strange wurring noise in v8 disco

The original 4WD
woodchopper
Getting to know the place

strange wurring noise in v8 disco

Unread post by woodchopper » April 29th, 2010, 10:52 am

Hi Guys, my brother has a v8 disco that make a strange wurring upon depressoin of the accelerator that maintains its intensity until engine revs decreases but does not go away. It seems to be coming from the mid to rear section of the vehicle but i am at a loss as to what it could be.

Any ideas?

VooDoo

Unread post by VooDoo » April 29th, 2010, 11:59 am

Check the tensioners on the engine. Noise can transmit to weird places on cars especially along the driveline. Does it happen in gear (every gear?) and in neutral?

If its only in a specific gear you could have a gearbox issue.
If all gears look at uni-joints and clutch.
Check diff's too (especially if it does changes with car speed but not engine RPM_

woodchopper
Getting to know the place

Unread post by woodchopper » April 30th, 2010, 11:44 am

Thanks mate,

Noise is heared in every gear and neutral and also whilst standing still that is why i didn;t think it was a drive train issue.

will check out clutch and engine.

Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 30th, 2010, 11:53 am

As already mentioned, it could be that you are hearing referred noise from up front somewhere, and given that it doesn't seem to be related to movement, that's probly what could be occurring. So check those things already mentioned, tensioners and belts etc, but also check for induction noises in the air intake or snorkel (if fitted), if you've got an auto it may well be trans fluid issues or torque converter noises, a manual could be making release bearing noises altho they usually vary with clutch & gear changes, or it could be coming from the fuel tank or fuel pump! Don't those petrol engines have a pump up the back somewhere?? Or does yours have an extra lift pump fitted somewhere. Apart from that check to see what happens if you turn on and/or off any/all of the electrical components inside the car - they could be making noises, or the extra load could be making the alt whir a little.

If you are having difficulty tracking down exactly which components are making what noise (like most of us who have some degree of industrial deafness or are otherwise hard of hearing!) then a mechanic's stethoscope will help - you put the earpieces on and then touch the probe to each component or various places on each component and it can help fine tune the identification of exactly what is making that noise. If you don't have one of them or can't buy one (they are usually pretty cheap & don't hafta be too flash!) you can often get away with a long handled screw driver. Hold the handle loosely into your lug hole and touch the blade end to the component - if you are somewhat hard of hearing, holding the handle onto the mastoid bone immediately behind your ear can often work better.

Good luck tracking it down - noises can be difficult!

Cheers
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

LandRover-Biohaz
Here and there

Unread post by LandRover-Biohaz » May 7th, 2010, 4:58 am

GET THE DIFF"S LUBED!!!
My dad had a 97 disco making a strange centre whirring, auto, all gears its almost a grindey whirr.... 2 weeks after my bf bogged it in the melton weir... turns out there was a large sludge build up in the diff from it sitting in the sludge for so long, got it drained cleaned and re lubed and she was sweet again. So if you havent found a solution yet, definately worth a look
I love Julian and his '86 Rangie "Drangonfly"

Snerk
Been here a while

Re: strange wurring noise in v8 disco

Unread post by Snerk » June 30th, 2011, 9:57 pm

My D1 300tdi is suddenly making a similar noise since the fuel pump was replaced, although I'd be surprised if that was related. I'm guessing belt or tnesioner, but really unsure...

Return to “General Land Rover”