Andy_b
Avid Poster

Unread post by Andy_b » November 18th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Fair enough, but the TDI are going for a good price

Andy

dannyboy
Been here a while

Unread post by dannyboy » November 18th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Chilli wrote:Yeah? Well I hate anything that is metal and out of Japan and no I don't mean their music. You'll never catch me in Jap crap and no I'm not racist, I just don't want to feed their economy anymore than I have to. And by the way, we fought with the Poms....
We fought for the poms... then they left us for the japs.

HJ12HT
Here and there

Unread post by HJ12HT » November 18th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Almost forgot the original question because I've been laughing so much after reading this post. To me this forrum is all about different peoples experience, opinions and views, some should lighten up and enjoy good bad and have a laugh.... back to the post. I operated on Cape your for several years doing tag along tours and landrovers in general, would give heaps of electrical problems from locking the owner out to wiring harnesses catching fire, Before an 18 day tour if you saw a disco in the line up, particuarly with NSW plates you knew there was problems ahead.

Indy Hepburn
Need to get out more

Unread post by Indy Hepburn » November 19th, 2009, 4:21 pm

My dad is thinking of geting an older Tdi 1990-1998 but very hard to find a diesel with low km for sale in brisbane!!!
if in doubt more right foot!

fj404all
Been here a while

Unread post by fj404all » November 23rd, 2009, 8:14 pm

im not going to say what to buy but
what i notice when browsing 4wds for sale have a look at the adds i always notice that toyota owners always say how good there cars are and that they never have to do anything to them but in the adds it always says replaced this rebuilt that new this new that i read the ads and think but hangon i thought that nothing ever broke or had to be replaced

i myself drive a 95 300tdi disco auto bought it a year ago with 130 on the clock i have now done nearly 30 000 on top of that i bought it for 5800 ac/ps power wondows i had a fan belt snap on me do toyotas not do this
i blew a power steering pump i drive with a trailer everydau reversing it into some tight spots and was always going full lock one side to the next and i was doing this when it blew would this not happen in a toyota with bigger tires
i had a welsh plug blow out of a cracked manifold because it had both mufflers removed ive since had a resinator fitted with no more trouble
and i had the gearbox overhauled coz it had a bit of trouble going into second when it was cold since than the box has been back to the shop 6 times and still not fixed this is not because its a bad box its because i paid some bonehead to claim he could fix it
so with that the only faults with the car that wasnt caused by man or modification was a snapped fan belt and a not so perfect auto
jeepin about

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » November 24th, 2009, 3:51 pm

No car is perfect - what I am saying is that I found my D2 consitently unlreliable and compared to my new car - the difference is vast.

Also it was such a pain to be out of the metro area and have a breakdown which was not uncommon - parts hard to get hold off, people who knew little about D2's.

Even when the fault was not a show stopper it was annoying. I think I drove around for most of the life of my Disco with the good old 3 ABS/TC/DHD lights litup on the dash. I got sick of paying good $$$ to get it cleared only to have it come back on a few days later.

It was reliably unreliable & reliably expensive to repaire.

If it was such a good car it would have a better reputation and you would see more of them out there but as it is there are fewer and fewer dealers around the place and when you head out of the CBD you don't see too many of them in comparison to other brands

fj404all
Been here a while

Unread post by fj404all » November 24th, 2009, 4:39 pm

mate of mine used to have a hilux it was great....at blowing front diffs, cvs, manifolds, the amount of time it spent on the road was about on par to that with a grease monkey under it
anathe mate has a hilux and smashed the diff when he had a piss weak attempt at snatching me out ,
and one other mate who also has a hilux also smashed a front diff doing easy wheeling he has a petrol and they have nothing on the consumption of a disco v8 so what im saying is if toyotas are just so great why does a v6 use as much fuel as a v8 landy why is it so easy to find a mechanic good at fixing yotas but not landys i thought toyotas were heaps good and didnt need fixing do i not have a valid point
jeepin about

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » November 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

I don't get your logic. You are not comparing apples with apples so to speak. I could come up with some fact about an individual disco that would make it look really bad against my individual new car.

