How reliable/capable are late80's/early90's Jeeps?

Jeepers Unite
Gab250
Getting to know the place

How reliable/capable are late80's/early90's Jeeps?

Unread post by Gab250 » July 15th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Hey, I'm just wondering how reliable the older Jeeps from the late 80's and early 90's are, and how capable they are off road? Are parts easy to find? What about the aftermarket? is there much stuff available like suspension lifts, bullbars, winches, dual battery conversions (I realize I could make one of them) and bigger wheels and tires? I am particularly interested in the 6cyl 4 litre Petrol ones because they seem pretty cheap. Are the expensive things to maintain? I guess what I'm asking is are they a good thing in general? lol

Cheers, Gab

oversite
Need to get out more

Re: How reliable/capable are late80's/early90's Jeeps?

Unread post by oversite » July 15th, 2013, 11:23 pm

They are very very cheap for a reason.

They are capable off-road and comphy on the road but they can be unreliable and parts can be a pain. Every possible modification is available for a price - and from the US

VooDoo

Unread post by VooDoo » August 31st, 2014, 7:08 pm

I missed this as i haven't been around much but to correct oversite, parts are VERY easy to get and cheap too FROM THE US. The cars in unrestored condition are cheap but restored and registered often sell for 20k+. Any unrestored vehicle from that era is cheap. Aftermarket stuff is either custom or via the USA (again, most cars of that era dont have a lot of aftermarket support). If the car is under 5-7k its often a pig. 10k gets something reasonable but still needing work, 15-20k gets a mint car.

Offroad they could use a decent LSD or locker. A CJ7's best upgrade is using YJ spings. GQ patrol shocks were perfect. 31-33" tyres are fine. Its 80's wiring so average at best but can rewire with a kit from USA very cheap. Engine is bulletproof. Depending what gearbox you get they are solid, no real issues. Transfer cases are good except the quadratrac that can stretch the chain. There is nothing unreliable to them as it comes down to maintenance and who restored them. ANY 30-40yr old car needs work.

Indy Hepburn
Need to get out more

Unread post by Indy Hepburn » September 2nd, 2014, 8:14 am

VooDoo you got that right mate :thumb:

Have a look at the Jeep Cherokee XJ..a very capable 4wd..but it does chew the juice thanks to a old tech 4 litre straight six

For eg a front Aussie Auto Diff Lock can be had for $250; and the price for a 4 inch lift from the USA [everything included] is the same price as a 2 inch lift for a GQ Patrol or 80 series here in Australia! :D

And if you use either a TJ Wrangler or XJ Cherokee, best to put it on LPG or get a cheap buzzbox for the week [Hyundai Getz's are cheap as!] and use the 4wd on the Weekend ;) ..that also saves wear and tear on the 4wd too.. :D
if in doubt more right foot!

VooDoo

Unread post by VooDoo » September 2nd, 2014, 2:35 pm

80's jeeps are CJ's (till 86). We didnt get the YJ. The TJ started in 97 so is a late 90's. The XJ didnt arrive here until 94.

The FSJ (Full size Jeep) is getting very rare and good examples going up in price. With the 360ci v8 they were great tow vehicles and there were some wild mods for them. VERY simple to make a very capable car

Return to “General Jeep”