Buyin a disco...advice

The original 4WD
allivu
Here and there

Buyin a disco...advice

Unread post by allivu » July 10th, 2009, 8:56 am

Hi Guys, I'm looking at a bigger family car for the wife and we have decided that even thought they drink heaps we want a disco around the 92-94 V8 models. I'm hoping to find one that has never left the bitumen as we want it to stay on road anyway...

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to any bad points to look for?
I've heard some have electrical problems, anything in particular or just random...
How are the gearbox's and the v8's? Do they run well on gas or don't bother?

Cheers
Ben

dazzler66
Avid Poster

Unread post by dazzler66 » July 10th, 2009, 10:16 am

allivu wrote: Can anyone point me in the right direction as to any bad points to look for?
try aulro.com

They have huge threads on disco's.

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » October 13th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Just don't ( if you have not allready )

grimbo
Need to get out more

Unread post by grimbo » October 13th, 2009, 4:33 pm

timetogo wrote:Just don't ( if you have not allready )
nothing like a helpful post, and that was nothing like one.

If people have nothing to add that will help with the decision then keep it to yourself ok.
[color="Orange"]smart has the plans

stupid has the stories[/color]

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » October 13th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Nice work Grimbo, saw a familiar pattern forming there. The earlier Discos are pretty reliable if you can still find a good one with a documented history, just make sure everything works like electric windows A/C etc as anything 14 to 16 years old will show some problem if not looked after. Autos are good and the manual is reliable and the V8 has a bigger clutch than the TDi and runs okay on a good gas system. The V8 will be a lot cheaper than a diesel too. Sure you want one for the road though?

derrilex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by derrilex » October 13th, 2009, 7:14 pm

I dont get it Allivu, are you not going to take it off road ?

Andy_b
Avid Poster

Unread post by Andy_b » October 14th, 2009, 8:10 am

I had a Disco V8 auto on gas (impco system) always properly tuned, and they will get about 30L/100km around town. Go for the diesel, there a good little motor which gets around 11l/100km.

Andy

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » October 16th, 2009, 1:12 pm

grimbo wrote:nothing like a helpful post, and that was nothing like one.

If people have nothing to add that will help with the decision then keep it to yourself ok.
I was being helpfull. I had a Disco for 4 years.

The most expensive and the most unreliable car I have ever had.

Cost me 36K to buy - 15K on parts - a whole lot of stress and I could only sell if for 12K :(

It never ever ever did the right thing. Your Disco may well be fine but try taking it out to any place a reasonable distance from civilization and have it break down. Not to many spare parts out there and not to many places that like or know how to fix them either.

I called my Disco... my POS. I am sure you can figure out what that means.

Just look at all the daily posts on aulro.com. Its a busy forum because there are endless problems

derrilex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by derrilex » October 16th, 2009, 3:21 pm

I still want to know if allivu is going to take it offroad ? I cant imagine a worse vehicle to drive around town for fuel costs, well I can but you know what I mean.

mr_diesel60
Avid Poster

Unread post by mr_diesel60 » October 17th, 2009, 3:44 am

timetogo wrote:I was being helpfull. I had a Disco for 4 years.

Cost me 36K to buy - 15K on parts - a whole lot of stress and I could only sell if for 12K :(

It never ever ever did the right thing. Your Disco may well be fine but try taking it out to any place a reasonable distance from civilization and have it break down. Not to many spare parts out there and not to many places that like or know how to fix them either.

Just look at all the daily posts on aulro.com. Its a busy forum because there are endless problems
Just another satisfied customer.... How old was it when you bought it? What are you driving around in now?
1985 HJ-60 2H Naturally Asperated Slug.

Wortho
Here and there

Unread post by Wortho » October 17th, 2009, 7:39 am

Its a busy forum because there are endless problems
That's just got to be one of the most stupid comments i have ever seen, if you actually believe that it's pretty sad.

Andy_b
Avid Poster

Unread post by Andy_b » October 17th, 2009, 7:51 am

If you look at the toyota and nissan section on this forum there much busier then the Rover one. And ladas never get a mention so they most to ultra reliable.

Andy

Mikey0211
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mikey0211 » October 17th, 2009, 8:50 am

timetogo wrote:I was being helpfull. I had a Disco for 4 years.

Well, youve convinced me???:confused:

the early V8's are very reliable engines and extremely simple ones at that..

If you don't mind posting it up, I'd like to know what the 15k of parts was on????..

zedsltr
Been here a while

Unread post by zedsltr » October 18th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Andy_b wrote:If you look at the toyota and nissan section on this forum there much busier then the Rover one. And ladas never get a mention so they most to ultra reliable.

Andy

Lada's! What's a Lada, please explain? lol. Never heard of them.

Just about the toyota and nissans. They are like that on the forum because every second house has one or the other and hardly any one has a disco. I've got one, a diesel and I wish I didn't. The wreckers around in my area practically know me by name because I'm around there so often. No, I don't work there but I do have to go there to get parts. I'd love to sell it and get something else like a nissan or toyota but I don't think the disco's worth much anyway so I couldn't afford anything else even if I wanted too.

To answer the original posters question if your not going anywhere off road don't by a car like that of any brand. Just by yourself something like a hyundai santa fe or someother kind of SUV. In other words, if you just want something that looks like a 4wd but isn't. Go for a soft roader.

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » October 19th, 2009, 5:36 pm

It was a 99 Disco II Td5

Most expensive items to fix/replace

1. Autotrans two times
2. ABS modulator

Other items

Fuel Pump
Fuel pressure regulator
Cardon joint on drive shaft
ABS sensors
Injector wiring loom - two times
SLS compressor
SLS suspension airbag
Exhaust maniffold studs - too many times to remember
XYZ sensor on autotrans

And thats not the complete list

And I did not thrash it - it got serviced very regularly - driven mostly by my wife as a family car.

I refer to it now as my POS. ( use your imagination )

I had to get the POS towed from Darwin to Perth once because I could not fins someone to work on it. I would have had to wait approx 3 months to get an autotrans person to do the work

After I sold it I was contacted by the new owner because of his autotrans cooling line(s) blew off ( not an uncommon problem I beleive ).

An absolute POS!!!

As to what I have now - well its a whole lot more reliable ( for similar K's ) then my POS. But that is not hard. I'd even buy one of those funny SSAYNG YONG ( however you spell them ) things before I'd go Disco again

I used to belong to AULRO forum and I can tell you that compared to the LCOOL forum - there is alot more people having grief n the AULRO forum

Return to “General Land Rover”