i want to buy a new disc 4

The original 4WD
joeT
Been here a while

i want to buy a new disc 4

Unread post by joeT » July 29th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Now Question specially for disco 3 owners an land rover fans.... does 1 know or thinks it possible to get myself a new disc 4 to do roughly the same job as my 105 crusier which is lifted locked an well pretty set up. Like to update but can this new car do the job, the 4x4 WILL be used for what a 4x4 are made for...................................

muzza01
Part of the furniture

Unread post by muzza01 » July 30th, 2010, 12:49 pm

There is no way I would go from a 105 cruza to any disco full stop. If I was sticking to the black top maybe, but sure as hell not offroad away from civilisation.
105 Series Turbo Diesel Cruza, 3 inch mandrel Taipan exhaust, BFG Km2's, 12K lb winch. 3 inch lift. Steel rear bar and twin wheel carriers. Dual Batteries with monitor, Brush bars, side steps, Roof Rack, Cargo barrier, UHF.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 30th, 2010, 1:18 pm

A standard D4 will do everything your Toyo will do and more and do it in comfort.

Garry

BMKal
Part of the furniture

Unread post by BMKal » July 30th, 2010, 10:42 pm

Yep definitely mate. A D4 will run rings around a 105 on or off road. However, the Toyota has some advantages if you want to modify suspension / tyres etc. There are more constraints with the D4, especially if you opt for the 3L diesel.

Given the choice, I'd go for the Disco any day. Drive one and you will soon see why so many Toyota owners are making the change, especially if looking to upgrade from a 100 series to a 200 series. The Disco is a better buy than the 200 in any thinking person's money.

My overall preference though, is an 80 series GXL Turbo Diesel - if you can still find a good one around.

muzza01
Part of the furniture

Unread post by muzza01 » July 30th, 2010, 11:56 pm

I am not going to get into a pizzling contest. Put it this way if you were wanting to take a D4 up the Cape with my group in 3 weeks time i would say "meet me there, don't travel with me as I don't want to worry about your bus".
Everyone knows that D4's don't like vibration, dirt, dust, mud and water.
Joe everyone has an opinion worth listening to. You buy whatever vehicle you want.
A D4 "running rings around a Cruza up the Cape". What an absolute joke. got a mate who recovers buggerd 4x4s from the Cape. He works out of Cooktown. His most recovered car 'DISCOS" His favourite car to recover "DISCOS". Not only does he get the recovery fee from the Cape to Cooktown but when its a DISCO, no one in Cooktown can fix them. He gets to tow it a futher 350 kms all the way bacK to Cairns to get fixed. He loves DISCOS as he makes a really good living out of them during the tourist season. PM me and I will give you his phone number and you can get his opinion. He has a thousand funny stories to tell. Good luck with whatever you choose. Regards Muz
105 Series Turbo Diesel Cruza, 3 inch mandrel Taipan exhaust, BFG Km2's, 12K lb winch. 3 inch lift. Steel rear bar and twin wheel carriers. Dual Batteries with monitor, Brush bars, side steps, Roof Rack, Cargo barrier, UHF.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 31st, 2010, 11:50 am

muzza01 wrote: Everyone knows that D4's don't like vibration, dirt, dust, mud and water.
Who is everyone? What a load of crap.

And everyone knows that 100 series crack their front ends over corrugations and when 200 series need a tow they too have to go back too Cairns. Everyone knows the new V8 is diesel is so good that it had to be withdrawn from sale to try an fix problems and that when you travel with them you need to tow the Exon Valdez behind to refill the engine with oil. Also there are so many prospective 200 buyers who realise that they are crap and shifting to the D4 - of and lets nor forget the latest landcruiser recall.

Come on - lets stick with the facts.

Joe has a nice 105 that he he is thinking about upgrading - a new purchase is expensive no matter what it is - I too would be asking questions but he wants the facts no hearsay - have you ever driven a D4 - doubt it. It is often better to stay with the devil you know rather something new. Out of the box there is little that needs to be done to the D4 - mainly offroad tyres but the same would apply to a 200 series. No lifts required, no diff locks. Like the 200 series the D4 spare wheel is better moved to a carrier but not to improve ground clearance but to give it a bit more range through a long range tank.

