LSD in my Paj?

Triple diamond talk
Chuck Steak
Been here a while

LSD in my Paj?

Unread post by Chuck Steak » April 22nd, 2013, 1:21 am

I just picked myself up a 1988 TD Paj, and was wondering what the chances were of it having an LSD? If it did have one, what would the chances be that it was still working?
If, as I suspect i's not likely to have a working LSD, is an aftermarket unit available?

BTW, how do you test for an LSD? Jack up the rear end and rotate a wheel, and if it has an LSD the other wheel turns in the same direction?

Thanks in advance

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Re: LSD in my Paj?

Unread post by V Williamson » May 9th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Gday Mark, the method you mentioned is about it. Both wheels off the ground (WHS message - use proper jackstands on a firm and level surface) rotate one by hand. If the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction, then you haven't got lsd. That is my understanding anyway... Confirm this by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI8ewn6HOjg. cheers vw

Chuck Steak
Been here a while

Re: LSD in my Paj?

Unread post by Chuck Steak » May 23rd, 2013, 8:01 pm

Thanks Vaughan - it's sorted - it does indeed have a LSD. My suspicions were aroused when I didn't get bogged after parking on soft sand (without shifting into 4WD) when I should have without an LSD. I searched a Pajero owners forum and discovered that if it has an LSD there will be a tell-tale orange sticker announcing the fact on the driver side door jamb. I had a look and - behold - there it was.

Amazing really - a 25 year old car has an LSD that still works. The equivalent Toyota was gutless and generally poxy 60 series without a turbo, and a LSD that wore out as soon as you drove it off the showroom floor.. And people still buy Toyotas - I don't get it

Return to “General Mitsubishi”