Mitsubishi New Car Warranty

Triple diamond talk
oldkid
Here and there

Mitsubishi New Car Warranty

Unread post by oldkid » July 2nd, 2013, 8:31 am

Hi guys
Well I have picked up my new {2nd Hand} 2010 Challenger from a dealership in brissy and love it. Its stock at the moment but will start planning mods as I can afford them. However after a casual chat with the salesman he mentioned the factory fitted tow bar, and that it was a bonus because after market tow bars voided new car warranty on the entire drive train :purplex: . Now I was planning to fit a new rear bar, wheel carrier etc.to improve rear clearance and provide space to fit a long range tank, but now may have to change my mind there. I will discuss it with Mitsubishi but it got me thinking about what other mods will mess with your warranty? I would be interested to get other peoples thoughts, opinions or stories on the issue, has anyone been caught with the same problem?
Cheers
Gav.
P.S I did notice a 2011 model had a different style factory fitted tow bar that if memory serves me correct actually sat behind the rear bumper with the neck coming through the bumper opposed to sitting underneath, obviously improving clearance, one problem solved there I suppose, any thoughts ?

oversite
Need to get out more

Re: Mitsubishi New Car Warranty

Unread post by oversite » July 2nd, 2013, 1:14 pm

as to warranty, your local salesman will often try to cover there ass by saying that something voids warrenty when really it shouldnt, there are a few horror stories arround where after contacting the car maker the warranty claim has been accepted.

If a mod activly contributes to the problem, then its not going to be covered but if the mod is there and the problem happens independantly then dont ever accept "well since you had a winch/bar/snorkel ect fitted you chose to void the warranty"!

Goodluck and happy hunting

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » July 2nd, 2013, 9:07 pm

Your sales man is talking out of his arse.

Some dealers will even fit HR tow bars and aftermarket bull bars.

It has no effect on your warranty.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » July 2nd, 2013, 10:32 pm

Ask the salesman how the drive train is affected by a towbar.

The drive train does spin and so does the salesman. I wonder which one can spin up to speed the quickest.

If you went through this forum and documented all the situations dealers and sales people have told customers, you could write a bible of auto related B-llsh-t, containing hundreds of chapters of misleading information and erroneous crap all designed to extract money from wallets with no guilty feelings at all.

oldkid
Here and there

Unread post by oldkid » July 3rd, 2013, 12:53 pm

It seems we are a all of the same opinion, my post was a little tongue in cheek although that's what he said lol.
However it did get me thinking that how do other more "mechanical" mod's effect warranties? power chips, exhaust, suspension etc. Anyone had any bad experiences?
Cheers
Gav.

Not_An_Abba_Fan
Been here a while

Unread post by Not_An_Abba_Fan » July 3rd, 2013, 1:00 pm

As already said, the salesman is full of it. An aftermarket towbar will not affect warranty at all. The only time any aftermarket part will affect new car warranty is if it causes a failure of some compnent of the car.
Southwest Performance Exhaust

neilsonleif
Here and there

Unread post by neilsonleif » July 7th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Hi. As a Mitsubishi technician, I can tell you that if any aftermarket, non genuine part fitted to your vehicle can be judged to be the cause or contribute to the cause of the concern than no warranty will be accepted. Which lets face it is totally appropriate!!! Warranty is only considered to be a manufacturing defect. A lot of research goes into genuine accessories by the vehicle manufacturer. This should always be considered when fitting a/market products.
You can't make ice cream from pig *****!!

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » July 7th, 2013, 10:45 pm

while I agree with you a little neil you must also understand that some salemen/managers go overboard

IE the UHF radio fitted to your new car doesnt contribute to the rear diff failure

The rear bar doesnt effect the engine head gasket

the roofrack doesnt effect the transmission.

ect..
ect..

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » July 8th, 2013, 12:03 am

oversite
I think the gentlemans name is Leif. Neilson being the ID.

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » July 8th, 2013, 12:06 am

:redface: I was in a hurry :redface:

neilsonleif
Here and there

Unread post by neilsonleif » July 8th, 2013, 7:19 am

Absolutely. I agree 100% oversite! Just was trying to clear it up a little. Your right thou, UHF wont contribute to the rear diff failure so that's not an issue, however it may contribute to the 4x4 lights flashing if wired incorrectly. That sort of thing. I can't speak for other dealerships, but where I work we don't link an a/market tow bar to cause a leaking power steering pump etc. I believe the main killer of a good warranty is a diesel chip!!!! Manufacturers hate them and let's face it, the humble 4d56 relies on warranty.
Im not trying to say only buy genuine parts. No way, I'm just saying that whilst under manufacturers warranty you should be selective.
The original post was oldkid after some other experiences with warranty and a/market gear.
Oh and yes, Leif is my first name! That's some good detective work mydmax. :) lol
You can't make ice cream from pig *****!!

Return to “General Mitsubishi”