I am saying generally that the D2/TD5 has a poor reputation for reliability and as a result so does LR.

My POS D2 was a horror story but others are not, but in general they don't stack up and personally I beleive are not made well for Aussie conditions

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » November 24th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Keep knocking them guys im loving this. The more they're knocked the cheaper they get and the cheaper the accessories are to buy on ebay. Dont buy Land Rovers there crap. hehe.........................

Disco_S.two
Been here a while

Unread post by Disco_S.two » November 25th, 2009, 9:39 am

timetogo wrote:I don't get your logic. You are not comparing apples with apples so to speak. I could come up with some fact about an individual disco that would make it look really bad against my individual new car.

I am saying generally that the D2/TD5 has a poor reputation for reliability and as a result so does LR.

My POS D2 was a horror story but others are not, but in general they don't stack up and personally I beleive are not made well for Aussie conditions
No you're not. You're saying that because yours was bad, they all are. And that is simply not true.

On my experience, I would recommend a Td5 D2 to anyone - BUT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT 3.5V8s.

Like any car, do you research, check it out properly, make sure maintenance has been done.

W.

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » November 25th, 2009, 2:16 pm

I am saying that due to all my hassels with my D2/TD5 I started doing alot of investigation/research. I talked to alot of LR owners in caravan parks, at the mechanics, forums ( Australian Land Rover Owners) etc etc and I have formed the opinion that there are generally alot of hassels with the D2/TD5( and V8's somewhat ). It is not a car that has a good reputation for reliability and as I said - not built for Aussie conditions of dust, heat and corregations

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » November 25th, 2009, 3:18 pm

ERASER wrote:Keep knocking them guys im loving this. The more they're knocked the cheaper they get and the cheaper the accessories are to buy on ebay. Dont buy Land Rovers there crap. hehe.........................
Happy to oblige. You need to buy a few for spare parts as there is not much on them that does not break ;)

Anyway, I have said my piece on this post. Even though the post has wandered of topic some what at least the original poster has not been told (like I was when I was looking to purchase mine ) that they are the best car in the world with barely a fault.

Adieu , adios , arrivederci , auf wiedersehen , au revoir

Disco_S.two
Been here a while

Unread post by Disco_S.two » November 25th, 2009, 3:31 pm

I just get frustrated with that logic.

You are arguing that every Land Rover ever made is unreliable because of your experience with a Td5 and what some guy said in a caravan park?!

Because of the "reputation" of the ZD30 motor, every nissan ever made is a liability?

Because of the "reputation" of Landcruiser diffs, every toyota ever made is going to give problems?

There are a lot of reputations out there and most of them are unfounded.

I wish you all the best with your new car and I hope it meets your needs. But you will never be able to convince me that my Td5 was a bad buy.

W

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » November 25th, 2009, 3:48 pm

timetogo wrote:Happy to oblige. You need to buy a few for spare parts as there is not much on them that does not break ;)
Nah don't need any spare parts for mine. Just accessories really. Come to think of it i think i have almost every accessory on it now.
As for reliability issues with v8 disco's compared to toyota's, well i think the only 2 parts that haven't been replaced on my hilux are the body and the tray. Almost everything else on it has be recoed or replaced (185000kms on clock), yet the hilux is the "claimed"reliable one?:crazy:So does that mean that hilux's are lemons? I just dont get the logic :confused:
As for disco's losing value cause there so unreliable, whats a zd30 powered patrol worth?

allivu
Here and there

Unread post by allivu » February 6th, 2010, 11:06 am

derrilex wrote:I still want to know if allivu is going to take it offroad ? I cant imagine a worse vehicle to drive around town for fuel costs, well I can but you know what I mean.
yeah sorry mate, i'm looking for the wife. she really likes em.
It'll stay on road except for the occasional camping trip.
we live in the country so most of its driving would be at the 100kms hour plus towing every know and then.

Return to “General Land Rover”