i want to buy a new disc 4

The original 4WD
smac
Avid Poster

Unread post by smac » August 30th, 2010, 9:49 pm

i wouldnt get caught up in a the personal opinions of people who love their brand and hate the other brand. I find it really funny that some will love Nissan/Toyota/Landy/Jeep etc etc and get almost into a fist fight about it, yet its just a massive multinational manufacturer whos main goal is to make a buck, so they will cut corners where they can to save dollars in making the car and yet still charge the same to make the profit.

most of this hype is based on marketing - look at the holden / ford thing, is one really better than the other?

Is the D4 good? yep its great.
is the l200 good, yep, my mate has one and its great.
Drive one and see which you prefer!

i think the warranties etc etc come down to the dealer and the service they provide and how well they actually service your vehicle, and this applies to all makes, i've had some interesting times with my xtrail, you have to prove to the dealer that there is noise / rattle or what ever and i have also had some very bad experience with a toyota dealer as well.

I would drop into a Landy repair shop and have a chat with the mechanic - they always have the best advice, and are usually top blokes as well.
just purchased an 2010 SR5 ... waiting...

mr_diesel60
Avid Poster

Re:

Unread post by mr_diesel60 » December 10th, 2010, 8:04 am

BMKal wrote:
garrycol wrote:What a silly question.

Yeah. Didn't you know - anyone with any brains would be looking to get into a 60 Series. :crazy:
And whats wrong with a 60?

garrycol
Avid Poster

Re: i want to buy a new disc 4

Unread post by garrycol » December 10th, 2010, 10:54 am

Actually nothing - they were a great vehicle for their time. I found them nice to drive, soft riding for leaf springs and reasonably comfortable.

The problem is that many Toyota drivers - particularly on this forum - seem to not want to accept that there are other capable 4wds, whereas drivers of other brands seem to be more accommodating - after all you rarely see Rover owners going into the Toyota section and slagging them off but you often see the reverse. This is a small minority of Toyota drivers of course and most are great people driving great cars.

In my family we have a brand new HiLux (2 weeks old), a brand new V8 Diesel Cruiser tray back and my RRS - all are great cars - of course my RRS is the best :) but they are all good.

mr_diesel60
Avid Poster

Unread post by mr_diesel60 » December 10th, 2010, 12:28 pm

garrycol wrote:Actually nothing - they were a great vehicle for their time. I found them nice to drive, soft riding for leaf springs and reasonably comfortable.

The problem is that many Toyota drivers - particularly on this forum - seem to not want to accept that there are other capable 4wds, whereas drivers of other brands seem to be more accommodating - after all you rarely see Rover owners going into the Toyota section and slagging them off but you often see the reverse. This is a small minority of Toyota drivers of course and most are great people driving great cars.

In my family we have a brand new HiLux (2 weeks old), a brand new V8 Diesel Cruiser tray back and my RRS - all are great cars - of course my RRS is the best :) but they are all good.
Lol I don't know about a soft ride!
I agree. I think it's personal choice what people chose. It's been an interesting read this thread though. I think Toyotas command too much of a price - especially the diesel ones. I like the look of the Disco. I wouldn't mind having one parked in my driveway :thumb:

I guess we will just have to wait and see how the disco and 200's hold up after 10-15 years

BMKal
Part of the furniture

Unread post by BMKal » December 27th, 2010, 6:48 pm

mr_diesel60 wrote:I guess we will just have to wait and see how the disco and 200's hold up after 10-15 years
I don't think that any of today's crop of 4WD wagons will stand up as well over 20 years as the 60 Series has to be honest.

They all stopped building them that tough years ago.

I used to have a 60 Series out in the Tanami Desert in the 80's - it was bullet proof. Have had plenty of more comfortable and some more capable 4WD's since, but I don't think that many of them will be on the road for as long as the average 60 Series. My parents had one of the first 60 Series in Australia up in Mount Carbine in Queensland. was a petrol 6 with 4 speed manual. Apart from guzzling way more juice than the V8 Rangie that I had at the time, it never missed a beat. They only sold it because they moved to Tumut in NSW and the rego fees that the thieving NSW government put on large 4WD's made it too expensive for them to own. They replaced it with a Toyota Tercel. Yuk.

brad72
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by brad72 » March 9th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Nothing like digging up an old post but the disco bashing really amuses me. I've had my d4 for 12 months and 21,000Km and had a total of zero problems. My brother RRS has 65,000km and zero problems. His D2 before that, 100,000+ km and zero problems.

A car is a car, you either like it or hate it. I drove nissan's, prado's, cruisers and pajero's before getting the D4 but the others just didn't match the price, ride quality, features, off road handling etc, etc, etc. I did have my heart set on the Prado but it just wasn't user friendly inside, rear seats too small for an adult, and just felt cheap. Even my base model D4 has satnav, leather seats, leather trim, air suspension and the list goes on.

Yes I was hesitant given the bad rap the brand has received over the years but lets face it, any modern computerized car will be prone to problems and is going to be hard to fix in the middle of nowhere, regardless of the brand. Just open the bonnet and theres a mess of vacuum tubes, sensors etc, not like the old days where your choice of faults were pretty much carby, fuel or spark. What are most of the problems that people encounter, faulty sensors or a software glitch.

Buy the vehicle you like and drive it. If it breaks down, who cares, it's a machine and machines break down regardless of the brand. All the parts in vehicles they days are made by a handful of suppliers so shared betweens all makes and models so we're all in the same boat. But also isn't that why we have a warranty and take out extended warranter's if planning to keep the car for more than 3 years. That's just smart purchasing.

The most important thing I think is the quality of dealer support in your area. If you have a niggle you should have confidence that they will be taken seriously and fix the fault. If your going on a big trip, take the time to get to know your vehicle and how to fix things, and take spares like sensors etc that could get ripped off 4WD'ing or are prone to failure.

Return to “General Land Rover”