How To Adjust Timing 2 Teeth?

Triple diamond talk
milky4x4
Here and there

How do I Check the timing on MK V6 Triton?

Unread post by milky4x4 » September 8th, 2016, 2:19 pm

In order to Check the timing on MK V6 Triton do I just rotate the cam wheel clockwise until the timing marks line up?

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Re: How do I Check the timing on MK V6 Triton?

Unread post by Neat 60 » September 8th, 2016, 7:47 pm

You might need to be a bit more specific there mate, ignition timing or valve timing? I'm guessing by the vagueness of the post you mean cam timing? Is the timing belt on or off it?

If it's on see below diagram for valve timing marks.
V6.jpg
Turn over by hand from the crank pulley bolt NOT the cam pulley in a clockwise direction until the above marks line up.

If you've pulled the belt off before lining up the marks you're in over your head I'm afraid
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

milky4x4
Here and there

How To Adjust Timing 2 Teeth?

Unread post by milky4x4 » November 8th, 2016, 10:40 am

I'm doing the timing belt on my MK V6 Petrol Triton and had to refit the old belt for a minute to try and help loosen the camwheel bolts. When I put the old belt back on I noticed that the drivers side camwheel had moved somehow about two teeth anti-clockwise.

The other cam is still TDC, and I'm assuming the crankshaft is still, but the harmonic balancer is off along with the timing guide marks.

Do I just take of the timing belt again and turn the drivers side camwheel on it's clockwise until it is TDC?

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: How To Adjust Timing 2 Teeth?

Unread post by typhoeus » November 8th, 2016, 6:24 pm

the valve springs can cause the cam to move a bit when you take the belt off. Just make sure the marks on the sprockets are aligned with the index marks when you reassemble it

milky4x4
Here and there

How To Re-align Timing?

Unread post by milky4x4 » November 8th, 2016, 6:58 pm

Hi all, I decided to try and attempt doing the timing belt on my 3.0L V6 Triton and I'm a bit stuck with the drivers side camwheel going out of alignment.

Everything was TDC when I took the belt off, but the drivers side camwheel went off two teeth ant-clockwise somehow when I rentensioned the old belt to try and undo the camshaft bolts. I released the tension on the belt and the drivers side camwheel turned ant-clockwise to about 10o'clock.

What should I do now? Use a spanner to turn the drivers side camwheel on it's own without the belt on to TDC? Or do I try to turn it with the belt on and tensioned?

Basically how do I line it up again?

Here's some pics of my fun:

Drivers side camwheel

Passengers side camwheel

Crankshaft sprocket - nothing really going on here as there's no harmonic balancer or timing cover with mark to see.

Hopefully someone can help me... otherwise I'll trailer it to the mechanics I guess. :whyme:

milky4x4
Here and there

Re: How do I Check the timing on MK V6 Triton?

Unread post by milky4x4 » November 8th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply Neat60. I forgot I did the first thread. All the info is now in this thread.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » November 8th, 2016, 8:21 pm

you can turn the camwheels about 20 degrees or so each way without damage if you do it by hand or gently with a tool. If you feel it come up against resistance don't push it. If the other 2 sprockets are aligned up, you can turn the errant one to line up using the bolt in the middle. You will find that the bolt is probably tight enough to turn the cam no problems.

milky4x4
Here and there

Unread post by milky4x4 » November 8th, 2016, 9:58 pm

Thanks. I'll try pushing the drivers side camwheel bolt clockwise tomorrow on it's own until it's lined up or I feel resistance.

milky4x4
Here and there

Unread post by milky4x4 » November 8th, 2016, 10:02 pm

If it is still out of line, what is the procedure to get the timing right again?

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » November 9th, 2016, 7:04 pm

were you able to turn the offending cam at all? did it try to spring back?

milky4x4
Here and there

Cam Wheel Sprung Back While Not At TDC

Unread post by milky4x4 » December 27th, 2016, 12:31 am

I'm trying to repair the woodruff key way on my V6 Petrol Triton and had to rotate the crankshaft to face upwards in order to do this. Originally everything was set at TDC.

When I rotated the crankshaft to face upwards the timing marks on the cam wheels ended up at about 3 o'clock.

I stupidly forgot to mark the position or clamp the cam wheels in place and when I took the belt off to get to the key way, the passenger side cam wheel sprung back to around TDC.

What can I do? Slowly try and turn the cam wheel back to around 3 o'clock with a socket? Or is it too dangerous?

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Return to “General Mitsubishi”