A standard D4 will be better offroad/onroad than a 105 - even with Joe's mods. A toyota is no better reliable than a D4 and vice versa - the hype comes from uninformed comment from a a friend of a friend of a 10th cousin of your best mates boss who heard it their 5 yo kid.

Toyotas are good cars - so are Discovery's.

Superfresa
Here and there

Unread post by Superfresa » July 31st, 2010, 2:12 pm

I am a huge Land Rover fan, but I wouldn't not buy one, if I had to rely on it.

Unfortunately, the only use I'd have for a Land Rover would involve me having to rely on it.

The Discovery 4 is a very capable car, as long as its working. Unfortunately, Land Rover's very long track record for unreliability and quality control is very, very far from being over. Just this week, it was rock bottom again in reliability ratings.

The Discovery 4 is probably my favorite 4WD out there, but there is no way I would buy one. In saying that, there is no way I'd consider a LC200 either. One look at it and you'll know what I mean, but furthermore, I'd feel terrible about paying 100K for essentially a softened LC80. I'd stick to a LC80 or Patrol. But if you go the Disco, good luck to you, and good on you, they are fantastic. Just make sure you get the 3.0TDI in brown!

Also, I'd be opting for the "S" version rims, which are much smaller and therefore have a higher profile - much more useful.

HBWC
Been here a while

Unread post by HBWC » July 31st, 2010, 2:44 pm

if you want real info and not be shot down go look at aulro.com
all the info you want
[b]Tin Worm[/b] the scat crawler fwd motor patroll transfer and yota diffs (canit be done for under $1000???)nope budget gone [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=88247[/url]

stoney1983
Been here a while

Unread post by stoney1983 » July 31st, 2010, 3:20 pm

It seems land rover are getting better with build quality and reliability with every model.
It seems toyota are getting worse with build quality and reliability with every model.

Maybe the two makers have met in the middle except ones on its way up from now whilst the other is on the downhill.

joeT
Been here a while

Unread post by joeT » July 31st, 2010, 5:51 pm

Well i'm getting answers.....Some love, Some hate... but all imput appreciated.

BMKal
Part of the furniture

Unread post by BMKal » August 3rd, 2010, 12:46 pm

muzza01 wrote: Everyone knows that D4's don't like vibration, dirt, dust, mud and water.

A D4 "running rings around a Cruza up the Cape". What an absolute joke.

As said elsewhere - who's everyone ? This is pure BS and anyone who knows anything at all about the D4 knows it. Yes, there have been some previous problems with Discos, but the general consensus of the people who know (including 4WD Action judging by which vehicle has won their latest comparison) is that these problems are things of the past. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about Toyota, where the trend is opposite.

As for the second comment - obviously made by someone who actually knows nothing at all about the vehicle, but who gains his "knowledge" from other ill informed idiots. Try getting a few FACTS behind you for a change - get in a D4 and try it. You will find, as have many others including the test drivers of pretty much every 4WD magazine in the world, that a D4 WILL run rings round a 100 series on or off road. The only area where I would rate a 100 series better (and yes, I have owned one so not just relying on the rubbish spruiked by others) is as a tow vehicle, particularly if you are towing something heavier. There is no disputing the Toyota's strength in this area. But as for reliability - well I've had an 80 series, a 100 series and two Disco's. By far the most UNRELIABLE of these has been the 100 series. It was also the LEAST capable off road. But it WAS the best tow vehicle.

