View topic - Performance 2.6 Pajero

Performance 2.6 Pajero

Triple diamond talk
Avid Poster

Performance 2.6 Pajero

Has Anyone Played Around With Webbers And Exhaust's On Mid 80's 2.6 Pajero's ?

I Have Been Told The Webber Of Carbi Xf Falcons Are Good With A Free Flowing Exhaust Makes A Huge Difference/?

Worth It?

Toyota Mick

Unread postby toyota mick » January 16th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Been here a while

The best info available on the Mitsu 2.6 is 4x4Wire

Those guys can tell you all you need to know.

Unread postby 4ePajero » January 16th, 2008, 11:14 pm

toyota mick wrote:Has Anyone Played Around With Webbers And Exhaust's On Mid 80's 2.6 Pajero's ?

I Have Been Told The Webber Of Carbi Xf Falcons Are Good With A Free Flowing Exhaust Makes A Huge Difference/?

Worth It?

Toyota Mick

Hi Mate,

I had one years ago when I was working for Mitsubishi and we machined out the standard carburettor (the aluminium bodied one is better for this), fitted a twin pipe exhaust manifold from a 2.6L Sigma and 2 1/4 inch exhaust plus what we then called a Ralliart Safari cam. This was a similar setup to what the very first Ralliart Pajero's ran in the original Australian Safaris. With thses mods the 2.6L goes pretty well. It is possible to get them to put out as much and more low down torque than the early V6 did.

Mal from Crockenberg Motors in Perth would know more exact details if he's still around.

Hope this helps.
Glenn Wright
Editor
Australian 4WD Action magazine

Unread postby Glenn » January 17th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Need to get out more

picking up a falcon carby cheap shouldn't be too much of an issue...getting rid of the free falcon that came with it might be though :)

from what i understand...there's plenty of gain to be had from these motors with an aftermarket camshaft....brother-in-law was talking about doing that to his pajero, but my sister wasn't so keen....

Unread postby cac » January 17th, 2008, 10:57 pm

Been here a while

I was looking at going down the turbo path with the triton but I found it cheaper to go for the commy 3.8 v6. I'm half way there.

Can't remember the place (its in Perth) but for around $1400 the have cam, carby, exhaust packages. Nice big cam, modified carby. Can get an exhaust done locally though which cuts down freight expenses.

Unread postby clm434 » January 18th, 2008, 2:39 pm

Avid Poster

yeah the 2.6 is a good old motor.

4wdm ran an article a while back on how to get more grunt outta petrol engines, it pretty much mentioned what you blokes have said

exhaust-cam-bit more compression(a bit machined off the head)-bigger carby

i just rebuilt my 2.6-took a bit off the head, got rid of the balance shafts(chains were bouncing around)and got extractors(hitech headers) and 2" exhasuht the whole way through, now im looking for a cam that will help with down low power(not crazy revving stuff like the crow cams' one).

there is also also a thread a while back which talks in more detail about the types of carbies people have used- i think it was called 2.6 performance webbers or something simmilar

and for those wanting even more grunt :D :D you can even work on an efi system from a magna or something simillar- there is a thread on outerlimits4x4.com which goes into great detail with this and has pics

Outer Limits 4x4 Board :: View topic - Fitting magna EFi to 2.6 carb pajero! I'm going to go ahead!
(carb to efi thread)

Outer Limits 4x4 Board :: View topic - Replacement carb (better) on 2.6 astron
(replacement carbies)
REAL MEN SMOKE CLUTCHES

86 NC pajero,2" OME lift,snorkle,Duel Batt,uhf,steel f+r bars,MTZ's

Another proud test subject for BUNDABERG RUM

Unread postby MadPaj » January 18th, 2008, 9:03 pm

havent bothered on the paj...but years ago did the goods to a siggy.....we made custom tuned extractors, with m..head was a stage III head..ported /polished..tq30 cam..regraphed dizzy.. went the 350 holley ( i wouldnt do the holley on a 4wd though)....

It went like the proverbial shower of sh&*
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

Unread postby toy yoda » January 18th, 2008, 9:16 pm

Been here a while

MadPaj wrote:yeah the 2.6 is a good old motor.

4wdm ran an article a while back on how to get more grunt outta petrol engines, it pretty much mentioned what you blokes have said

exhaust-cam-bit more compression(a bit machined off the head)-bigger carby

i just rebuilt my 2.6-took a bit off the head, got rid of the balance shafts(chains were bouncing around)and got extractors(hitech headers) and 2" exhasuht the whole way through, now im looking for a cam that will help with down low power(not crazy revving stuff like the crow cams' one).

there is also also a thread a while back which talks in more detail about the types of carbies people have used- i think it was called 2.6 performance webbers or something simmilar

and for those wanting even more grunt :D :D you can even work on an efi system from a magna or something simillar- there is a thread on outerlimits4x4.com which goes into great detail with this and has pics

Outer Limits 4x4 Board :: View topic - Fitting magna EFi to 2.6 carb pajero! I'm going to go ahead!
(carb to efi thread)

Outer Limits 4x4 Board :: View topic - Replacement carb (better) on 2.6 astron
(replacement carbies)

EFI I say yes.
Shaving the head I say no.

As good as these motors can be the alloy heads are rather susceptable to warping...easy. I know, I done it. Apart from that if you can get a good strong aftermarket head it is pretty well bulletproof.

Unread postby clm434 » January 19th, 2008, 12:12 am

Part of the furniture

the 2.6 is a tough motor, i had one in a 76 galant that was good for 12secs on th quarter. it had a blue printed and balanced motor magna head that was flowed and match ported custom split pulse turbo manifold and a garret T04 running 15 psi. if i was to do a 4x4 motor i would remove the balance shaft flow the head , match port it and put larger injectors with after market computer and a good free flowing exhaust , no turbo though

Unread postby eldo » January 19th, 2008, 6:02 am

Been here a while

toyota mick wrote:Has Anyone Played Around With Webbers And Exhaust's On Mid 80's 2.6 Pajero's ?

Worth It?

Toyota Mick

I used to do this for a living.
Mate you're spot on with the XE/F Ford carby they work a treat and run well
off road even on steep hills.

I found it better to run a full flow air cleaner on them with big bore extractors
and 2.25 or 2.5 inch exhaust then advance the timing a tad.

Just done this to the young blokes 2.6 Triton 4x2 work ute and it goes VERY well and have managed to get 27.3 mpg out of it.
Could only get approx 22 mpg before !

Hope this helps bms

PS: The carby will need to be rejetted .

Unread postby BMS » January 19th, 2008, 4:13 pm

Here and there

What size jet would you use?

Unread postby PJDM1980 » February 2nd, 2010, 9:32 pm

Return to General Mitsubishi