Buyin a disco...advice

The original 4WD
Chilli
Been here a while

Unread post by Chilli » November 1st, 2009, 6:45 pm

Errol wrote:Apparently the latest models are more reliable than their predecessors as most of the electronics are from Europe and the mechanicals have been sourced from all over. The diesels are now reasonably economical to run whereas the petrol versions are still heavy.
A mate has just completed a 16,000 kilometre run through the centre of Australia towing a huge home-made camper and the Landy never missed a beat.
So maybe they have improved the reliability of these behemoths, but only time will tell. They are one of those vehicles we all love to hate and enjoy every minute of it. It all seems a bit.......S&M really.
Yeah? Well I hate anything that is metal and out of Japan and no I don't mean their music. You'll never catch me in Jap crap and no I'm not racist, I just don't want to feed their economy anymore than I have to. And by the way, we fought with the Poms....
[color=green][font=Arial][/font][/color]

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » November 2nd, 2009, 4:10 pm

Chilli wrote:Yeah? Well I hate anything that is metal and out of Japan and no I don't mean their music. You'll never catch me in Jap crap and no I'm not racist, I just don't want to feed their economy anymore than I have to. And by the way, we fought with the Poms....
Well don't buy anything from England then. They brutalised many a British Colony / Commonwealth country then if you want to apply that principal.

zedsltr
Been here a while

Unread post by zedsltr » November 5th, 2009, 7:38 pm

timetogo wrote:Well don't buy anything from England then. They brutalised many a British Colony / Commonwealth country then if you want to apply that principal.
Chilli wrote:Yeah? Well I hate anything that is metal and out of Japan and no I don't mean their music. You'll never catch me in Jap crap and no I'm not racist, I just don't want to feed their economy anymore than I have to. And by the way, we fought with the Poms....

We may have fought with them, so what? Doesn't mean that we have to throw good money after bad buying their rubbish. Worldclass the POMS are not. Australia isn't a dumping ground. My other 4wd a jap crap doesn't leak rivers of oil like the disco I have or brake down as much. By the way didn't they stop buying Australian exports at one stage? Some one here maybe able to clarify that for everyone here. Landrover isn't english anymore its indian owned by TATA. Anything english isn't worlds best just look at how TOP GEAR UK talk about their countries car industry.

mr_diesel60
Avid Poster

Unread post by mr_diesel60 » November 5th, 2009, 11:27 pm

gmhholden wrote:We may have fought with them, so what? Doesn't mean that we have to throw good money after bad buying their rubbish. Worldclass the POMS are not. Australia isn't a dumping ground. My other 4wd a jap crap doesn't leak rivers of oil like the disco I have or brake down as much. By the way didn't they stop buying Australian exports at one stage? Some one here maybe able to clarify that for everyone here. Landrover isn't english anymore its indian owned by TATA. Anything english isn't worlds best just look at how TOP GEAR UK talk about their countries car industry.
Agreed....

Maybe Land Rover have lifted their game though? I've never owned one so I find it hard to comment. Still, poking fun at them passes the time!!
1985 HJ-60 2H Naturally Asperated Slug.

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » November 6th, 2009, 10:06 am

What ever good you have to say about Disco II falls under the following catagory/saying

"You can't polish a turd - you can only roll it in glitter" :D:D:D

Disco_S.two
Been here a while

Unread post by Disco_S.two » November 11th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Well, all these opinions on Td5 D2s are very interesting; all be them different to my opinion of my Td5 D2. But wasn't he asking about early V8 D1s?

You better have a thick skin getting a Landy because there are plenty of knobs around to tell you how terrible your Landy is.

Good service history is the key. And I would steer away from putting it on gas. You can buy a lot of petrol for the lower cost of a V8 and the price of conversion.

If you're tall, pay attention to the top edge of the windscreen when test driving. Some taller people find it too low.

For more info, check out aulro, there are a lot of very helpful people who know a LOT about LRs. .. makes it a very busy forum. (There is another forum I know where most of the posts are from knobs telling LR owners how terrible their Landies are)

Waz

Errol
Here and there

Unread post by Errol » November 11th, 2009, 4:29 pm

Mate, at the end of the day, you buy what suits you and stuff everyone else. It seems that all the ribbing you're getting is all in fun, so unlike some individuals, don't take it to heart. It's all part of the 'game'.
You'll get a few sincere responses, but mostly humerous ones, and of course the vigilantes who get all upset want to save the world from people like me.