As far as taking a trip up to the Cape with "your group" goes, well I don't think that I would want to. :zzz:

I'm happy to travel with anyone regardless of what vehicle they choose - but I have generally found that the type who like to restrict who they travel with based on their ill informed opinion of another person's vehicle choice are best left to their own devices. It's their loss really, not mine. I'd much rather spend my time in the company of people who can see the pros and cons of a whole range of vehicles, and who respect the choice of other people regardless of their own one eyed views.

muzza01
Part of the furniture

Unread post by muzza01 » August 3rd, 2010, 4:17 pm

JoeT,
As I said earlier,”I AM NOT GOING TO GET INTO A PIZZLING CONTEST”
Do yourself a big favour and click onto the link below. There are pages and pages and pages of “EVERYONE” unhappy with their DISCO 3 and 4. There are also other links available on this site for you to view. These people (unlike me) are owners of the Disco 4. As I said earlier, I hope you enjoy your new purchase and I hope it provides relatively trouble free motoring for you; best of luck with whatever you choose to buy. Oh, the offer of PMing me for the phone number of my mate (A PATROL owner) who recovers the vehicles out of Cooktown is still open to you.

Land Rover Discovery Review (Reviews) and Report, Land Rover Discovery Recall

Garrycol, BMKAL
I wasn’t turning this into a Toyota vs Landrover rant in any way. I was comparing the 105 and the D4 as JoeT requested. Quote”Will the D4 do the same thing as a lifted and locked 105 driving as a 4X4 as what 4X4’s are made for” unquote. He didn’t ask about the comfiness as a Tourac tractor.
I was not comparing a 100S or a 200S to the D4 as that was not what Joe asked or Landrover vs Toyota for that matter. I was just answering the question to the best of my ability that Joe asked. Firstly the 100S and 105S are two very different vehicles; and I agree with you, I certainly wouldn’t buy a 200S either.

“Who is everyone”? See above link containing testimonials from Landrover owners.

“Lets stick to the facts” See above link containing testimonials from Landrover owners

As for my friend being an ill formed idiot. That BMKAL is your opinion and considering you have never met him it is a little hypocrytical. He is not only my very good friend but a relative. He is nearly 60 years old and half deaf but no certainly no idiot. His knowledge of bush mechanics, diesel and petrol engines and life skills are exceptional. He has grown up in the Cape all of his life and his knowledge of this area comes with 60 years of real experience. He is not ill informed but has gained his experiences first hand and is one of the most generous, knowledgeable and honest people I know.

As it appears that some members are taking things personally and are throwing around insults on the forum; this will be my last post on this thread. I will gladly let you Garry and BMKal have the last say.

P.S.
BMKAL,
You don’t worry about taking a trip up the Cape with my group and please don’t be offended as it was never an invitation in the first place.

A note to the moderators - Perhaps the moderation of this blog needs to change focus, from worrying about personal attacks to the actual content and approach to the original request from Joe.

Psimpson7

Unread post by Psimpson7 » August 4th, 2010, 9:01 am

Mmmm a blog set up by someone with an obvious agenda... how many of those reports are actually from owners I wonder.

I would make use of Aulro, which I see you already are, as there are quite a few owners on there, and I cant recall that many issues being mentioned.

Yet another thread in the LR section turning to rubbish.. who would have thought it...

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » August 4th, 2010, 10:48 am

Psimpson7 wrote:Mmmm a blog set up by someone with an obvious agenda... how many of those reports are actually from owners I wonder.

Yet another thread in the LR section turning to rubbish.. who would have thought it...
There are a few similar websites for Cruisers as well - one is Toyota Landcruiser 200 Series- "Oh what a lemon......"

I think some Toyota drivers just feel threatened by our Landies - or maybe they are closet Landie lovers and go over the top to hide their love - or maybe they just have a small ...... and need to compensate for this deficiency by attacking anything that is not Toyota

To all the other Toyota drivers who feel great in their Toyotaness and do not feel challenged by other makes - good on ya. They are a great vehicle as are most of the other mainstream makes.

Garry

DVSV8
Been here a while

Unread post by DVSV8 » August 4th, 2010, 11:53 pm

having worked in a toyota dealership and currently working in a land rover dealership and driven and experienced both cars first hand, they are both great cars.

personally i would trust a landcruiser more so over a rover. the amount of after market goodies and dealer support for the toyota would be a big selling point for me. But for comfort and capability the disco is a much better vehicle.

if i wanted something to take out in the scrub and take me back home, no hesitation in buying a cruiser. if money wasnt an object and i didnt care about resale depreciation the disco wins. i wouldnt own one that wasnt under new car warranty.

Return to “General Land Rover”