Any other subaru 4wd owners on the board??

Subaru, Lada, Oka, etc.
el_freddo
Here and there

Any other subaru 4wd owners on the board??

Unread post by el_freddo » March 3rd, 2011, 7:40 pm

G'day all,

I relise that this may not be found by all but I'm wondering if anyone else on the forum is a subaru 4wder.

I've been canned pretty hard by a lot of "big rig" drivers which is annoying - no one takes a subaru seriously, which is also kind of an advantage. Anyway that's not the point of this post.

A bit of back ground on my ride - Ruby Scoo. She's a 1988 L series subaru thats now fitted with a 3 inch lift kit and 27 inch tyres when offroading. I'm looking at running them permenantly but have to complete a gearbox build with 4.11 ratio diffs:

I'd love to meet some new members that are active on here and 4wd their subaru ;)

I'm also a part of ausubaru.com, offroadsubarus.com, offroadingsubarus.com and now the ulitmate subaru message board that's based in the US. And I'm keen to one day find a solution for an air locker that fits the R160 rear diff then tackle the front one :D I can't see why a rear air locker can't be made for the R160 rear diff, there are super rare detroit style unlockers out there so they're strong enough for the task (weakness was one reason by a major company I've contacted as to why they won't even look at the R160 diff for an air locker)

I encourage you to post a pic of your 4wd subaru ;)

Cheers

Bennie

freakazoid
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Any other subaru 4wd owners on the board??

Unread post by freakazoid » April 30th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Hey Bennie you turn up every where...lol

Finance Dave
Avid Poster

Unread post by Finance Dave » May 15th, 2011, 11:16 pm

Hey mate,

I guess you could say I'm a party owner of a subi but it's my wife's liberty and doesn't qualify as an Offroad machine. Having said that it is a great car with great performance. I like it a lot!

Dave.
2003 GU Patrol. Dual Batts,Pyro,2" OME,Sliders, Snorkel,Winch,Lights,Roof Rack,water tank,Draws,Chip,3" Exhaust,Custom intercooler,Fuel Tanks (231L),Dyno 127.3HP,Airlocker,Bullbar,Breathers.

chadmando
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by chadmando » June 15th, 2011, 7:58 am

yay your not the olny one out there with and that loves subaru. i pick up my subaru wagon pritty soon. will post pics and mods and a story.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » June 30th, 2011, 8:15 am

Another subaru lover here. We had a B4 liberty for 9 years. Just traded it for a Tribeca. I've always had 4wd's for work utes so the subes don't get offroad, although I did take the B4 into Harry's Hut on the Noosa river one day for a squiz - got some funny comments. People just don't understand what a sube can do. The tribeca has the variable torque centre diff, traction control and 210mm clearance so theoretically should be a surprise package - just can't bring myself to get it dirty - yet.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » June 30th, 2011, 1:15 pm

Here is mine that I owned for nearly 20 years - ground clearance was better than most standard full sized 4wds. Only limitation was steep hills and lack of sticking power in the clutch even though I had a special one made - was a great car.

I had 2" body lift, 1800cc dual range to replace the standard 1600 single range, 205/14 wheels and tyres, dual throat webber, GSR cam and 2" exhaust.

taslucas
Here and there

Unread post by taslucas » July 1st, 2011, 7:24 pm

Here's a mates suby.
Just a bit of backyard fun for the back tracks around his house. The "body work" is all "9inch inspired"! Great departure angle!
The tyres are worth noting though. He used Volkswagon Pasat rims to fit the Kubota tractor tyres.
The thing goes places!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

coopa1
Getting to know the place

Unread post by coopa1 » July 2nd, 2011, 10:28 pm

I used to be into subarus, still miss my last brumby. Now drive a GU 4,2 patrol. Suby was just to small when the kids came along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

taslucas
Here and there

Unread post by taslucas » July 4th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Heres another mates Suby Mud runner.
Not sure if you can still call it a subaru but it has certainly dealt with the clearance issues!
Brumby with 40 series chassis, rear mounted 351 clevo, 35's, roll cage, etc etc.
Geat fun. Its actually for sale if anyone is interested? Launceston area.

el_freddo
Here and there

Unread post by el_freddo » August 3rd, 2011, 12:11 am

Hehehe... some classics there!

I've not been on the board for a while - been caught up with other things unfortunately!

Looks like we've got a lot of past subi 4wd owners and a lot of current black top/daily only subi owners!

I hope to catch some of you out there some day - my little subi still surprises me just when I think she's about to let me down!

So far the only things that have stopped me are deep dirty water (got stuck and flooded :() and a hill climb in the alpine area where the 27's sucked the life from the EJ22 with the stock gearing. I'm hoping a set of 4.11 diffs and a mild cam will sort that out :D

Anyone else lurking around that haven't owned up yet?

Cheers

Bennie

StolleMan
Here and there

Unread post by StolleMan » August 13th, 2011, 1:02 pm

I have a '92 Brumby that I use for work. Looking for a set of 14" sunraysias and some slightly bigger rubber to stick on her. Love the car to bits, haven't taken her off-road yet though.

I also have a Ford Bronco and the missus has a Jeep TJ Wrangler, so we have a bit of 4x4 variety.

Return to “General”