Disco_S.two
Been here a while

Unread post by Disco_S.two » November 12th, 2009, 9:43 am

I apologise.

If you found the comments on a Td5 D2 useful in response to your question about 3.5 V8 D1s then I withdraw my comment.

<sarcasm>Personally, I really like it when I ask a question about Border Collies and and someone responds with how terrible Chihuahuas are.</sarcasm>

I guess I'm just used to a forum where people who actually know stuff are the ones who respond to questions.

Stick with Errol, he seems to know it all.

Waz

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » November 12th, 2009, 8:56 pm

LMAO. When ever a thread regarding land rovers is posted it always attracts the haters.
I love all makes toyota nissan and rovers. I prefer rovers the most and have a D1 V8 and i also have a hilux. Which ones better? Well how longs a peice of string?
Personally if i was buying a disco 1 id be going for a late 98 model (last of the D1's) with minimal extras. So no airbags, cruise, abs, etc. Just like any make the less electrics the better. Then find your self a good land rover mechanic. STAY AWAY FROM DEALERSHIPS. I dont believe there is a lemon car in any make. Just lemon mechanics. Then after the car never gets fixed properly the blame gets shifted onto the car. The best thing about D1's is there simplicity and ease of fixing if the need ever arrived. Plus theres plenty of forums who will give you answers in minutes. Ive owned my 98 D1 V8 for almost 10 years now. Ive always done my own oil changes and in reality have been slack towards the gereral servicing. It has never let us down. The first time its been to a mechanic was today for a leaking welsh plug. I guess that makes it a lemon now aye? So far its clocked up 180000k's without missing a beat. As for its fuel consumption i think its very economical. It returns 14l/100 on the highway and about 17.5l/100 around town. Im pretty happy with that. Being a manuel helps with consumption so does running a bit more timing and putting decent fuel in it. Weve been thinking of upgrading it the last few months. But to what? When we look around at cruisers and patrols we always end up looking at disco's again. So we'll proabaly keep it another 10 years.
The best think about land rovers now is since they have the "lemon" reputation they are cheap to buy, so you get a lot of car for your money. To all the haters out there who think they have a lemon, well if its a range rover 1984-1985 or a late disco 1 and your in sydney ill gladly buy your lemon off you at lemon prices of cause. ;)

Andy_b
Avid Poster

Unread post by Andy_b » November 13th, 2009, 8:21 am

At the moment I'm actually thinking about selling my Prado, and buying a small car for the missus, and I'm considering getting a Disco v8 manual. I have already owned a V8 auto on LPG. However If I decide to buy a Disco it WON'T be on LPG. And I would only be using this vehicle on the weekends, as I have a work car, which I can also use for private use.

As Eraser said you get alot of car for little money. They are a little more work then some. And changing the oil is a PITA (sump plug is very close to the exhaust pipes).

And Like disco s two said, I would Get one with the minimal electronics on them.

And sorry to hijack this thread, is there any problems with the v8's setting for long periods (2-3 weeks) without use. I no this isn't really that good for diesel, but what about petrols.

Andy

harvey
Been here a while

Unread post by harvey » November 14th, 2009, 6:06 am

I've had the privilate of being a student at Gaydon for LR's including stripping and rebuilding their V8's and electric courses. Great courses. You work on everything from RR Classic's to P38's to Discos S1, II's, 90's and Defenders. Problem is, genuis though their principal's are; when you get their 'quality engineer' laughing and suggesting their kind should have been just called 'engineer' and 'we just could never figure out how to stop the valley gasket problem with the V8's' you have to appreciate that they are inherantly flawed. Great thing with them is, unlike Australia, a] they're cheap as chips to repair [much more so than the Toyota's and Nissans] b] they have such an enthusiastic following people are more than willing to help you. But, when you spend as much time on the back of an AA truck as you do the tarmac and receive letter's from the UK equivalant of the NRMA saying next time we tow you we'll charge you for abusing your contract you have to ask yourself, what's more important, giving up your job to become a full time mechanic [rather than an enthusiast] or having a vehicle that's not 'quite as good' when it's reliable vs. having a reliable vehicle? I therefore choose others before LR again when in the City and as for the V8 [not applicable to this thread I know] if you travel outside of the City, don't expect much more than 200m from a tank, down hill with a tailwind... it's the sad, sad, story of completely flawed genuis imho - right std wheelbase, travel, size, hight, let down miserably by BL engineering and cutbacks... I sincerely hope you change your mind unless you are of very very strong constitution [or mechanical ability]. Having said that, I'd still love one - but darent again!

