What is the max wheel size I can run without a lift?

All Zook talk
Axiom
I'm new, be nice!

What is the max wheel size I can run without a lift?

Unread post by Axiom » September 9th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Gday everyone.

I've got a stock height JLX and I'm looking for some advice regarding the max size of wheel/tyre I can fit to my small beast.

What's the max I can go without lifting?

p.s I'm also in the market for some new wheels/tyres so let me know if you have anything for sale that might work for me.

Axiom
I'm new, be nice!

Re: What is the max wheel size I can run without a lift?

Unread post by Axiom » September 10th, 2013, 3:20 pm

bump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 10th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Hi Axiom, welcome to the Forum. Just a quick heads up tho, it's not quite the same as faceache or twitwhatever with instant gratification; it often takes about a week or so for posts like yours to start getting a good bunch of responses. It can happen quickly sometimes if people happen to be around or you post up at just the right time, but many of the regular posters only check in every now and then thru their working week, and then come on and answer things or post new info on their weekend or when they've got time off! ;)

So keep an eye on the views count on your thread and watch for it to keep climbing, if it does then don't worry too much if you don't get a heap of responses for a few days. The default bump period set on the Forum is 5 days, altho you can do it manually more often like you have, it still probably isn't going to help your cause too much. And whenever someone comes on, most of those in the know use the 'New Posts' or 'Unread Posts' option from the drop down list under Posts in the grey menu bar above the thread heading, so they aren't going to miss your post if it's not up the top of the index listing, it will be included in everything New (or unread) that's happened on the Forum since they were on last.

Sorry, but I can't help with your question re the JLX Suzi, altho our Daihatsu Feroza could fit 32" tyres without too much hassle; but fitting that size tyre and being able to drive it without changing the gearing or substantially increasing the engine output is a whole 'nuther thing!! I'd guess you'd be looking at around a 30-31" tyre max dia if you want to drive it and keep the vehicle capable on and off road too, and even then it will probably mean the low speed crawling is almost destroyed and your hill start ability will be severely compromised, altho your speedo might read under somewhat - and you'll probably kill the clutch fairly quickly too, due to all the slipping it will take to get things moving! But that's just me guessing. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Axiom
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Axiom » September 11th, 2013, 9:34 am

Thanks heaps Peter.

Noted down the few bits of information regarding the forum.

Okay I see now, my gut did tell me that a 31" tyre on a 15" rim would be best suited.... I had no idea there would be these potential performance effects though!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 11th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Yeah, you hafta watch out for the gearing changes, bigger wheels might give you more ground clearance and make it easier to drive over rocks etc, but it will whack your low range slow crawl speed around somewhat (it'll go faster) as well as decrease the engine braking effect for downhill runs when you want it to go low and slow (it'll go faster) and it'll make it harder to get moving from stop, when your towing, or when you are starting up a hill. Could stuff your fuel economy too, but that one is hard one to call, cos technically you will go further with every rev of the tyre, but you'll also be up in the air more which means more wind resistance and that makes it harder to push thru the air at speed. :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “General Suzuki”