Can you lift a Mitsubishi Outlander?

Triple diamond talk
Grubby jay
Getting to know the place

Can you lift a Mitsubishi Outlander?

Unread post by Grubby jay » August 6th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Hi is it possible to lift a 09 mitsubishi outlander to get more ground clearance iam new to all this 4wding fun and been getting out in the bush with the kids now iam thinking if I can give the outlander some lift we could have some more fun and explore a bit more i have been surprised with what I can do so far with a bone stock mitsubishi outlander hope there is someone on here that could give me some ideas what I could do to make a great SUV better

Grubby jay

Re: Can you lift a Mitsubishi Outlander?

Unread post by Grubby jay » August 12th, 2013, 11:07 am

Am I the only crazy person that wants to try and lift a outlander surely someone out there can give me some info if it is possible to do and how it can be done on a 2009 mitsubishi outlander

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 12th, 2013, 12:50 pm

You can lift anything if you are prepared to throw enough money at it or do enough fabricating yourself.... but whether it'll do anything good for you is another matter.

If you want to keep it safe, legal, & robust, you'll need to try and steer away from spacers and things like ball joint flips, they will create issues both legally and for your driving/suspension strength, but if you talk to people like SuspensionStuff or Ace, or even any of the spring manufacturers, you should be able to come up with something that gives you a bit of a lift - probably won't be a heap taller, I wouldn't expect more than about 30-40mm max, but then any more than that on a vehicle like the Outlander is likely to introduce some on road handling and safety issues anyway.

You might be better off just fitting taller tyres and trimming the guards/working on the sensors etc to keep them all doing what they should, and bigger tyres is often the only way you will get more clearance under the important 'unsprung' bits that catch on the sticky up bits when you are off the bitumen. Buuut, that does mean that things like ABS, ESP, Traction Control etc might not work the way they should, so you need to be careful (and a little conservative too) with any tyre dia increase - usually going no more than 25mm over the largest tyre the manufacturer recommends for that vehicle isn't too bad, but check with the manufacturer or any see if you can get any specifics from this or any Mitsubishi Forum.

We got about a 30mm lift for our Suzi SX4 just by replacing the springs/struts with custom units, and now we are also running slightly taller tyres too (see above). I'm not sure we'll keep all of that lift for too much longer, the weight it hasta carry is slowly increasing. I'm working on a solid bash plate for the sump/transaxle instead of the placcy OE thing, and after that I want to see how big a fuel tank I can get underneath, the stock 40l (35 usable) isn't all that great, even if it does do better than about 8l/100km. :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Grubby jay

Unread post by Grubby jay » August 14th, 2013, 10:29 am

Thanks for the info I will look in to some custom springs and struts not to keen on trimming the guards as its a family car I shall shoot of a few emails to see what other info I can get its still a surprise what it can do being only a SUV and a 4 cylinder thanks again

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 14th, 2013, 11:34 am

I don't know why people have such an aversion to trimming guards?! It doesn't necessarily mean it won't look just as good as it does stock or that there will be anything else to worry you, it just means that whoever does the job needs to pay a little bit of attention to detail - and in fact, many vehicles out there with trimmed guards not only make it easier to run larger wheels etc, but they often look BETTER than stock, and it usually doesn't cost a heap either generally a bunch less than a proper suspension upgrade, especially if your vehicle already runs placcy or fibreglass wheel arches, and what car doesn't do that these days?!

So if you don't want to do the job yourself (it's not a hard one usually, well within the range of most home spanner spinners) why not check to see what it'd cost to get a local panel beater to do it? Compare that to the cost of getting springs and struts made up to lift your car, and the potential for steering & wheel alignment issues that suspension lifts can bring with it, it might be the best way to go. And it does mean that you can still install any after market suspension products that take your fancy down track, as well as using stock parts etc without worrying about increased loads and angles.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “General Mitsubishi”