Disco for an all rounder??...

The original 4WD
smac
Avid Poster

Disco for an all rounder??...

Unread post by smac » August 25th, 2010, 11:12 pm

hi,
will be upgrading the Xtrail next year sometime, and have been thinking the 7seat Pathy would be good, (ST-L Auto 2.5TD).

I like the Pathy as its 7seats, TD and not too high off the ground, the other one similar is the Paj, but they are a bit more expensive 2nd hand, but a good alternative. The Prado would be great, but is more expensive again and sits higher of the ground which makes the city work more annoying and the misses reckons they are too high.

What would a Disco be like for something like 90% city driving and the occasional (when i get holidays) country, camping, 'rough road' trip? talking about Flinders Ranges (SA), up to Innamincka (SA) and even taking the long way up to Darwin etc

i know they have great 4wd ability and would walk all over a pathy in that regard, so not really worried about that, more interested in the reliability and ease of use for a daily driver.

also looking at around $30-35k to spend.

cheers
Smac
just purchased an 2010 SR5 ... waiting...

BMKal
Part of the furniture

Unread post by BMKal » August 28th, 2010, 12:56 pm

Mate, for those dollars, you would be looking at least at a very nice D2a. There are examples of these around for even less dollars than this, so you should have no problem finding a very nice one. I'd recommend a Td5 Diesel automatic for what you are looking for. Take one for a test drive, and let your wife drive it as well - you will be surprised. What many people (especially women) find great about these is the high seating position and the visibility that this gives you in traffic (also excellent when off road). It is a far better driving position than just about anything else I can think of.

Steer clear of the manual - they are good but have quite a heavy clutch - that is the only thing that my wife does not like about driving mine. And you'll all have to get used to the indicator column being on the wrong side of the steering wheel. :D

I find that they're no problem to drive in city traffic, and very comfortable on a long country run, and as you have said, will at least match anything else you might be considering off road.

The earlier Disco's were known for some reliability issues - but even then you take that advice with a bit of salt. I'm on my second, and have had no reliability issues at all with either of them. If you spend your money wisely and buy a decent one to start with, and maintain it properly in accordance with the schedule (and a couple of other little tips you will soon learn from Landrover owners), you are no more likely to experience problems with it than with any other brand of 4WD.

For the money you are talking, you MIGHT even be able to find a Discovery 3. This is an even better vehicle, but for those dollars I'm not sure what you might end up with. Stay clear of the petrol V6 in that model (pretty gutless and chew fuel by all accounts). The best option is the 2.7 litre TdV6 diesel - but I'd expect that one of these may be a little above what you are willing to pay. The big advantage of the Discovery 3 is that if you want 7 seats - NOTHING else on the market offers a third seating row WITH LEGROOM like this vehicle does. When not in use, the third row seats fold down flush into the floor of the vehicle - this hole in the floor becomes the footwell when the seats are in use - meaning that third row passengers do not sit with their knees up around their ears as in most other so called 7 seaters.

I have had 4 Prado's, a Disco 1, currently a Disco 2 and have driven a couple of Disco 3's - while I have a lot of time for the Prado, I will confidently state that the Disco (especially the Disco 3) is a better vehicle in almost every respect than the Prado. Have never driven a Pajero, so can't compare the two.

I don't mind the new Pathfinder either - love that diesel engine in them. But they are a very different vehicle to a Disco. The Disco would be a much easier vehicle to drive in the city.

If you want to find out more about Disco's from people who own them, log onto the Australian Landrover Owners forum - a great place for info. Australian Land Rover Owners

smac
Avid Poster

Unread post by smac » August 29th, 2010, 6:19 pm

thanks mate,
ihave a had a look at Disco's - i dont think i would be able to get a Disco3 in good condition, for the money, but a SeriesII most likely.

I used to have a Range Rover classic so i know about the sitting up high, as its great in them as well - it was actually a very easy 4wd to drive, could stear with 1 hand and that was a 1986 model.

from what i understand the Disco2 had a lot better reliabilty etc too (?)

what is the differences between the D2's. Is the D2a the earlier shape/lights etc?

what sort of fuel economy do the V8's get in the DiscoII or Disco3?

BMKal
Part of the furniture

Unread post by BMKal » September 2nd, 2010, 7:42 pm

I've got one of the earlier ('91) Disco 2's. There's a lot of stories around about reliability issues - but I'm on my second Disco and have never had any problems with either. I also used to have a RR Classic 2 door, and actually had a few more issues with that, but it always managed to get me home, though admittedly with only one gear on one occasion. :D

The Disco 2a as it is commonly referred to is the tail end of the Disco 2 series - from 2003 onwards until the Disco 3 replaced them. These are generally acknowledged as being the better of the model. They can be easily picked from the earlier Disco's by the headlights and tail lights. The headlights on the 2a are the more modern looking ones with the separate hi/lo beam segments, similar to what is in the D3 / D4, whereas the earlier D2's had a plain rectangular headlight. Front indicators / side clearance lights are also different. While the tail lights on all D2's are up high (compared with lower position on the D1's) the D2a has the indicator in the upper / main tail light and the reversing lights in the bumper with the rear fog lights. On the earlier D2's (like mine), it's the opposite - the indicators are in the bumper with the fog lights, and the reversing lights are in the upper / main tail lights.

