PROBLEMS!!! HELP!!!

Jeepers Unite
Fenno88
Here and there

PROBLEMS!!! HELP!!!

Unread post by Fenno88 » February 1st, 2011, 8:59 pm

Ok Guys bare with me i am not over mechanical minded but i do not want to pay an arm and a leg to get the TJ looked at.

Long Story:

So just before Xmas the TJ stopped in flood waters near work... I eventually got it started and reversed out.

Since then i have been having a few problems with the Jeep. (None that were noticable in the few weeks afterwards)

I then went up to Rainbow over new years and had no problems untill i returned home. Now the problems i am having are:'

1ST PROBLEM
I park the Jeep in the driveway when i am at home. (Nice incline)
I put the TJ in 1st and put the Handbreak up, i come outside to get in the TJ a few hours later and it is sitting down the bottom of the driveway.

2ND PROBLEM[/u
Everytime I drive somewhere with the AC on after about 30 odd kms the Jeep overheats.

3RD PROBLEM
It grinds into 2nd gear... as i said above i am not extremely mechanical minded and the last car was an Auto.... could the clutch be on the way out or could it be something from the water?

Thanks for everyones help in advance... please dont troll my topic.

bigpig
Avid Poster

Re: PROBLEMS!!! HELP!!!

Unread post by bigpig » February 4th, 2011, 12:16 pm

problem 2, check that the ac fan comes on with only ignition on, ac on and blower fan on. engine off. if it doesnt check fuses.

BLU-125

Unread post by BLU-125 » February 5th, 2011, 5:24 pm

1st problem: no idea.

2nd problem: see previous post

3rd problem: you need to change the oil in the gearbox, (and the transfer case), as water contamination could be a cause of poor changing.
2004 GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND.

WHAT SIDE WAS YOURS ON IN WW2? :)

Army_Barbie
Been here a while

Unread post by Army_Barbie » April 4th, 2011, 6:45 pm

If you adjust your handbrake it'll be right. I doubt it has anything to do with the flood water etc, Jeeps just have really crap handbrakes.

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » April 4th, 2011, 6:49 pm

@ ARMY - Barbie,

Do they have crap compression as well.?

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

Jeeps
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Jeeps » April 5th, 2011, 3:51 pm

Laidley 62 Series wrote:@ ARMY - Barbie,

David.
If it's parked in 1st make sure it's nose down otherwise it'll pop out of gear when taking up compression backwards.

cheers

Army_Barbie
Been here a while

Unread post by Army_Barbie » April 5th, 2011, 5:54 pm

I can't speak for everyone Laidley, but mine sucks!

Army_Barbie
Been here a while

Unread post by Army_Barbie » April 5th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Jeeps wrote:
Laidley 62 Series wrote:@ ARMY - Barbie,

David.
If it's parked in 1st make sure it's nose down otherwise it'll pop out of gear when taking up compression backwards.

cheers
Really? Never happened to me and I lived and parked in the Sunny Coast Hinterland for almost a year.. When I par on the incline of a hill i put it in first, and pop it into 4low and it won't move at all (I don't bother with the handbrake at all) and when parking on a decline, I put it into reverse and 4low. If i leave it in 1st facing down a hill and reverse facing up a hill, it'll start rolling forward/backwards..
If i park on a pretty steep hill, I'll park it and sit in it for 5mins to make sure it's not moving.. lol

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » April 5th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Barbie,

That is soooo sad, the compression should hold up or down in first or reverse unless the compression is really low for some reason.

I was not having a go at you but have never seen a car slip in first or reverse, sorry to see you don`t LOVE your 4b, I have a 60 series and love it more than any other inanimate object.

I guess like they say on the sticker, It`s a Jeep thing, I hope you get some joy out of your Jeep.

Hope to bump into you out on the tracks sometime.

Happy Trails,

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

Army_Barbie
Been here a while

Unread post by Army_Barbie » April 5th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Laidley 62 Series wrote:Barbie,

That is soooo sad, the compression should hold up or down in first or reverse unless the compression is really low for some reason.

I was not having a go at you but have never seen a car slip in first or reverse, sorry to see you don`t LOVE your 4b, I have a 60 series and love it more than any other inanimate object.

I guess like they say on the sticker, It`s a Jeep thing, I hope you get some joy out of your Jeep.

Hope to bump into you out on the tracks sometime.

Happy Trails,

David.
Lol all good David, that Jeep sticker pretty much explains it. It's a pain in the arse sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for anything! I love it! :P
I wouldn't describe it as a slip.. it's only if I park it on a hill and just leave it in gear (without handbrake and in 4wd) it'll slowly jump forward, then stop, then forward again. it's just the engine turning over. I don't find it to be a big deal or annoyance or anything. :)

Yep, will hopefully meet you on a track sometime :)

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » April 5th, 2011, 9:09 pm

I am please to see someone else has a crap Hand Brake - most Troopies seem to be the same, adjust the hand brake, it works, go for a drive through water and dirt and it needs adjusting again!

Also on a camping trip a while back I was parked nose down a slope, it was there all night, next morning my son opened the door to get something out, shut the door and next thing we knew the car was bunny hopping down the slope!
Darn thing was there all night and it had to wait till the morning!
Either way it was only a short run and would have stopped in the gutter... I hope!

Back the the original questions..

Adjust the Handbrake - or have it adjusted.

I would A check the fan to see if it is running B hose the radiator out - it may be filled with mud.

Regarding the Gear Box, Transfer Case and both front and rear Diffs - URGENT Change the OIL in all - Immediately or you WILL be up for BIG costs very soon!

Next I would be getting the breathers for all the transmission extended up so this will not happen again - not an expensive or overly hard thing to do but it can save you thousands in repair costs and something you could do.

It may help to join a Jeep Forum or a friend that knows something about cars and particularly Jeeps so they can help to show you where all the pipes go.. then hopefully for a few beers or folding stuff do the job with or for you.
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115
River City 4WD Club - President 2010 - 2014 http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net

Return to “General Jeep”