Triton v6 6G72 engine problem. No power, won't rev

Triple diamond talk
matt_long247
I'm new, be nice!

Triton v6 6G72 engine problem. No power, won't rev

Unread post by matt_long247 » February 4th, 2015, 8:03 pm

Hi,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me!

I have recently bought a 1999 triton with the 3ltr petrol v6 6G72 engine, also fitted with LPG too.

Passed roadworthy an gas safety certificate fine.
Was running great. Pulled well with plenty of power using petrol.
Then first time I used the LPG it drove fine for about 30 k's.
After which it felt like it was slightly down on power going down the ranges. I thought it was just how lpg runs? So switched back onto petrol mode. No real difference. But over the next 50 k's or so, power kept dropping. Max speed went down to 80 flat out. Kept dropping until it would only do 40 an barely had enough power to move!
Now it idles fine but won't Rev up past 3000rpm. Still no power when trying to drive. It just bogs out. doesn't backfire or anything. Just dies unless you lift off. An does exactly the same if on petrol or gas.

Checked various things but no luck. Plugs etc all okay an sparking fine. Compression test was ok an holding well. Don't think Fuelling can really be a problem if it's the same on petrol or gas?
Crankshaft pulley was quite wobbly an read about the problems with that so I've taken that off an replaced with the new revised bolt. Didn't make any difference.

Usually runs slightly better when you first fire it up when it's cold. Seems like more of an electrical problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Matt

bundyjr
Been here a while

Re: Triton v6 6G72 engine problem. No power, won't rev

Unread post by bundyjr » February 5th, 2015, 2:09 pm

sounds a hell of a lot like fuel starvation.
one of my old v6 trucks a mk started doing the exact same thing. i dropped the tank and the pre filter on the
fuel pump looked like a chocolate bricket. No engine lights at all i take it.?
is the gas mixer hooked up to the heater lines to prevent it from freezing over as is with mine.?
this happening can also cause fueling issues to im led to believe .
cheers
jay

matt_long247
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by matt_long247 » February 5th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Yeah that's what I thought too. Just weird how it runs exactly the same on gas an petrol. If it was filters or Injectors then it would be ok on the gas? that's why I'm thinking a sensor or something electrical. An no warning lights at all unfortunately!

Thanks. Matt

matt_long247
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by matt_long247 » February 7th, 2015, 3:04 pm

Finally fixed it! Turns out that it was all due to the cat been blocked! Cheeky decat pipe an runs great!

bundyjr
Been here a while

Unread post by bundyjr » February 7th, 2015, 6:00 pm

dam that thing must have been shagged. doesn't surprise me in the slightest. mine found a new home after 250 thou and bugger me it was like a new truck

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 8th, 2015, 2:00 am

matt_long247
Constipation can be very debilitating. Humans suffer like that too, ALLBRAN does a similar thing for us. Derestricts the cat blockage.

RichieH
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by RichieH » April 23rd, 2015, 12:18 am

I've the exact same issue but only on lpg. Petrol runs great.
Do you know if the cat is likely the problem given problem only happens on gas?
Glad i found this post, its been wrecking my head!
Cheers

milky4x4
Here and there

MK V6 Triton Loosing Low End Power Surging

Unread post by milky4x4 » August 27th, 2016, 12:29 am

Now My V6 MK Triton is surging and loosing power on take off and at low speeds going up hills etc. Also seems to blow a bit of smoke when doing this.

Could it be the throttle body? Or leads and spark plugs? Fuel filter?

Anyone have a similar experience and some advice?

Thanks

milky4x4
Here and there

Unread post by milky4x4 » August 27th, 2016, 12:34 am

matt_long247 wrote:Finally fixed it! Turns out that it was all due to the cat been blocked! Cheeky decat pipe an runs great!
How'd you work that one out?! What did you do, replace the pipe or clean it out?

My MK V6 is surging and running crap at lower speeds and take off and I'm trying to figure out what could be the cause...

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Re: MK V6 Triton Loosing Low End Power Surging

Unread post by V Williamson » August 27th, 2016, 7:51 am

Apart from the "cat" you mentioned earlier - I take it this is the catalytic converter in the exhaust system - of which I would think an exhaust shop might be the best option, the oxygen sensor located at the rear of the exhaust manifold needs replacement every 100k km's. These have been known to cause power variation when the incorrect amount of remaining oxygen in the exhaust gases is reported back to the engine control unit. If it hasn't been replaced, then I would recommend that you do this even if not the source of the current problem. If the oxygen sensor wasn't the problem, you will have carried out necessary maintenance, so it won't be a "loss".

milky4x4
Here and there

Unread post by milky4x4 » September 1st, 2016, 8:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. Would this sensor stop the Triton from starting up at all?

I've just been reading about the camshaft position sensor and it seems to list all the symptoms that my Triton had leading up to it's "death". I'm just a little confused as to whether the camshaft position sensor is a separate sensor to the crank angle position sensor. I think they are as there seems to be both parts listed on ebay.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » September 1st, 2016, 8:26 pm

Not sure that the oxygen sensor would disable an engine, - I don't know. Regarding the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, without delving deeper (so I may be wrong), I understand that the sensors are a magnetic type which sense the passing of a lobe or lobes on the shaft. So the same type of sensor would be usable in both locations. my 2c.

Return to “General Mitsubishi”