one in a caryard when I was in Adelaide for the V8s in March. It was the longer model, aand it did seem to have plenty of room for what I needed, and I agree about the child anchorages being good where they are. I also looked at a Suzuki but stopped looking as soon as I saw where they have the anchorages (near the tailgate)

Once I got back home I found there is one in the Kia dealer up here too, but I dont want to pay dealer prices, especially when I work in a caryard myself. Another bonus is I found one with what looks to be fairly new Pedders suspension all round, so now I need to find a good one for private sale.

Any idea when they went fron the stumpy bnack with external spare wheel to the longer version with I'm guessing the spare underneath??
My cruiser thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=145966

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » May 2nd, 2011, 8:52 pm

Some time in the early 2000's, they stopped making them about 2003. They started in the early 90's so the model had a fair run. The later ones had the worst of the bugs worked out. The replacement model is a mono body AWD soft roader nowhere as good sadly.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

lifted sportage
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by lifted sportage » June 23rd, 2013, 8:21 pm

i own a 97 sportage i think its very good off road been ever where in it the more i give it the more it goes i wouldnt mind lifting it more if anyone knows where i could get bigger springs than 2 inch or where i could get a kit to do a body lift let me know

4runnernomore
Been here a while

Unread post by 4runnernomore » June 29th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Up to 4inch is available.
Check out 4x4wire for more info.

also try Upyourkia for info on a 3.5-4" lift.

FYI. Am running 4" lift myself and have a 13/8 body lift still to go in.

Cheers, Chris

Return to “General”