Is this expensive for an SJ80 Coily Susp Bush Kit??

All Zook talk
97HardTop
I'm new, be nice!

Is this expensive for an SJ80 Coily Susp Bush Kit??

Unread post by 97HardTop » October 27th, 2008, 10:38 pm

G'Day,
I just got a quote for $350 for a suspension bush kit for my coily. Does this seem excessive to anyone else? I live on the NSW Central Coast and would like to know of a decent mechanic if anyones knows of one.
Rod.

Trojan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Trojan » October 28th, 2008, 5:49 am

Is that just for the radius arm bushes? Not really what i would call excessive, but do you want to spend the money for something that will make your coily worse offroad.

The biggest problem is that replacement bushes are Nolathane and much stiffer then the original rubber bushes. The rear suspension can handle it, but the front can't, due to it's design it really stiffens it up and makes it even worse offroad.

For the front at least, think about going to the wreckers and buy two second hand Jimny front arms complete. They should be cheaper then aftermarket bushes, you'll still keep the original rubber, lastly you'll then have two spare arms to carry in the back. If you do any sort of driving offroad in a coily, it's more of a of when, not if you will break or bend a front arm. Having spares with you is a good thing as they are fairly easy to change yourself.

If you do break one, you can then remove the bushes and have them floating round as spares.

This is all essentially what i do myself

If a wreckers tells you, you can't fit Jimny arms to the front they are wrong. The arms are identical except for the Jimny having two small holes in the arm which are of no concern or importance to fitment to an SJ80. Also just check that the bushes are in good condition and the arms are straight as it's not uncommon to find them with slight bends in them.

97HardTop
I'm new, be nice!

thanks Trojan

Unread post by 97HardTop » October 28th, 2008, 10:07 am

The quote was for a full kit front and rear panhard, radius arm bushes made from polyurethane.

I mostly do beach and easy coastal tracks, it's my daily driver so I can't push it as hard as I'd like to, so bending radius arms may not be too much of a danger, but I will keep that info in mind, thanks.

scottysj80
Been here a while

Unread post by scottysj80 » October 28th, 2008, 12:08 pm

i paid about 160 for a set of rear panhard, radius arm bushes made from polyurethane, thay were the blue ones which are ment to be better? dose anyone no if you can buy the rubber ones?
black 1996 suzuki sierra:D
visit my shed > [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=4179&im=1[/url]
visit my members thread > [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=57315[/url]

Trojan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Trojan » October 28th, 2008, 2:32 pm

scottysj80 wrote:dose anyone no if you can buy the rubber ones?

As far as i am aware, the only place you can get rubber bushes from is Suzuki. The catch is you have to buy the complete arm with it.

ZookNC
Been here a while

Unread post by ZookNC » October 29th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Mate, if you don't do any hardcore 4wdriving, polyurethane bushes will make your car a lot more stable on the road. If you've still got the original rubber bushes on it, you've probably noticed the car wanders all over the road when you're on the highway.With the poly bushes, you'll notice a huge difference. If you don't want to lose too much wheel travel, just cut the bushes in half in the middle when you fit them rather than having them pressed on. A sharp knife with WD-40 works pretty well.

Hope this helps !

Cheers
Arnaud
'98 Coily Samurai/Sierra and Mazda BT-50 dual cab ute
"Oh no, you've broken down again! Is that a LAND ROVER you're driving ?" :p

zukildo
Been here a while

Unread post by zukildo » October 29th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Before I rebuilt my coily suspension I did play with some alternative bushes. Namely from the toyota surf or 4runner the rear control arms. All that was done for these to fit up was a bore out of the hole .5 mm for them to press fit. Also the bolt hole was opened up to accept the 14mm bolts in the chassic and diff mounts. And they were alot cheaper. Cheers Shane

djed
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Is this expensive for an SJ80 Coily Susp Bush Kit??

Unread post by djed » February 3rd, 2014, 5:48 pm

does anyone know if the rear arms of a SJ80 and jimny are the same?

ZookNC
Been here a while

Re: Is this expensive for an SJ80 Coily Susp Bush Kit??

Unread post by ZookNC » February 4th, 2014, 6:47 am

No they're not unfortunately.

Return to “General Suzuki”