The biggest difference mechanically is the centre diff lock (CDL). When Landrover first bought out the D2, they decided that their new traction control was all that was necessary (together with low range), and they did away with the centre diff lock. In the earliest of the D2's ('99, '01), the mechanical components for the centre diff lock were actually still in the transmission - just the actuator and connection were missing. It is common practice for owners of these vehicle to fit either Landrover or aftermarket actuators (or there are some more bodgy ways of doing it) so that the CDL works in the vehicle. In the 2002 model, Landrover removed the mechanical components of the CDL as well, so it is a much more involved job if you want to return a working CDL to this model. The Disco 2 update or 2a came out in 2003, and in this model, Landrover returned the fully functional centre diff lock after many complaints from owners of earlier D2's.

A D2 with traction control and a fully functional centre diff lock is a very capable off road vehicle which, out of the box, left most of its competitors for dead in off road ability (and on road comfort). There are a few known problems with them, but if you are aware of these and address them before they become an issue, they are as reliable as anything else on the road, despite what some of the armchair experts will try to tell you. The info on the common problems is readily available in places like Australian Land Rover Owners and the "fixes" to these problems are not expensive, and can generally be done by anyone handy with a spanner in their own backyard. I've done pretty much all of the recommended things myself at home.

Can't really comment on the fuel economy of the D2 V8's - mine is a TD5 (though I'll say that the V8's are not known for being economical whatever model you're looking at). My previous Disco was a D1 V8 and it was reasonably thirsty, though no worse than the 4 litre V6 120 series Prado I had as a work vehicle at the same time. Where the Prado came out way in front was having 180 litres fuel capacity vs about 90 in the Disco. The Td5 diesel in the D2 is one of the most economical engines on the road, especially in a vehicle of this size and weight. I regularly get around 9 to 9.5 litres per 100 km on long trips, and that's usually pretty loaded in the back and with roof rails and an awning on top. Pulling a 6x4 trailer with a moderate load doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on the fuel economy, but my camper trailer which is heavier drops me back to about 11.5 to 12 litres per 100 km at about 100 km/h, which is still pretty good.

Personally, I prefer the Td5 and would not go for the V8 - there's a lot more that you can do with the Td5 and the economy of these things is incredible. For the money you're looking at, you should be able to find a very nice D2a with either a Td5 or a V8 - whichever you prefer.

smac
Avid Poster

Unread post by smac » September 2nd, 2010, 10:02 pm

thanks mate.
i only asked about the v8 as i loved the sound of the v8 i had in my Rangie - and it was stock as well, just a real nice sweet rumble! it used to average a bout 15l/100 out on the highway, over 17L/100 around town.
thanks for the info, i will keep my eyes open, i have a fair while so time will tell hey.
i have been poking around the aulro site off and on for a long time.

cheers,
Smac

BMKal
Part of the furniture

Unread post by BMKal » September 3rd, 2010, 4:22 am

Yeah the V8's do sound nice. They tell me that the Td5's with the centre muffler replaced by a bit of straight pipe sound pretty sweet as well, especially if you're into a bit of turbo whistle. Mine's standard though, and will more than likely stay that way.

The best sounding I've had was before the first Disco - an F100 with a 6.5 litre V8 Chev diesel in it - sounded magic.

Another that sounds really good is the new 70 series Cruiser V8 diesel utes and troopies with a decent exhaust system on them - there's a couple around Kalgoorlie that have been modified and sound absolutely brilliant - even better than the V8 Discos and Rangies. There was a RR Sport TdV8 where I had a flat in Fremantle last year that also sounded pretty mean - a decent exhaust and a supercharger on it made all the difference. Bit out of my price range though. :D

If I want noise, there's a Mazda RX7 in my shed that is a long way from original - it's an imported model that was never released in Australia and has some pretty good gear on it - but it guzzles more fuel than a V8 Commodore, especially as it's blowing their doors off. ;) Not mine - it's my young bloke's toy, but I get out in it occasionally for something different.

Disco_S.two
Been here a while

Re: Disco for an all rounder??...

Unread post by Disco_S.two » September 22nd, 2010, 11:48 am

I have a 2002 Td5 D2. And it has been the very model of reliability. For those dollars definitely look at the D2a.

All the best.

Waz

Snerk
Been here a while

Unread post by Snerk » November 4th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Endorse all of the above. My D1 is very reliable and the wife loves driving it.

hillbilly83
Been here a while

Unread post by hillbilly83 » November 18th, 2010, 9:47 pm

you really do need a TOYOTA
2H 0 - 60, it can eventually happen.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » November 19th, 2010, 11:16 am

hillbilly83 wrote:you really do need a TOYOTA
Why go third class when you can go first class.

Return to “General Land Rover”