what model sierras r the best 4 off road

All Zook talk
danger
Here and there

what model sierras r the best 4 off road

Unread post by danger » July 8th, 2011, 10:14 am

i want 2 buy a sierra and make it into a desent off roader can anyone tell me what models r the best 4 off road and what models have the wide track wheelbase

ROAR99
Here and there

Re: what model sierras r the best 4 off road

Unread post by ROAR99 » July 8th, 2011, 6:54 pm

w, track 90-93 under 250,000ks if u can find one,

with rebuilt or bigger engine,, (bigest downfall is the standard 1.3L)
dont get sucked into thinkin lifted springs will help offroad,, go body lift for
clearence and new std springs with quality extended shackles for articulation.
rear locker..

took some photos and measurments on the w,end....
mine-- body lift , std king springs, extended shackles, 30" M/T
custom front bar..

mates-- new 2" lifted comfort springs,shocks, 31" A/T

mine out flexed his on nearly every track, + the lifted stiff springs
pushed his car on such a lean :eek: we had to tie a rope to it couse it
nearly fell over on one realy hard track that i just went thru...

will upload photos when i can hope this helps

danger
Here and there

Unread post by danger » July 9th, 2011, 7:42 pm

thanks 4 the info. i think ill try find 1 with a 1.6 convertion or maby a 1.3 with a turbo

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » July 9th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Definitely go the wide track. Agree with everything Roar99 has said. I loved my Zook and would still have it if I could afford two 4wds. I loved the softtop as it was awesome in the right weather to take the top off. But it did detract from security. Basically I never left anything at all in the vehicle that I thought might be worth stealing. That gets to be a bit of a pain. Not sure though that you can get a widetrack in anything but the SoftTop.
The 1.3 is definitely way under powered. I had a larger exhaust and extractors put on mine, and some carby work, and it was tolerable, but definitely not a vehicle to drive long distances to go 4wding. On long club trips I had to tuck in tight amongst the bigger vehicles in convoy and let get a ride on the slipstream of one, and the wall of air at the front of the other. I'm told a 1.6 twin cam toyota engine is often put into them, but I'm also told it develops power too high in the rev range to be ideal. I have no idea if that's true. Just something I've been told.
Good luck with your search. If I had spent as much on doing up my Zook as I spent repairing the Patrol I replaced it with, I'd have had a Zook to rival Otis and been a lot richer now than I am.

SierraDan
Been here a while

Unread post by SierraDan » August 22nd, 2011, 5:35 pm

Alot of that is *******.

Anything between 1988 and 1996 are a widetrack, in hardtop and softtop.(Halfway through 1988 they became WT and halfway through 1996 they became coily's)

Dont use extended shackles without longer springs, the shackle angle will be horrid and the ride terrible and it also puts your castor and pinion angle out which affects handling and driveline.
Depending on what terrain you drive on will determine the lift and tyre size you need.

Also the toyota twin cam isn't often put into them, it sometimes is. The Vitara 1.6 EFI motor is often put in them.

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » September 10th, 2011, 8:26 am

Yea the 1.3 works fine though the carby can keep you busy. I think it's transfer gearing that's the problem on WT models and it's effect on clutches even on 30" tyres. Each model Suzuki has gotten taller geared and struggles more offroad. Lots more off the shelf gear available for WT ones but it can all be adapted to earlier ones if you have the skills.

shepsx
Here and there

Unread post by shepsx » October 30th, 2011, 8:15 pm

best off road is a lwb 1.3 narrow track with wide track diffs.

if the 1.3 was underpowered i wouldn't be able to tow my boat and seeing as i can tow my
boat with no effort then there must be adequate power.

Jimmy10
Been here a while

Unread post by Jimmy10 » November 14th, 2011, 11:32 am

Also my Pick the LWB SJ410 is the best :) the LWB helps keep the wheels on the ground in rutty conditions but the narrow track means you still fit in all the tight places. With a 3' lift and muddies its unstoppable. Everyone thinks the 957cc is under powered though... Well it is but never stopped me getting any where!

Mine was the blue LWB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fun Size!

Return to “General Suzuki”