what Suzuki to buy?

All Zook talk
buggy man
I'm new, be nice!

what Suzuki to buy?

Unread post by buggy man » January 4th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Hey guys im a bit of a newbie to this forum but ill skip the intros for now :p
I'm gonna get a suzuki for my first car, But im abit unsure of what to get?
A seirra, or a vitara?
My farther owns a mechanic workshop and i can weld and do lots of practical stuff myself which comes in handy.
The car will be driven offroad allot but will also be a dd aswell.
I was thinking doing a 2 or 4" suspension lift and mabye a body lift? And running some 31-33" muddies, arb air lockers, Custom barwork with winch, and mabye a tube tray.
So back to the main question what should i buy?
The seirra seems to be the more popular car, but the vitara may be a more comfortable DD? plus It'l proplably have a fule injected motor rather than a 1.3 carby, I idealy don't want to stuff around with engine conversions as I want to keep the car drivable throughout completing most of the mods.
Also would different reduction gearing be needed for this type of truck? and what would the best way to do the suspension lift? SHould I just buy the kits with leaf springs and shocks and all the bolds ect. or is their a different better route that would requre similar work, money and be better?
Thanks for the help everyone.
Darren. :)

ZookFastback
Been here a while

Re: what to buy

Unread post by ZookFastback » January 4th, 2012, 9:06 pm

I'd go a Jimny instead of the Vit and Siera. More comfortable, really good support, plenty of gear for them. Fuel injected, coil suspension, modern, airbags for safety, cheap to run and cheap for parts. In cabin change from 2wd to 4wd at up to 100kph.

Ian from Frankston :crazy:

Ordinary Jimnys go "Ok"
but Santana Jimnys go "Ole!"

It's hard to run like an Emu
when you are GIRT by Numbats

Jimmy10
Been here a while

Unread post by Jimmy10 » January 5th, 2012, 4:35 pm

The jimnys can be just as hatdcore as the sierras and an early model vehicle wont cost the world. There are reasonably priced suspension and body lifts so you can still get the 33s on there. There a bit more comfy and newer. Aftermarket parts are everywhere and they are still affordable. I love the sierras but since I got my 2010 jimny its to hard to go back.

Good luck car hunting

John
Fun Size!

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » January 5th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Whatever model you go for you'll need transfer reduction gears to run tyres bigger than 30" offroad. Burning clutches stink.

buggy man
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by buggy man » January 5th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Thanks guys, My uncle has a vitara for sale with a 2inch body lift and rebuilt motor 4sale soon (when he finishes the motor rebuild) I could get for a good price and do mods, but are vitaras better worse ect. than a sierra? offroad wise, will the car perform better? I plan to build a mid range forby, that will be cabable of most things but need some more insight to the donner car, what car has more aftermarket parts ect.
Thanks guy for the replies and help.
p.s may look ito the jiminy more aswell. :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 5th, 2012, 8:55 pm

The Vitara will give you a better on road/hwy ride & driving than a Sierra, so if it's gonna be your daily too then a Vitara might be a better way to go. And they can be just as good if not better off road, altho there are some differences so it's a bit of a swings and roundabouts thing. A Jimny, likely being a bit newer, should be somewhere between the two as far as on road goes, and probably the least capable off road in bog stock condition, but how long are you going to keep it 'stock'??

None of them will be all that easy to do a 'proper' 4" suspension lift on, and the work involved might be a bit much especially if you don't like the idea of an engine swap on a Sierra (a fairly often done & relatively easy thing to do!) So I'd be looking carefully at that Vitara your uncle has coming up soon - there might be a lot going for it; altho you always do need to be careful about dealing with relatives :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

offroadjack
Part of the furniture

Unread post by offroadjack » January 5th, 2012, 9:24 pm

i've had 3 sierra's and 4" is doable on them. 2" body and 2" spring.
i've had the LWB vitara as my 1st. 4B and would be my choice for your 1st. one.
comfortable and 2" body and 2" spring can be done no drama's.
but go bigger tyres you need reductiongears in your transfer in order to bring your gearing back to standard and not loose the so important torq..
won't go any bigger then 31's on both of them as it has to be your daily driver as well.
keep in mind that these mods are illegal and should get it engineered but thats up to you...
if you do go for the vitara with the 1.6 EFI engine.. make sure you keep the cooling system in top shape!!! you overheat those puppies, the head and possibly the block will crack!!!
they are an awesome little 4B and you'll be laughing all the way!! especially in the soft sand where all other big trucks will bog down and you drive around them in 2WD !!!!

offroadjack
Part of the furniture

Unread post by offroadjack » January 5th, 2012, 9:30 pm

as far as jimny's go, they would be my choise if i did not need the room for all the gear and kids!
the ones with the M motors are at fav. as you can choose between the M13 (standard engine) and M15 and even the M18 to swap into those little rippers!!! aftermarket gear is getting better an better for them!

