Help with an import Pajero MMC.

Triple diamond talk
Lachlan
Getting to know the place

Help with an import Pajero MMC.

Unread post by Lachlan » August 25th, 2007, 11:40 am

Hello all.

My girlfriend has a Pajero MMC (1992) SWB soft-top (imported) and I have a few questions.

The roof is vinyl and the back window is opaque due to all the mildew that has formed. The zips have started to tear away from the vinyl so the top isn't pulled tight causing water to pool at the edges of the window.
Visibility from the rear-view mirror is awful, the only safe way to drive it is with the roof off and window rolled up, but this makes driving on dirt trackes very messy plus driving on the freeway is very noisy.

I have tried to clean it with different products but none do the trick.

She is thinking about replacing the windows but isn't sure who does is and how much it would cost. Is it even possible to replace the windows without replacing the vinyl roof?

If this isn't clear I can take a photo of what I mean.

Another problem are the seat belts. Whenever the car is on an incline or a lateral tilt the seat belts lock and can't be used until the car is level. She was told the only option was to get racing harnesses installed for a heap of money.

The seat belts were replaced when the vehicle was imported from Japan prior to her buying it.

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/softtops/pajero.htm
Another thing is insurance. As it is an import my girlfriend had a hard time finding someone who would insure it. She ended up with Just Cars, but that is quite expensive. Do you (or anyone) know of any alternatives?

I guess we will have to live with the seat belts....

We are in Brisbane.

Thanks for your help.

RTIKUL8

Unread post by RTIKUL8 » August 25th, 2007, 1:17 pm

all seat belts have an operating angle & buy the sounds of it the seat belts fitted might not be the correct belts & are "topping" out.

the Autoliv website has a parts list, put in pajero 1992

Autoliv Aftermarket >Product Range >>Seatbelt Replacement Guide

4wd26
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd26 » August 27th, 2007, 10:20 am

Re:the insurance I just had a surprise from suncorp.

They had insured my import for the past 2 years at pretty favourable rates, but this year they have changed there stance on impots and increased the premium from $500 to $800/ year, increased the excess from $400 to 1000 and then decided that I was not allowed to have agreed value- and that it would revert to market value.

Spew.....

Checked out Shannons an have once again have agreed value and the rates are not too bad. A little dearer than previous, but total coverage (well so they say) regarding offroading.

Cheers
ML Triton 3.2 DID Auto.
Bilstein Suspension lift, 32" MTR Kevlar tyres, VMS, canopy and ARB Protection
[url=http://www.tlcv.org.au/eTreks.htm]National E Trek Libary[/url]
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/australiagettingoutthere/home]Getting Out There[/url]

Lachlan

Unread post by Lachlan » August 27th, 2007, 6:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think we might have to live with the seatbelts, I found a quote on a replacement soft-top 4WD SOFT TOPS – PAJERO SWB

$1250 delivered. I might see I can find a 4WD accessories place to order one in so I can get the delivery knocked off the price.

jop
Here and there

Unread post by jop » August 28th, 2007, 6:40 pm

g'day mate i fitted that new top to my j top about 2 months ago,
it is heaps better than the factory top and relatively easy to fit.
get the tinted option if you havent ordered it already.
The other option is to get the windows replaced if the original top is ok, my mate has one and did this, it cost him about $400, including repairing the canvas over the sunroof.
Heres mine

Lachlan

Unread post by Lachlan » August 29th, 2007, 7:24 am

Thats exactly what we are looking for, thanks Jop.

Have you had any problems with mildew or crap forming on the windows? What do you use to keep it clean?

We are thinking of replacing the whole thing, the metal bar at the bottom end of the vinyl at the back doesn't quite reach the metal clips and doesn't keep the top stiff at the back.

I think getting a new unit would be the preferred option. Great to hear some advice from people who have tried it.

jop
Here and there

Unread post by jop » August 29th, 2007, 2:25 pm

Yeah sounds like you should replace it, it fits great now.

The bar at the bottom gets reused, i pulled it out cleaned it and repainted it black, looks great.

You will need a rivet gun, to reattach the bar to the new top, it comes with the rivets.

It arrives on time and is good quality, as for cleaning, i havn't cleaned mine yet, but instructions are included.

Sounds like we need a j top meet up in brissy:D

Waynegler
Here and there

Unread post by Waynegler » October 5th, 2007, 9:40 am

jop, pleased to hear you are happy with your new pajero soft top, which I manufacture.
My Pajero is insured through "Australia 4WD Insurance" managed by DGA Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd, is definately covered off road.
PH 1800 800 471

tabbishmahmood
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Help with an import Pajero MMC.

Unread post by tabbishmahmood » September 5th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Hello guys, i have been going crazy looking for a soft top for my Q-V24C NDF 1991 Mitsubishi J TOP Pajero. Unfortunately i am not in Australia but i would need your guidance on how to get it. My car currently has an ugly looking fiber top made by Shinsei (something similar to the ones used in Dakar rally). But i desperately need the complete soft top with the frame and the fitting. Any suggestions?

tabbishmahmood
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by tabbishmahmood » September 5th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Sharing some pictures for reference ..
10408167_10154399608185408_7826266379602290068_n.jpg
10478935_10154402375435408_2845296960948189256_n.jpg
10533750_10154379698600408_1527194068210283752_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 5th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Hi tabbish, not sure I can specifically help you, but when I had a similar issue some years back with one of my Feroza's, we found a mob in Victoria who custom made soft tops & the necessary frames for just about any vehicle - and they were surprisingly cheap. I don't have any details, but if you do a search on the internet there must still be people doing that sort of thing! ;)

Which one of those vehicles is yours?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

tabbishmahmood
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by tabbishmahmood » September 16th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Hi peter, the black one's mine. I am still trying to find someone who can do the job for me.

Return to “General Mitsubishi”