Errol
Here and there

Unread post by Errol » November 14th, 2009, 6:40 am

Oi Allivu...how are you going with your Disco decision?
Did you get the disco or are you still looking?
If you have your heart set on the Disco, then buy the bloody thing, cause I reckon you'll get plenty of support both here and the Aulro site.
As long as you can handle the P155 being taken out of you, it shouldn't be too bad. Good dog, I own a Range Rover and I know what it's like, but at the end of the day, I actually don't mind the old girl.

jackxr6
Been here a while

Unread post by jackxr6 » November 14th, 2009, 8:37 am

Sorry I can't help with the D1 V8 but I did own a D2 TD5 and my wife and I both loved it.
We bought it with 140,000 k's on the clock and sold it 50,000 k's later.
We had one issue with it which was the fuel pressure regulator, not bad considering we owned it for 4 or 5 years.

Why did we sell it?
Because we were moving to the cape and wanted a simple 4WD we could fix ourselves and something that had minimal electrics, ie not computer controlled, no power windows/mirrors etc.
If we were just doing a short trip to the cape instead of moving there I would have had no hesitations taking the Disco.

We are thinking about starting a family and if successful will buy a D3 as our family car.

It's horses for courses.
At the time of buying our Landy we were looking at Prado's and Pajero's as well but decided they don't even come close to a Disco in comfort and style.

Go with the Disco mate :thumb:
1992 Troopy HZJ75RV

Buckman
Avid Poster

Unread post by Buckman » November 15th, 2009, 4:31 pm

harvey wrote:I've had the privilate of being a student at Gaydon for LR's including stripping and rebuilding their V8's and electric courses. Great courses. You work on everything from RR Classic's to P38's to Discos S1, II's, 90's and Defenders. Problem is, genuis though their principal's are; when you get their 'quality engineer' laughing and suggesting their kind should have been just called 'engineer' and 'we just could never figure out how to stop the valley gasket problem with the V8's' you have to appreciate that they are inherantly flawed. Great thing with them is, unlike Australia, a] they're cheap as chips to repair [much more so than the Toyota's and Nissans] b] they have such an enthusiastic following people are more than willing to help you. But, when you spend as much time on the back of an AA truck as you do the tarmac and receive letter's from the UK equivalant of the NRMA saying next time we tow you we'll charge you for abusing your contract you have to ask yourself, what's more important, giving up your job to become a full time mechanic [rather than an enthusiast] or having a vehicle that's not 'quite as good' when it's reliable vs. having a reliable vehicle? I therefore choose others before LR again when in the City and as for the V8 [not applicable to this thread I know] if you travel outside of the City, don't expect much more than 200m from a tank, down hill with a tailwind... it's the sad, sad, story of completely flawed genuis imho - right std wheelbase, travel, size, hight, let down miserably by BL engineering and cutbacks... I sincerely hope you change your mind unless you are of very very strong constitution [or mechanical ability]. Having said that, I'd still love one - but darent again!
Brilliant, say no more!
[font="Comic Sans MS"][b][i][SIZE="3"]"Must be some-where............................... Can't be no-where"[/SIZE][/i][/b][/font] ;)

[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=3626&im=1[/url]

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » November 17th, 2009, 3:40 pm

Andy_b wrote:At the moment I'm actually thinking about selling my Prado, and buying a small car for the missus, and I'm considering getting a Disco v8 manual.
Andy
R U NUTS????? :crazy::crazy::crazy:;)

They are about the same size. However with the Disco V8 you do have to to your own fuel tanler/trailer with you to go any distance

Return to “General Land Rover”