Jimmy10
Been here a while

Unread post by Jimmy10 » January 6th, 2012, 3:44 pm

The Jimny's are identical to the sierra's in stock standard form i drove mine straight out the show room door and up to Lancelin dunes in WA. 5' lift is cheap and easy in the Jimn'y with a 3' tough Dog suspension kit costing $1600 fitted and 2' body lift $400 fitted. All bolt on and easy to do in a shed. tough dog steering dampner $300 and 5x 31' BFG Mud Terrains approx $1700, twin lockers $2300 with compressor you will have built yourself a hardcore truck with front and rear barwork, snorkles, roof racks, aftermarket dash layouts from Japan to choose from it can be very individual.

I understand it wasn't your original post and i apologize mate just doing a bit of defending :) I would go the Vitara mate it sounds like a cool project. There was a write up on one in the latest mag might be worth a read. The Vitara will probably be easier to live with day to day aswell and if you have a mrs the Vitara door seals are a bit better so the interiors don't get as dirty so her clothes wont get dirty so you can go out to diner in YOUR car for a change :) haha speaking from experience...
John
Fun Size!

ROAR99
Here and there

Unread post by ROAR99 » February 4th, 2012, 8:02 am

Jimmy10 wrote:The jimnys can be just as hatdcore as the sierras and an early model vehicle wont cost the world. There are reasonably priced suspension and body lifts so you can still get the 33s on there. There a bit more comfy and newer. Aftermarket parts are everywhere and they are still affordable. I love the sierras but since I got my 2010 jimny its to hard to go back.

Good luck car hunting

John
harcore as sierra NOT
fit 33,s ABSOLUTELY DREAMIN, (tyre that wont rub) maybe 31,s with some body, suspension work
comfortable yes,
u could get a fully moded sierra for the price of a early jimmy,

just my 2c worth :)

ROAR99
Here and there

Unread post by ROAR99 » February 4th, 2012, 8:14 am

if its more offroader fun , id say widetrack sierra.
big tyres, reduction gears, 1 locker and ul go just about anywhere and they are very easy to work on..
reduction gears and minor engine mods will help power up the little 1.3

vitaras are more comfy and cruise on the road a bit easyer but are a bit restricted when it comes to
suspension travell and tyre size..

good luck mate, either choice u will have alot of fun in a short wheel base 4by

ROAR99
Here and there

Unread post by ROAR99 » February 4th, 2012, 8:29 am

Jimmy10 wrote:The Jimny's are identical to the sierra's in stock standard form i drove mine straight out the show room door and up to Lancelin dunes in WA. 5' lift is cheap and easy in the Jimn'y with a 3' tough Dog suspension kit costing $1600 fitted and 2' body lift $400 fitted. All bolt on and easy to do in a shed. tough dog steering dampner $300 and 5x 31' BFG Mud Terrains approx $1700, twin lockers $2300 with compressor you will have built yourself a hardcore truck with front and rear barwork, snorkles, roof racks, aftermarket dash layouts from Japan to choose from it can be very individual.

I understand it wasn't your original post and i apologize mate just doing a bit of defending :) I would go the Vitara mate it sounds like a cool project. There was a write up on one in the latest mag might be worth a read. The Vitara will probably be easier to live with day to day aswell and if you have a mrs the Vitara door seals are a bit better so the interiors don't get as dirty so her clothes wont get dirty so you can go out to diner in YOUR car for a change :) haha speaking from experience...
John
yeah mate i meant no disrespect,, :)

'but this is first car' so say $5000 to lift and lock a jimmy to clear 31,s.. + price of buying the car
he could buy a later model sierra for $5-6000 locked, lifted. 31-32s..

Return to “General Suzuki”